Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

What is the Best Gas Engine Swap Meet?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 4975 times

Old 03-06-2008, 12:10:53 PM
Registered-II

Default What is the Best Gas Engine Swap Meet?

Hello fellow engine collectors,
I would like to poll all of you on what you think is the best gas engine and parts swap meet. I would like you rate these shows on the amount of gas engines for sale and the selection of used parts to restore these engines. Hopefully this information will help new collectors get their first engine and old collectors finish their never ending projects! Thank you in advance for your response.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2008, 02:26:59 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: What is the Best Gas Engine Swap Meet?

I think it would be the rusty iron vendors area at the August Portland, Indiana show.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:59:10 PM
Subscriber

I haven't been to all of them but of those I have been to LaSuer MN. ranks right up there. Unless its raining then its just cold and miserable. You know how MN and WI are. Unless its Mid July, its winter....
Old 03-06-2008, 04:02:59 PM
Sky

Id say Portland indiana hands down. May and august. October aint getting to bad eaither. But there's a legend about cool spring going on Actually all the swaps aint to bad, they all try there best, my hats off to'em, but portland indiana is arguably the most plentiful for GAS engine stuff. Steamers, not so much. it's just a matter of preferance. expecially when you are not able to go out of state.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07:31 PM
Registered-III

We drive over 600 miles to go to Portland every May .Four of us go and take a empty 18' trailer and truck and come back overloaded. We all have slightly different interest but we all buy every year. I went to Florida Flywheelers this year,nice place, expertly run, beautiful weather, came back without buying anything. I also have had good luck buying and selling in Arden N.C. in October, and Gastonia N.C. in October. Will have to wait for retirement to travel to the far North and Northwest.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11:27 PM
Subscriber

The best swap meet is one where you find something special, that you can't go home without!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:01:39 PM
Subscriber

I have only been to Arden this past year but for a show that size I came home with a lot of parts (as opposed to whole engines). If you are close enough to go for the day I would certainly recommend it. The little show in Silk Hope, NC sometimes has some good stuff. I can't imagine what a big show like Portland might have. Denton is the biggest show around here & the used parts selection is not real good (lots of stuff to see there, & I wouldn't miss the show).
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40:46 PM
Registered-III

I used to like Waukee,Ia.,then I liked Lesuer,MN.now I like
Baraboo,WI. best,But I'm just an engine collector.Others have more variety for tractors and collectables...But I never attended a bad one.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29:09 AM
Registered-III

Talking Re: What is the Best Gas Engine Swap Meet?

For my Two Cents Portland tops them all... I have yet to come home without more treasures than my wife can unload... Coolspring PA is another really great show with some outstanding displays. Both shows offer some of the friendliest and helpfull people around...
Old 05-03-2018, 08:59:47 AM
Registered-II

LeSueur Pioneer Power Swap meet then Baraboo then Portland............just my two cents worth........