Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Allis 20-35 Transmission Lubrication

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1198 times

Old 07-17-2009, 04:54:21 AM
Richard Sturdy

Default Allis 20-35 Transmission Lubrication

Advice please from Stakkers with Allis 20-35 experience - Having finished the restoration of my Allis, I am now preparing it for working and have come to the question of transmission lubrication. The (very basic) handbook refers to the use of "fibre gear compound" for the final drives and does not mention quantity. Will semi-fluid grease be suitable instead and as there is neither a drain nor a level plug on the final drive case, how much should I put in? Also, on the main transmission housing, there is a small "cup" with a flap cover fitted at approximately the point where I would expect to find the level plug - should the transmission oil come up to the top of this cup to be correct? The handbook is unhelpful on these matters.

Tricky Dickie
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 08:08:24 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Allis 20-35 transmission lubrication

Richard here is what my book says I quote:

Transmission and differential
Summer No. 160
Winter No. 90
For extremely cold temps add light motor oil. Lubricant must flow at prevailing temps.

Keep Transmission case filled to within inch of top of inspection cup, located on left side of case, when doing draw bar work. When doing belt work keep filled to top of inspection cup.

Rear drive wheel gears

Use heavy fibre compound or a mixture of cup grease and transmission oil as needed.

End quote.

Have also been told to use like 400w or 600w in transmission, I think they mean in the final drives.

Paul
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03:22 AM
Richard Sturdy

Default Re: Allis 20-35 transmission lubrication

Thanks for that Paul. From what you say, I reckon that semi-fluid grease will be a close match to the recommendation for the final drives. I was going to use SEA 250 in the main transmission; do you think that this will be too thick for summer use and that I should switch to 140?

Tricky Dickie
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48:56 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,113 Posts
Default Re: Allis 20-35 Transmission Lubrication

I would use the 250 in the transmission. I've noticed with the lighter weight lubes that there will be more gear noise. I generally put a tube of general purpose grease in each final drive each year. The seal around the drive hub is not very positive, especially if there is any end play in the wheel assembly on the shaft. and any fluid lube tends to leak out. This "seal" also, from my observation, must let in a fair bit of dirt over time which combines with the lube to make an effective "grinding paste". This results in excessive wear of the teeth of the drive hub and of the pinion gear, with the ones on the furrow side usually worn much more than the land side ones. Now this may not be such an issue as these machines will probably see limited use.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:41:46 AM
Subscriber

Richard,

I agree with Phil use the 250, at least it won't run out as fast!!

Paul
Old 07-17-2009, 09:54:01 PM

Thanked 19,798 Times in 5,839 Posts

I can't say I've seen a million transmissions or differentials.......but I CAN say I've never seen one with 600W "oil" in it that was shot either.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 11:59:50 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,113 Posts

Any that I have worked on that had the 600 wt. were usually in good shape and the "oil" stays in there as it needs a good sized opening to leak out! It really clings to the gears and bearings and seems to cushion the tooth to tooth contact; a lot like molasses! Just don't try to move your tractor or the gear lever at -15 or lower temps.
It seems very hard to get these days. I've found it locally in one gallon cans at $50 each.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35:24 AM

Thanked 19,798 Times in 5,839 Posts

Wouldn't steam cylinder oil be a good substitute?
The Mobil 500 Super is very heavy and for what it is not all THAT expensive.......
Old 07-18-2009, 05:36:32 AM
Richard Sturdy

Craig and Phil, I use 250 weight oil in the transmissions of quite a few of my older tractors and it works very well. As Phil says, it compensates for the big clearances in a gearbox which has seen so many years of use and the gears do run much more quietly. I was just concerned by the insistence of the Allis recommendation to thin the specified 160 at low temperatures to ensure that it splashes onto the upper bearings, but there again, we do not get such low temperatures in the UK and the tractors are mostly run in summer anyway, so 250 it is! I am going to put about a pint of semi fluid grease in the final drives and see how that goes Phil; I use it in the high speed primary gearcase of the Case 18-32 where it works well and does not leak out past the clutch like gear oil, so it should be fine in the slow final drives of the Allis. Craig, I was in the oil business for many years and I can tell you that steam cylinder oil will be fine as straight gear oil, depending on the grade which you get - if it is the really thick stuff, just thin it with engine oil until it is the right viscosity (don't use kerosene to thin it) Thanks a lot to you all for your help and advice.

Tricky Dickie
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post: