Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Forklift Question

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 4495 times

Old 11-23-2010, 02:01:51 PM
Registered-III

Default Forklift Question

Thought I would post a crazy idea for input from all you guys (and gals).
I have a CAT forklift, 4000 lb lift, sideshift, hydrostat on air tires. nice lift, it was given to me becuase the engine had a water in the oil problem. It has a Puegeot engine in it, and it a real bear to rebuild as it has sleeves that leak coolant into the oil if not done right, well get what, I think it is still leaks coolant a bit. My question is this, what would happen if I took the coolant out and just filled the radiator with motor oil so leakage would just be adding to the crankcase and not killing the engine?
Thoughts?

Greg
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2010, 02:38:12 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Forklift question.

I would wonder if the radiator could transfer enough heat to properly cool the engine?

I think you need to fix it right or find another engine. Is it the standard SAE engine mount?

Richard W.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:07:55 PM
Registered-III

heat transfer was my question as well. The engine is a XN1P. Alot of shops will not work on them becuase they are so difficult. I could just put another engine in it of another make if I wanted to.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:28:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,091 Times in 477 Posts

Fill it full of motor oil and if it blows up, say "screw it" and replace the engine?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:31:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Forklift Question

why dont you try some bars stop leak or something cheap like that?? i have a 6,000 lb cat that had the same problem, added the radiator stop leak and it worked... id at least try that before filling with oil
Old 11-23-2010, 04:40:08 PM
Registered-III

I have put some Barr's in it, it might be working, but I think it is still leaking some.
I have thought about running a nonpressured cap too. The decrease in pressure might let me get by without leaking. It might run a bit hotter but I do not run it that much at a time.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:56:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,278 Times in 3,495 Posts

As long as you got it for free (I should be so lucky) you have nothing to lose whatever you do with it.

I would try the stop leak / block seal and then maybe leave the radiator cap on loose or find one with a lower pressure rating after sealing it just incase it's a cylinder liner seal that may open up again every time you run it.

OilPulled or someone else may be able to tell you how much hotter it would run with oil in the radiator. If it doesn't raise the temp too awful high, the higher temp would make it run more efficiently as long as you can control detination and don't get it hot enough to warp the head or anything (which I wouldn't be too concerned about... the built up motor in my 69 Firebird runs a Cool 240 degree's up to a warmer 280+ with no problems and one time got driven home with a knocked out radiator and no coolant at all for the 12 mile trip with No damage)

Run it till it blows, then swap in your engine of choice.
Or if you don't want to mess with it, even with no job, I'll double what you paid for it.

Advance the timing as far as you can without it rattling, maybe even play with the advance weights to get full advance earlier. Late timing will make it run hotter.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:24:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,048 Times in 926 Posts

I don't think your hoses will last with oil. If the stop leak doesn't work put a hose on the drain plug, run to a ball valve on side of the machine, bleed the water off before each start, should get you by for ocassional use. I have one of these machines, runs good but it's been in a harsh environment, fertilizer plant. I plan to use the engine to run a generator.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19:18 PM
Registered-III

Try bronze seal it comes in a tube and it a powder consistancy put 2 containers in and it should stop it as long as its not a major leak.
Jeff
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55:30 PM
Registered-III

I guess if it doesn't work, it won't be much of a matter... other than you'll have a radiator full of oil glop when all done.

IIRC the early Suzuki GXR-750 or something like that, used oil cooling rather than air or glycol... the heat transfer character of oil is somewhat slower than water, and it might put a bit of a load on the water pump... and probably not function well with the thermostat...

if it's a hydrostat, the engine coupling shouldn't be too much of a challenge... anything you can physically FIT in that hole, should work without too much trouble. Worst issues that come to mind, is if there's an engine PTO fixture on the timing gear that drives the main pump... that could be problematic to match... but I've seen all sorts of strange conversions using whatever-they-had, and most of 'em worked well.

Dunno how big your Peugeot motor IS, but I'd probably hunt out either a frequently-used industrial or marine engine (a GM 153 or 181) or something cheap and easy (a wrecked car) to stuff in there... something that uses parts easily found at the local auto-store...