Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

off subject but maybe some interest

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2593 times

Old 11-11-2006, 09:10:56 PM
Email NOT Working

Default off subject but maybe some interest

I just recently was able to take a 14 day journey on large diesel powered ship to Hawaii and Back. The interesting thing about this trip is that my son is captain of the ship and my other son is 1st engineer. I was alowed free run of the ship and spent a lot of time in the engine room with the large 14800 HP MANN diesel engine runing at 127 RPM what a sight. It is 3 stories high and 2 cycle. It burns 20 gallons of fuel a minute. It is 7 cylinders. It was a thrilling thing to watch it run day in and day out.Just thought I would share this with all
BOB
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: off subject but maybe some interest

I'd much rather make the trip that way than to fly!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:40:53 PM
Registered-III

so in your 2 week jaunt it burnt 403,200 gallons of fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wot do they transport feathers,makes ya wonder hey,some pics would have been good,just as a contrast the paddle boat ive been working on is 65 feet long and it goes through 2 litres/half a gallon of fuel an hour at 8kph/5mph its powerd by a 117 hp gardner 6 LX
Old 11-18-2006, 09:41:00 AM
Registered-II

and I thought my Dodge pick up truck used lots of fuel-puts into some kind of perspective.do you have some pics?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:47:03 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,166 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
I just recently was able to take a 14 day journey on large diesel powered ship to Hawaii and Back. The interesting thing about this trip is that my son is captain of the ship and my other son is 1st engineer. I was alowed free run of the ship and spent a lot of time in the engine room with the large 14800 HP MANN diesel engine runing at 127 RPM what a sight. It is 3 stories high and 2 cycle. It burns 20 gallons of fuel a minute. It is 7 cylinders. It was a thrilling thing to watch it run day in and day out.Just thought I would share this with all
BOB
Nice one, Bob. That was probably a MAN engine?

http://www.manbw.com/

Burmeister & Wain is the 'bw' after the 'man' in the url there. They were another large marine engine manufacturer who licenced their designs worldwide.

Peter
Old 11-19-2006, 04:15:38 PM
Registered-II

During my 1960-1975 seagoing career, most US Flag commercial ships were either geared steam turbine, or turbo-electric. When figuring how much fuel oil to order, we used one (42 gallon) barrel per nautical mile.

At 20 gallons per minute this ship burns 1200 gallons, or 28.5 bbls per hour. Considering most ships built today are at least three times larger than then, and that most are designed for a 24-26 knot service speed, it looks like this vessel burns around 1 bbl a mile.

Greg Hayden