Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Another try for answer on 15HP Reid engine

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2194 times

Old 07-01-2009, 02:18:17 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Another try for answer on 15HP Reid engine

Thanks all for your help, it's drilled and now all I have to do is put it together and see if I can get it to run.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010043.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	57731  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38:24 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Another try for answer on 15HP Reid engine

Hi Bob, Here are some pictures of the plug Tom is talking about. This is the plug that goes in the hole to limit the valve travel. The plug does have 1/2 inch pipe threads. Hope this helps Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reid plug 001.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	57757   Click image for larger version

Name:	reid plug 007.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	57758  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lawrence Lindsey For This Post:
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41:40 PM
Email NOT Working

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the information. I got brave this morning and did drill out the plug and all came out well. Can you tell me what the valve is for that is in the face of the crossover are?

Thanks
Bob
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14:10 PM
Registered-II

I really do not mean to take over this thread, but I am very interested in this valve stop idea that I never heard of before. Since I need to referr to other posts in this thread, I do not know how to practically start a new one. And, since this is a continued discussion of the hole you were asking about Bob, I hope it is okay to go on with it.

Kirk, if you look in the Frick & Lindway catalog which you mentioned (pg 304), you will see #145 and #146 listed as "cylinder hole plug" and "relief valve for the above." The picture above shows what appears to be a valve and a plug assembled and arrows with the number 145. Now look back on page 294, where it shows the 40 horse engine, and you will see a pretty clear view of the same valve mounted in the hole we are discussing. That's the relief valve in position.

BUT...why would there be a solid plug that could contact the valve and limit its travel? (You gave a good picture of one, Larry.) The valve already has a keeper on the bottom to limit its travel, so why would it need another? Could this be a field solution and not a Reid idea? I want to ask you, Larry, if that long plug of yours could possibly have a hole through it. I don't know why the factory would want to put a solid plug there, because that is the only place on the engine to release the compression--a very necessary thing for an engine this size. (I know I can't roll mine over without it.)

I'm not doubting you fellows--just respectfully interested in what your engines have and what people with more experience have seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 07-03-2009, 12:33:50 AM
Email NOT Working

Hi Joel,
No problem with your questions on the plug.The picture of the plug on Larry's engine looks like mine should have except for the square on top of mine was broken off. It was pipe thread for around 1" and then the shaft was the same diameter as the hole required to cut the 1/2" pipe threads. If you look back in my earlier posts there is a picture taken up through my transfer valve hole showing the outline of the plug. it was even with the casting with no protrusion. You can see the indentation where it was centered in a lathe most likely when it was made.
It took a lot of soul searching to finally do this but now I will continue on with setting up my coil and switch to control the firing of the spark plug on demand. I hope to use gasoline to start the engine with but run it on Propane using the hot tube. I will use the backfire method of starting the engine but just easily roll the engine up to the start position and fire the spark plug rather than hand power the bump to cause the backfire. This is because I lack the limberness and agility to move around fast enough. I am hoping it works I keep posting the results, maybe even put the breaker switch on to run it a magneto coil instead of hot tube.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:05:33 AM
Registered-II

Bob, you might have better luck if the spark plug is not put directly into the hole in the engine. I know that other folks run this way, but I found that I got better ignition without so many misses if the spark was not the last thing in the hole. This lets the unspent gases that remain in that long hole to compress past the spark plug, giving it a fresh charge to ignite. (At least that's my theory.) Here is a link to show the way mine is set up:

http://sandersoniron.com/JoelWeb%20P...rom%20west.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17:40 AM
Registered-II

Joel, to the best of my knowledge, the plug is a factory Reid piece. Both, my 25HP and my 8HP have the same plug. From what I understand this is not to limit valve travel in normal operating conditions, but rather to limit travel should the transfer valve stem break or the nut come off the valve. I believe it was only there to keep the valve from being sucked into the power cylinder should the stem break. That is just my understanding though. Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Sanderson View Post
I really do not mean to take over this thread, but I am very interested in this valve stop idea that I never heard of before. Since I need to referr to other posts in this thread, I do not know how to practically start a new one. And, since this is a continued discussion of the hole you were asking about Bob, I hope it is okay to go on with it.

Kirk, if you look in the Frick & Lindway catalog which you mentioned (pg 304), you will see #145 and #146 listed as "cylinder hole plug" and "relief valve for the above." The picture above shows what appears to be a valve and a plug assembled and arrows with the number 145. Now look back on page 294, where it shows the 40 horse engine, and you will see a pretty clear view of the same valve mounted in the hole we are discussing. That's the relief valve in position.

BUT...why would there be a solid plug that could contact the valve and limit its travel? (You gave a good picture of one, Larry.) The valve already has a keeper on the bottom to limit its travel, so why would it need another? Could this be a field solution and not a Reid idea? I want to ask you, Larry, if that long plug of yours could possibly have a hole through it. I don't know why the factory would want to put a solid plug there, because that is the only place on the engine to release the compression--a very necessary thing for an engine this size. (I know I can't roll mine over without it.)

I'm not doubting you fellows--just respectfully interested in what your engines have and what people with more experience have seen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 65vette396 For This Post: