Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

12 X15 Cm Ajax

this thread has 69 replies and has been viewed 11543 times

Old 05-21-2007, 01:38:01 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 12 X15 Cm Ajax

Holy cow that thing sounds cool! Good job Bill!!!! Thanks for the videos also. Could you post a longer one?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2007, 03:44:17 PM
Registered-III

Something to think about... some Ajax literature I have cautions against running the engine too slow (below minimum nameplate speed) because the splash/flood lubrication system for the crankcase may not operate well at low speeds. If you run the engine very slow, it might be a good idea to overfill the crankcase to assure plenty of oil gets to the mains, crosshead, and piston rod packing. It might be a good idea to at least take the side cover plate over the crosshead off and start the engine and run it slow, then see if everything is getting some oil.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:39:53 PM
Subscriber

That's a good point and probably the main reason I'm selling my 346. It won't splash enough oil around at less than 190 rpm, at least when it's cold. I checked this by putting an aluminum strap down the filler hole (right behind the cylinder and just to the side of the rod) while running it at various speeds. It kept coming out clean at the lowest speed the mag will work at, about 170 rpm.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:24:26 PM
Registered-III

Overfilling the crankcase and using lighter bodied oil would probably eliminate that problem, but you'd probably need to correct the oil level and viscosity before running it fast or loading it. I have a Franklin engine that has covers over the crosshead area that lift off, so it's easy to see if oil is getting to everything when it is running. In colder weather, the viscosity of the oil has a big effect on how well it oils and so does the oil level. In this particular engine, raising the oil level around 3/4" will really get the oil moving at lower speeds.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:32:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanks guys, was worried about that myself. At first had all the covers off and lubed her oil with a squirt can, after I straightened the flywheel I drained all the pickled mice and crickets out flushed with kerosene and swabbed out the crankcase, and cross head chamber with clean rags. I put six gallons of new oil which brought it up to the rod, and just touched the counterweights. It began to throw oil up to the cross head and piston rod, and out the side cover. Also checked the mains and they are getting oiled. Added one more gallon and was forced to put covers on. Put a 45 ell, pipe and cap in oil drain hole at rear of crankcase so I can check or refill to the same level. If anyone knows how much oil it should have pleased let me know. I took the poor quality video with a old Cannon Power Shot. It is limited to 20 seconds, no matter what size memory card is installed. Maybe I need to get a video camera Well I see the videos aren't even 20 seconds, I'll see what's up.

Last edited by Bill Geyer; 05-21-2007 at 08:42:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:02:23 PM
Registered-III

As it happens I was in Odessa today at an oilfield engine service shop. I asked how much oil my 7 1/2 x 10 takes. The answer was 9 gallons. I expect your's will be around there somewhere. In Oklahoma City today, going to another shop tomorrow. I'll ask them and see what they say. I made a note to ask about your 12x15. I would expect that enough to get splashed would be plenty, however, remember that these run for a year at a time so a couple of extra gallons would be a good safety factor. BTW, they reccomended 30 weight non-detergent oil. Detergent oil holds the dirt in suspension so it gets drained out every 3000 miles. These run for a year between oil changes so you want the dirt to settle to the bottom out of the way.

keithw
Old 05-22-2007, 11:19:55 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: 12 X15 Cm Ajax

The answer is 9. There was some debate because the chart had gallons/quarts at the top. I'm voting for gallons. It is the same for both engines. Some of the engines had sight glasses on the end. It looked like the oil level was most of the way to the bottom of the end plate where you put oil in. That would put the crank dipping in pretty good but not up to the crank bearings. That way the crank seals only need to deal with splashed, not standing oil. Once again the answer was 30 wt non detergent oil.

keithw
Old 05-23-2007, 01:00:33 AM
In Memory OF

Smile Re: 12 X15 Cm Ajax

Bill,
What a fun project!!!! I had a chance to spend about 3 weeks working on a 25 hp bessimer last winter in Ok. and we were able to make it run before we had to come home. What a kick in the pants. That engine had simple babbit bearings though, it sounds like this engine in much advanced in tech. When was this engine built? How much did it weigh? Is it a 4 stroke? The old bessimer weighed 8700, and was a 2 srroke.

Walt Roys
Old 05-24-2007, 09:26:54 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Keith, I think I'll add a couple more gallons and bring it up to 9 gallons. Then add a pipe of the length necessary to check the level. My instructions simply said fill it to the indicated mark on the sight, (which was gone). Studying the illustrations supports what you said about the level

Walt, I don't know the age, it has an OC mag, my guess is 1938-1940? Anyone care to comment. It sure is fun It's a 2 stroke, and has a cross head and piston rod They came with babbitt or roller bearings, maybe it could have been an option but really think it has to do with when it was made. She weighs about 13,000 pounds In that video where she's running about 40RPM, the wheezing sound was the mixer valve. It was adjusted improperly. Now that it is set right (no wheezing) about 60RPM is about as slow as she will run.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:24:45 AM
In Memory OF

Bill or Doug,
when you were straightening the crank with the bottle jack, what did you jack against?. I visualize one end against the rim of the flywheel you want to straiten, but where did you get a purchase that would not do damage on the other side?
Walt Roys