Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

1924 Republic Fire Truck w/ Waukesha CU244

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2734 times

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53:25 PM
Registered

Default 1924 Republic Fire Truck w/ Waukesha CU244

I have a 1924 Republic Fire Truck with a Waukesha CU244 engine that I am repairing. I need four Exhaust valves and two valve springs to finish the motor. I have not had any luck finding parts or anyone who even lists this motor. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29:16 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,243 Times in 969 Posts
Default Re: 1924 Republic Fire Truck w/ Waukesha CU244

Without knowing what kind of parts houses you checked, it's difficult to make suggestions...
A 1932 parts catalog states the CU only shares valves with the FU...that catalog no longer lists springs for the CU; FU springs are listed, so they're different...
I don't know if springs can be matched by finding compression of yours and matching off the shelf types still available...
Any reason a machine shop couldn't machine new valves from off-the-shelf blanks, or down from larger valves, using one of yours as a pattern??
Wauk Engine Hist Soc (wehs.net) may be able to get you specs, and/or advise of any updates during engine life (they have no parts)...CU is your engine type; the 244 is the works number of your engine, detailing the original accessories (ign, carb, etc). Be sure to include engine serial # when contacting.
aths.org has a good list of the profe$$ional obsolete parts dealers in their Parts and Services section--scroll way down to "engines".
Have you Googled for antique engine parts, vintage engine parts, etc, or antique/vintage Waukesha parts??
With sympathy, Bud
Ahhhh, soooo, as Charlie C used to say: a 30 valve catalog shows the CU and FU with TWO sets:
(a) 21/8 head diam, 77/8 stem length, stem end (.434, .435, 7/16, which I assume is stem diam) has groove.
(b) the second set has 21/4 head diam; other specs same. ($1.80 and $1.50, respectively, in 1930)...
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54:36 AM
Subscriber

Try H & J Machining in North Dakota. They are a sponsor on the Stack. Henry has blank valves and he can make anything you need for a very reasonable cost .And they would be of higher quality than the originals. CU parts are pretty scarce items to come up with.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29:04 PM
Registered

Bud,
Ive done the usual internet searches and local buisness checking. Not been able to find any usfull info on the motor. Your the first person who hasn't laughed at me. Ive gotten a hold of the wehs and they sent me a manual and parts catalog for a FU motor, but neither has specs for these parts, and they said that's about the best they can do for me. May I ask where you were finding your info? I was trying to hold out on custom valves and springs, I'm doing this for my fire dept. and we have a tight budget. I will do some checking at aths.org like you said. Surprisingly I have found some NOS gaskets including the head gaskets but that as much as Ive found.
Seems this is a rare motor in a rare truck. Thanks for your help.

Kent, Ill look into H&J and see what they say.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41:21 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,046 Posts

There used to be a parts house in Philadelphia that had a lot of wauk parts. Maybe someone can remember the name. I know of several folks with oantique fire engines that went to them for parts for wauks.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11:28 PM
In Memory Of

you could also try contact with SPAAMFAA .A bunch of old fire truck guys club. They would have sources for Waukesha parts if they are available.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22:26 AM
Registered

As Ed says, if you're not already a member seriously consider joining one or more of the old firetruck sites (alfowners is the only other one that comes to mind) as they're a prime source of info re' eqpmt, parts, etc...
Your CU doesn't seem that rare; a 24 piston catalog comes up with ten trucks and three tractors that used it--some fine old names like Fageol, Republic, Sterling (trucks and buses), Walter and Wichita, mostly 2-31/2 ton models from 1920 thru 1931, per that catalog and another 36 catalog...
The only tractor fairly well known is a Huber Light Four, but there're probably more old tractor collectors than old firetruck collectors...
My info comes from an assortment of old engine parts catalogs...
The professional dealers can be expensive, but they all have shelves full of interchange and spec books, and may well be able to furnish springs that match close enough to use.
Assuming nothing turns up in a few days, I can email a list of trucks and tractors if you want to try posting for parts on truck sites like aths etc and ag sites like ytmag etc...their forums are free to post in, and you never know where something might turn up...
OH: George Miller posts here as georgemd; seems like he had a bunch of old Wauk small parts like valves and such; he should come up on a search here, and you can email thru the system. Or try georgemillermachine. com, or 9machine@aaahawk.com, or 410-452-5255 (all several years old now)...
Dennis at wehs should be able to advise how many CU and FU engines were built; the CU seems to've been more popular, but I just have model listings, no production numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvidFireLt View Post
I was trying to hold out on custom valves and springs, I'm doing this for my fire dept. and we have a tight budget.
Are there any local colleges with machine shop classes that could turn down a few oversized valves for you at minimal cost ?

If you can find some with stems a few thousandths bigger, the guides can be reamed out to fit them, then it's just a matter of turning down the heads and doing a normal valve grind job after that.

Other than doing a lot of cross referencing or checking with the local engine building shops to see if they have anything close, I don't what to say on the springs. Maybe have the old ones checked out by a shop and then contact Crane or Crower or one of the other cam manufactures and see if they can tell you what springs would be a close match to those specs.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15:53 PM
Registered

Im looking into having vavles machined right now but springs are still up in the air for the moment. So far every tractor parts supplier Ive checked with doesnt have a listing for the CU motor. I will continue to search, it does seem that Im getting closer anyways, and all of you are helping so thank you. Im willing to listen to any more suggestions so keep them coming.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08:26 PM
Registered

Generally, the ordinary local parts houses or national parts supply chains won't even have software (they've pretty well thrown away paper catalogs) listing engines this old because they don't get enough calls to justify the expense...some used to send in special orders, as sometimes parts were available not listed in catalogs, but that's pretty well died for the same reason (too much expense, too little profit)...
You'll have to deal with outfits that specialize in antique/vintage parts, or post around looking for NOS or used parts ...
I would assume there's a spec book (or, now, software) somewhere listing springs by size, compression strength and fasteners, where your original specs could be (hopefully) matched with off-the-shelf ones, but that's "labor-intensive" and partly why stuff from obsolete parts dealers is more expensive...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19:04 PM
In Memory Of

You could also look at Hemmings motor news. Lots of old parts dealers advertise in there.