Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Homelite XL

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 3540 times

Old 12-31-2016, 08:56:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,142 Times in 551 Posts
Default Re: Homelite XL

lawnmowertech, thanks for the offer but I already have a new one headed this way. thanks anyway.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12:23 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
This is the coil on it. Its a super XL automatic.

it looks like prestolite is written on coil down in between the flywheel and coil.
Many people make this mistake. A coil is used with a points and condenser. When they are an electronic one piece ignition, it is called a module. Your saw has a blue module and they did not last very long. They came out with a replacement by another company, but you replaced the rotor also. June 2016 there was a notice that Standard Magneto Sales Co. Inc Wood Dale, Illinois had new module 94605 - $53.32. Tel. 1-800-624-6386. I have never ordered any,
chainsawlady
The Following User Says Thank You to chain saw lady For This Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:49:33 PM
Subscriber

Thank you Chain Saw Lady!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:27:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelden View Post
There is a reason you don't see the heavy, noisy XL'S near a true logger. They are out dated. Never kept up to the market
Wow, with remarks like that you help keep the forum clear of any potential members
Old 02-03-2018, 10:28:04 PM
Registered-II

oolo,

Don't let that guy's bitterness get you down. He's angry because he spends half of his time fixing the constant breakdowns he experiences with the new stuff. I have a couple of Stihls myself (031 and MS250) plus an old 090 that isn't much more than a parts saw. The little ones are light, yes, they have vibration isolators that are great whenever they are not broken (too expensive to replace) and light enough for a girl to use. But they are fussy as can be and it seems like something is always wrong - and I say this knowing full well that chain saws as a breed are high strung and hard to get along with. I use 'em because they are cheap to buy (used) and plentiful - if something goes really wrong I can simply throw 'em away and get another one without a second thought. They are just as noisy as any other saws, too. The noise is all right, though, and a safety feature. Hard to miss the fact that a chain saw is running. But then what do I know. I have only been cutting trees for over five decades, after all. Maybe that's it. I am outmoded and failed to keep up with the times. That's all right. I like me as I am.

p.s. For those who do not know it was Andreas Stihl who invented the chain saw, probably after a liberal overdose of lager capping a hard day at the woodlot. Stihl built many fine saws but I think the whole "lighter, cheaper, faster" thing has gone too far and the result is what we see, saws that are real headaches to keep going on a daily basis. The old saws had their faults but at least they were dependable.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 02-04-2018, 12:05:27 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by s100 View Post
oolo,

Don't let that guy's bitterness get you down. He's angry because he spends half of his time fixing the constant breakdowns he experiences with the new stuff. I have a couple of Stihls myself (031 and MS250) plus an old 090 that isn't much more than a parts saw. The little ones are light, yes, they have vibration isolators that are great whenever they are not broken (too expensive to replace) and light enough for a girl to use. But they are fussy as can be and it seems like something is always wrong - and I say this knowing full well that chain saws as a breed are high strung and hard to get along with. I use 'em because they are cheap to buy (used) and plentiful - if something goes really wrong I can simply throw 'em away and get another one without a second thought. They are just as noisy as any other saws, too. The noise is all right, though, and a safety feature. Hard to miss the fact that a chain saw is running. But then what do I know. I have only been cutting trees for over five decades, after all. Maybe that's it. I am outmoded and failed to keep up with the times. That's all right. I like me as I am.

p.s. For those who do not know it was Andreas Stihl who invented the chain saw, probably after a liberal overdose of lager capping a hard day at the woodlot. Stihl built many fine saws but I think the whole "lighter, cheaper, faster" thing has gone too far and the result is what we see, saws that are real headaches to keep going on a daily basis. The old saws had their faults but at least they were dependable.
Good and accurate information. Homelite made many 100+ cc saws up into the late 80's that loggers indeed did use. Even from the early days of chainsaws Homelites were used to fell some of the biggest redwoods and sequoias. Statements like his are from bias and ignorance and they serve no purpose
Old 02-04-2018, 01:28:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,553 Times in 716 Posts

I'm only an occasional chain saw user. Bought a McCulloch Mac 110 saw with a 12" bar back about mid '70's. Was a handy little saw to take on fishing and hunting trips as well as use around the yard as needed.

A few years ago thought I would upgrade to a new saw and bought a Stihl from a John Deere dealer at a nearby city. It took them nearly half an hour to get it started to where it would run. Next morning I took it out and it wouldn't start no matter how hard I tried. Took it back to the dealer and told them when I spend $500 on a saw, I expect it to start, so wanted my money back. No problem, they refunded my money.

I then went to another Stihl dealer and bought another saw, a model MS290. It cuts OK once you get it started, but after sitting unused for a length of time you have to fight tooth and nail to get it started again. It's OK to start after that until the next time. It's only had ethanol free gas used in it so can't blame it on ethanol gas.

I also totally dislike the set up for start up procedure. Would have been a lot better with simple choke or primer button.

I may be in the market for another new chain saw this year but you can be sure it won't be a Stihl.

Bill
Old 02-04-2018, 08:59:42 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock View Post
I'm only an occasional chain saw user. Bought a McCulloch Mac 110 saw with a 12" bar back about mid '70's. Was a handy little saw to take on fishing and hunting trips as well as use around the yard as needed.

A few years ago thought I would upgrade to a new saw and bought a Stihl from a John Deere dealer at a nearby city. It took them nearly half an hour to get it started to where it would run. Next morning I took it out and it wouldn't start no matter how hard I tried. Took it back to the dealer and told them when I spend $500 on a saw, I expect it to start, so wanted my money back. No problem, they refunded my money.

I then went to another Stihl dealer and bought another saw, a model MS290. It cuts OK once you get it started, but after sitting unused for a length of time you have to fight tooth and nail to get it started again. It's OK to start after that until the next time. It's only had ethanol free gas used in it so can't blame it on ethanol gas.

I also totally dislike the set up for start up procedure. Would have been a lot better with simple choke or primer button.

I may be in the market for another new chain saw this year but you can be sure it won't be a Stihl.

Bill
My new Husqvarna was the same way, 329 dollar saw that would wear you out trying to get it started, often I would opt for a bow saw. do yourself a favor and find yourself a 1980-1985 Homelite Super EZ automatic or Homelite 150, usually a tad over 100 in great shape, often around 50 bucks. 41 cc and under 10 pounds.