Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Trying to match Dayton Green paint

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 863 times

Old 12-22-2017, 09:13:47 AM
Subscriber

Default Trying to match Dayton Green paint

I have a Dayton generator that I am working on and I am trying to match the paint for some touch up work. It was purchased from a Grainger store 25 yrs ago and from what I can find out, the paint was Dem-Kote 2W099 which as far as I can tell, is no longer made. Would any paint stores be able to cross reference old Dem-Kote paint formulas?

Another member suggested I take a sample to a store and have it matched with an acrylic enamel. I took it to Home Depot and they scanned it and mixed up the formula and it wasn't even close, way too light. I was there for over an hour and we could not get the paint to match. In all fairness to HD,,they really tried to help me. Two quarts of base and adding black or yellow in small amounts and still no luck. Its close, but when dry, its off. I tried looking into some old automotive paints that Chevrolet had in the 70's, but I am not very good matching colors with my 69 year old eyes.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. It's just touch up paint for rust prevention, but I am kind of fussy and some colors for doing touch up work are more forgiving than others. This green shade is definitely not one of them.
Sponsored Links