Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Hudson Valley Auction - WOW

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3086 times

Old 05-15-2017, 04:51:58 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Thumbs up Hudson Valley Auction - WOW

Just got done with the HV auction Saturday. The auction started with 3 auctioneers exactly at 8 AM,and the drizzle started about 30 seconds later! Drizzle turned to rain, then downpour for most of the day after that! We had over 3100 bidders, and over 2200 items on the field. Lots of mowers, tractors and some engines, and a few trucks and autos, but not as many as last year - There were about 25 hit and miss engines by my count. There was one steam engine that I saw too. Only a few maytags, 2 Associated ponys (both in parts), quite a few F/Ms and only 3 IHC Ms. One nicely restored IHC Famous (1903), a Caille Liberty transom engine - complete except for the coil, and literally tons of other stuff! Toward the end, things got pretty slippery, and more than one truck and trailer got jackknifed in the muddy hilly areas.

Food and comradarie was great, and I hope that everyone got what they wanted. it was a good day, even though a bit wet! Who got the good stuff?
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41:20 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Hudson Valley Auction - WOW

It was a rainy day for sure however The rain had no effect on what things sold for. There were very little no sale items, the double side Mobil sign sold $3000
The only slow down I had we selling all the lumber and moldings. $5.00 a bundle
It was a good day, I think only 2 people got mad at me Because I didn't see them bidding 😊
Old 06-01-2017, 12:09:24 AM
Subscriber

My friend was a bit perturbed with some items having reserves,, he would of not stayed if he know that,, sort of glad I did not go.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:29:57 AM
Subscriber

There should be no reserves, you bring things to the auction to get rid of them.
If you want a certain amount for that item sell it privately. If you are not able to get the price you are asking then it's not worth that price. Reserves are a waste of our time at the auction.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:00:19 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
There should be no reserves, you bring things to the auction to get rid of them.
If you want a certain amount for that item sell it privately. If you are not able to get the price you are asking then it's not worth that price. Reserves are a waste of our time at the auction.
That's half the story all right.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:43:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,150 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post

I have been down that road a few times. I have seen some people who just could not let things go. Silly they were. But I have also taken things to consignment sales, where they put all my stuff down at the end of the line, and once started a separate ring of dealers, who by the time they git there, were all who were there to bid , like vultures, who took a number to get in line. They just hovered over what they wanted, and did not bid against each other. I NO SALED most of it, and the auctioneer got mad.
I have not taken any of the clown auction places anything after that happened at more than one place.
One place finally shut down because they liked giving things away and the other place fired the manager.
If you would want to give my stuff away, I would not let you sell it.
It is a pig on a poke whether there will be some one there to bid, but if they're not there to bid, then I do not need to let some dealer have my things , and will no sale things, but only if they are stealing them.
I would have let the farmer have the Deere.
Under hoped expectations is part of life .
Old 06-07-2017, 07:02:54 PM
Subscriber

Well Matthew you can sell all your items privately then you will get the price you want. I guess I look at it differently, our auction is all volunteer and a fundraiser
For the club. I start at 8am and don't finish my 5 rows with maybe 900 items
Till about 6:45 pm, so it's a long day. However I can't wait till next next year to do it again 👍