Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Solar and Wind Power

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3671 times

Old 11-24-2012, 03:42:09 PM
Registered

Default Solar and Wind Power

Over the years, I've benefited from this site getting help with my Onan diesel generator. I just noticed that this forum has this section about solar and wind power, and I thought I'd post links to a couple pages that I made in the past sharing some of my own experiences with solar and wind power.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/home-wind-turbine.htm

http://www.rc-trucks.org/home-solar-panels.htm

In general, I'd say that solar and wind are not all that it's made out to be. Take for example right now... sunny day with some scattered clouds, sun is low on the horizon this time of year, so panels are not optimally angled. Just checked my solar charge controller, and my 2,100W solar array is putting out a measley 383W. Some of the scattered clouds must be partially blocking the sun. My 2kW wind turbine is putting out 0W because it's a calm day. It can be like this day after day, so you need to have realistic expectations about what solar and wind can do. It's not cheap (even if you get good deals and do the labor yourself). You can buy a nice diesel generator and a lot of diesel for a fraction of the cost of some of these alternative power systems. I am a big fan of a "hybrid" system where a generator can be periodically used to charge up a battery bank, so that the generator does not need to run continuously. I've got a couple small 48V battery banks with one having 600AH capacity and the other 420AH. The 420AH is an older set of batteries that I have wired separately from the newer 600AH bank. I can switch between battery banks. I've got an Xantrex XW6040 6kW inverter which I can use to convert from battery power to household power. Nice thing is that the XW6040 has a built in 100A charger which pulls right about 6kW (100a x 60V = 6,000w). That's a perfect match for my Onan 6kW DJE generator. So, I can run the generator at full load and quickly charge the battery bank with the XW6048's 100 amp charger. Anyway, just sharing my personal experience that wind and solar are not as good as many people think.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to keyturbocars For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 06:11:32 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,659 Posts
Default Re: Solar and Wind Power

ED, I want to thank you for sharing your wind and solar experiences with us. What a fascinating story! I wish I could take advantage of wind and/or solar but this area is not very good for either. We have a complete Peet Bros weather station at our home and the stats show that this is not a good area for either energy producing system. We don't even have a small stream or dam close by to take advantage of water power. So my wind or water driven induction motor idea to unwind my utility watt hour meter is OUT. BTW, I have verified that I can unwind my watt hour meter by driving an induction motor above synchronous speed. I even thought of sync'ing my Onan with the utility power, but the risk reward ration is not in my favor- and I have to settle with the idea that I, and you by the way, have one of the best small standby power plants ever built - and I do not want to risk damaging it, even though I can produce energy cheaper than purchasing it from the utility if running at FL and I discount wear and tear while using natural gas.

[As a token of appreciation I would like to send you a 22 page color copy of an original ONAN marketing brochure which describes in detail, fully illustrated in Onan colors the technical features of the 2 cylinder J series design gas and diesel) including the Magneciter generator. Just provide me through a private email, your first class mailing address and I will have a color copy made for you on A and B size fold out sheets. Or if a B&W copy is OK, I can email a pdf copy right away.]

Oh, I have so much I would like to share with you, too bad you were not closer by.

Leon
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29:42 AM
Registered

Default Re: Solar and Wind Power

Leon,

I would be interested in the PDF of the Onan brochure.

I just sent you a private message.

Thanks,

Ed