Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

WK40 Mccormick - how many are out there?

this thread has 138 replies and has been viewed 25077 times

Old 03-16-2013, 01:25:12 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: WK40 Mccormick - how many are out there ?

I would think you'd also have an issue with drawing the needed intake through the original K5 variant carburetor (K50-AY12 or whatever it was).
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,485 Times in 619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahart View Post
Did F&H offer these just for the 40, as a steel-to-rubber conversion?
The only F&H rear wheel listed in the W-40 parts book (TC-19) is F278 which is the one piece round spoke rim. It may be possible that the F&H wheel combination that you have was a rubber tire option for the late 22-36's. The axle sizes between the two models are the same.

A friend of mine owns 3 W-40 tractors and together we are trying to get a least one unit operable. Does anyone out there know if the 34" rims off a W-9 will fit on the W-40 cast centers (#5587 D)? The originals were 32" with lock rings and I know that the very early W-9's also used this configuration. Has anybody tried this?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:24:49 PM
Subscriber

Yes, the W9 drop center rims will fit the W-40 cast center. Try to stick with a rim that doesn't move too much of the tire toward the fender or you may not have enough clearance inside. The normal W-9 rims, I do fine with.

As for the F&H cast center for 40s, I have seen several sets. The parts book doesn't mention them and I am sure they were available after market. They make a nice looking wheel on the 40s and they use the 162 F&H weights, no starter weight (161) required.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Best For This Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30:19 PM
Registered-I

What model trucks did the RD450 engine come out in?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for the information. I agree, they make a nice looking package on the 40, of course I'm somewhat biased. Thanks to the Admins for allowing this newbie a little 'leeway' with my rubber-tired discussion on the steel-wheeled forum. I've always been intrigued with the 40. I have alot of good memories as a kid with dad and grandpa running the 40 on the sawmill. That's where I sharpened my sawdust-shoveling and slab-carrying skills. :-) You could hear that 40 under load a mile away. At one time, we had three in the family between my grandpa, great-grandpa, and great-uncle.

Just to clarify, here's a picture showing the cast centers in question.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brian Ahart For This Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22:20 PM
Subscriber

Bahart - Your cast centers are even different from my F&H cast centers. Mine have no casting number and the F&H is stamped rather than cast into a flat place on the hub. The part number may have been there at one time but rust has long since helped it disappear. One other difference is that my F&H cast centers take full drop center 8" x 32" rims. Yours appear to take the semi-drops like those used on the standard 40 cast wheels. Interesting. Even with all of these tractors I have and have seen, I learn something new all the time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Best For This Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 11:47:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,485 Times in 619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D40Inter View Post
What model trucks did the RD450 engine come out in?
The Red Diamond engine was a popular IHC heavy truck motor.
The most common models locally include the KB series 8 and larger and the R series....R185, R190, R210. There are other models also. A internet search may be of value.

A brief history on the Red Diamond engines:

The FBB-298 engine was improved on and became the popular RED engine during WW2 in military trucks. This engine evolved into the well known RD engine which IHC used in their heavy trucks until 1974. These engines came in a wide variety of displacements from 318 to 450 cu. in. all using the same basic motor block configuration. The RD 501 was the largest engine of this family but the block casting has a relocated camshaft centerline due to the increased length of stroke.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25:23 AM
Registered-I

What's involved in making one of these RD engines fit in a W40 do they just bolt in or do you have to change things Eg Manifold governor flywheels etc
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12:15 AM
Subscriber

Actually, what's involved depends on how much you want it to look like a W-40 at the end of the process. To use the front engine hanger from the W-40, you will want to change the timing cover. This also means you will be able to use the W-40 and magneto drive so that's a plus but you will either have to plug the top center bolt hole in the timing cover or drill and tap a very shallow hole in the front of the block to accept a short bolt in this position. The nose on the 450 crankshaft will not accept the W-40 fan drive pulley without machining and if you do this, you will want to do it so the fan pulley tightens against the crankshaft gear, not a step left on the crankshaft (I made this mistake but caught it before the engine was assembled.

The flywheel housing will bolt on the 450 block and depending on the block casting, the bolt holes may or may not be the same size. The crankshaft in the 450 does not have the felt wick provision for lubricating the pilot bearing for the clutch so you will have to find a way of addressing that. You can use the W-40 oil filter base on the 450 block, I'm pretty sure. I can't remember if something needs to be done to the W-40 flywheel. The 450 uses bolts to secure the crankshaft and at least some of the 40 cranks use studs with nuts. I seem to recall someone saying that the holes had to be drilled out on the flywheel but don't quote me on that. In any event, you will want to use the 40 flywheel, and, trust me, it's more than heavy enough for the 450 engine.

The manifold from a W-40 will bolt right on the 450 head but earlier entries in this thread have already raised the appropriate issues with operating the restrictive manifold on the larger engine. Finally, the water outlet on the 450 head will interfere with the W-40 manifold so some customization will be required there.

I think that should cover most of what is involved but hopefully others will chime in if I have missed something. Incidentally, if you can find one, the RED450 looks a little less modern than the RD450 (generally 3 frost plugs instead of 5) and makes for an engine that looks a little closer to the FBB-298.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Best For This Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02:40 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Best View Post
Bahart - Your cast centers are even different from my F&H cast centers. Mine have no casting number and the F&H is stamped rather than cast into a flat place on the hub. The part number may have been there at one time but rust has long since helped it disappear. One other difference is that my F&H cast centers take full drop center 8" x 32" rims. Yours appear to take the semi-drops like those used on the standard 40 cast wheels. Interesting. Even with all of these tractors I have and have seen, I learn something new all the time!
Eric, yes these are split rims. Attached is a close-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wk40_rim.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	160597  
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Ahart For This Post: