Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

TORO Tractor - early 20's? Need parts!

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 2586 times

Old 07-29-2017, 02:39:57 PM
Registered-III

Default TORO Tractor - early 20's? Need parts!

I've dragged another project out of the shed - a Toro tractor from 1920-1925 or so, I think. I'm gonna buy, retrofit, or make some parts. As you can see from the photos, the entire front end is gone. This is one of the tractors Toro made as a lawn mower and someone has removed all the mower equipment. My intent is not to deceive anyone, but since I have to come up with a bunch of parts, I'd much rather have this machine look like a tractor than a lawnmower!
According to earlier posts on Smokstak by JKWidener, smtwins, and probably others, Toros' made by the "Toro Mfg. Co." were made after 1920. That's what the name plate on mine says. The S/N is 2231. It has a LeRoi 4 cyl. engine, model unknown.
Luckily, the engine runs fine, the transmission, etc., all works just great - I just need a front end! Before I go any further with this project, I thought I'd post a request for parts here just to see what might have shown up the last several years. If any of you have any ideas about parts - what, who, where, I'd certainly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks! I'd enjoy hearing from anyone else having one of these cute little machines.
Dave B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1121.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	287422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1122.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	287423   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1124.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	287424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1123.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	287425  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave Brown For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: TORO Tractor - early 20's? Need parts!

I had one of those TORO tractors several years ago. I sold it to a fellow in Iowa. At the time it was the only one anybody ever saw that was complete and running. I took it to Rollag MN and no-one had ever seen one. It is listed in the Nebrraska tractor test book by C H Wendal. Test number 65. TORO 6-10 The only thing mine needed was a steering box, it was missing so I adapted another one that worked but not quite right. A steering gear box from a CA allis would be better than what I had to use. TORO will send you a manual free if you write or call them. The young person in the service department was no help but an older fellow knew where to look and sure enough he sent me a new manual. It went with the tractor when I sold it. Mine was on rubber. It was shown to push a bank of five reel mowers out front in the manual. I still have a brass tag from the tool box in my shed. Rumley bought Toro in 1925 and copied it to make the Du-All. So it is older than the Rumley Du-All. Toro bought their factory back in the early thirties and then started to make the doodle bug maintenence trucks out of Model A or B Fords
The axle was solid like a old PU truck axle from what I remember. It would be nice for the owner of my old Toro to chip in and send you some pictures of it. I might have pictures but would have to find them. Nice little tractor. Hope you get it going.

---------- Post added at 09:24:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14:07 PM ----------

My carburator was a little different than yours I think. The tractor was convertable like the Rumley Du-All and the final drives rotated forward to "balance" and a sulky cultivator could be used. The front axle was removed for that set up. Your steering looks like it might be for that set up with cables to steer. The steering boxes just bolted to the top of the tranny with four bolts.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lumbersawyer For This Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 11:13:21 AM
Registered

Your Toro probably was used on a golf course, park or large estate. It appears to have been the model that pushed a set of gang mowers. These tractors had an extension on the frame of the tractor that mounted on the carrier for three to five gang mowers so there was no need for the front axle and wheels. The steering was by cable and turned the carrier with the mowers. Check the rear wheels for evidence of use in soil (that probably had some rocks) and for scarring where the lugs or cleats would have been mounted. If the wheels are as smooth as they look it was probably use on grass. The tractor could have been used with no turf spikes but most used them. Toro tractors are fairly rare but the golf course model is EXTREMELY rare. In any case you have a wonderful project! Glenn
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn Heim For This Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 07:30:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,331 Times in 675 Posts

That's a neat machine when it's all together. I hope your able to find enough stuff to complete it. There should still be a smaller Toro in Ontario someplace with a Ford motor in it either a Model T or A motor, I can't remember, it had a dump box and was painted up and owned by Russell Morrison . Get a hold of the Toro company, looks like there's a lot of archive material left.http://www.thetorocompany.com/compan...y_brochure.pdf. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkvzEtdrE0

Last edited by David Hoover; 08-07-2017 at 07:43:52 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 08:15:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,146 Times in 906 Posts

That's probably a LeRoy 2c, Wendel's "ever popular LeRoy"...old 30's catalogs list their 6-10 tractor and 6 HP Motor cultivator both using that engine 1922-28 or so...
While the b/s stayed the same, Ed Malcom, "The LeRoy man" , who posts here, has mentioned there're lots of little indivdual differences in the engines, so check with him on the engine...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 09:57:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,331 Times in 2,027 Posts

Thanks,David for the history.
I have several Toros:
1) The old 76 3 gang mower with bullet shaped tool box and tank
2) The 50s vintage reel with trailing cart and 14 cu in BS
3) Three small single stage snow throwers with 115 VAC electric start
4) An electric leaf blower which gets hard use every fall for the last 20 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 10:02:11 AM
Registered-III

I appreciate hearing from all of you. I've been in contact with a few other folks around the US & Canada, and I've found there are a few of these Toros around. Most of them are needing parts, just like mine! The radiators seem to be a real Achilles heel. I think mine is OK, but haven't really had occasion to find out yet. I think Bud Tierney is right, the LeRoi engine is a Model 2C although I don't see that shown anywhere on it.

Interestingly, several of these Toros are just like mine - they used to be lawn mowers but the owners are trying to convert them into regular tractors.

I've begun searching for parts that might be used - have found a few possibilities. The front axle from a Gibson model D, for example, is about the right size and probably wouldn't look too bad in place of the original. But, who knows! I have much searching yet to do. Still would much rather find original parts, but that's not looking too likely.

If I do find suitable replacements, (Gibson, Wheel Horse, whatever), I'll post the results here for anyone else trying to do the same thing with their Toro.

I have been in contact with the Toro company previous to all this, and they sent me a nice pamphlet showing pictures, etc. Very nice little publication.

Thanks again, everybody! I enjoyed hearing from you. If anyone else has any info. please let me know.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Brown For This Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,553 Times in 501 Posts

Dave, i'm not sure how wide the track is on the rear wheels, but if it was mine i would sure want to have a steel wheeled front axle. I suppose that Fordson would be the easiest to find, but i'm not sure how it would look. A friend had an 8-16 International that ended up with one Fordson front wheel sometime in its life, have seen many Fordson components recycled that way. The 10-20 McCormick-Deering would be another common find, there sure are some others. I'm evenually going to do a similar deal to an Avery road razor tractor on the front end, probably going to use Farmall regular front steel cutoffs for the hubs and some matching pair of rolled edge steel rims.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 02:46:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for your input, Russ. I agree with you - I certainly want a steel wheeled front end. I hadn't thought about McCormick Deering. I have a 10-20, so I ran out to check. Found it to be too wide. The center-to-center kingpin distance I need is around 28 to32 inches. The corresponding dimension on the McD front axle is approx. 39".

The dimensions I have to work with are: Width at rear wheels is 54". Rear wheel width is 12". Rear wheel diameter is 42". The width at the front end where the radiator mounts is about 19". And the Gibson axle seems to "complement" this, if you know what I mean. (Hell, I don't even know what I mean!)

See the photos - I found a scrap (broken) Gibson axle & blocked it up underneath the front end just to see how it would look. (No, I wouldn't use this axle, it's just for a mockup). The width of the axle is about right. The design doesn't look too bad. The Gibson axle is a very beefy axle for a "garden tractor". I haven't found any other yet that fits in better and has the rigidity of the Gibson axle. The front wheels shown in the pics. results in a front end width of approx. 44". The rolled edge front wheels look pretty good, but the diameter is too small. I measured some other "standard tread" tractors, and the avg. rear-to-front size ratio is from 1.5:1 to 1.75:1. The wheels shown have a size ratio of 2.33:1 (Rear wheel diameter 42", front wheel dia. 18"). I'd like to find similar wheels to these, only larger. I'd like a pair 24" in diameter. I'd have to make new spindles, or modify the originals to work, but that's not a show stopper.

Haven't been near a Fordson yet, but I'll check that possibility, too.

Thanks again!

Dave B.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1133.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	288199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1134.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	288200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1136.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	288201  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Brown For This Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 02:52:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,553 Times in 501 Posts

That would look GREAT with a pair of those front wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 08:41:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,247 Posts

Just out of curiosity, since this design was bought and developed into the Rumely Duall, how would one of those front ends look on it?

Cool project, I look forward to seeing it progressing.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 10:21:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,331 Times in 675 Posts

That looks very presentable with those wide wheels.the Rumely front end may be identical to the Toro, I think Rumely got the rights to copy the Toro and may not have changed anything but the name.

---------- Post added at 10:21:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43:40 PM ----------

[/COLOR]https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47728
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 01:42:13 AM
Subscriber

Kinda my thinking too
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Nessel For This Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanks Mike, David & Jon - You're may be right about the front axle being a possibility. I'd thought of that, and I have a Rumely DoAll, but it's a tricycle front, so I don't have anything to measure. I parked the DoAll next to the Toro just for a comparison of size. I don't think you can tell a whole lot from the photos, but the DoAll is considerably larger. Some of the parts look similar and may be interchangeable, but many are not. Rumely obviously re-designed much of the Toro to suit their own needs.

If someone reading this has a standard tread DoAll, I'd appreciate it if you would measure the width!

Dave B.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1138.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	288313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1139.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	288314   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1140.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	288315   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1141.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	288316  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Brown For This Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 05:59:52 PM
Registered-II

Almost enough room under front end to do a single front wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnbikes For This Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:22:28 PM
Subscriber

How about the front axle from an S Case tractor. The tread widths sound about the same as an S. Gary Biewer might have one in stock. A short time ago Kent Macackin had a standard doall for sale, not sure if he sold it or not, and I believe the front axle was the original but had cut downs on front. I also believe the steering gear was correct. He is a Stak menber. Sorry Kent for misspelling your name. Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to J Ware For This Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:49:27 PM
Subscriber

Guys, I have one of these tractors I had bought our West at an auction a few years ago (Nixon sale). Someone might remember it I don't have pictures at this time. There was no front axle under it and it steers with cable. A few days after the auction in a junk pile across the road there was a front axle and two wheels that had been cut apart. I have been looking for the front wheels that I had misplaced and found them recently among the weeds. I will try adding the pictures of wheels and axle which I am sure are the right ones in the next day or so. Are there No other tractors out there that are complete with the front axle under them? I think the front axle looks very similar to a Fordson the wheels are not. Thanks, Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Trotnic For This Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 06:14:05 AM
Registered-II

That thing is a little scary looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toro.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	288353  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnbikes For This Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 03:35:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,905 Times in 239 Posts

Don't know if this the same tractor or not but this one was sold a few years ago at auction in Indiana.

Zach
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toro-1.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	288373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toro-2.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	288374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toro-3.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	288375  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 30-90 Russell For This Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 05:40:00 PM
Registered-III

Yes, 30-90, that is a Toro! Sure wish I had some of those parts!

Dave B.