Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Geiser Update

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 15202 times

Old 01-13-2006, 12:00:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,587 Times in 455 Posts
Default Geiser Update

I have attached some photos of the Geiser owned by John Tysse. I stopped in at Clyde Halls to check things out last week. In the photo of the connecting rods, the one in HIS left hand had been broken and had been forged welded back together at one time. This also had caused some extensive damage to the crankcase but had been repaired. Clyde had to do some more welding to the Crankcase to repair cracks as well as make a complete new rod. He also has done extensive repairs to the cylinders and other engine compontents. Once Clyde has completed the engine work the tractor will be hauled back to Crosby to have the "other work" done, radiator and piping etc.

The plan is to have the tractor running for the 2006 Crosby Threshing Bee (July 21,22,23 2006).

Kelly T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	6264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	6265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-4.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	6266  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2006, 02:10:51 PM
Rick Mannen

Default Re: Geiser update

Kelly,
Great pictures of Mr. Tysse's Geiser and also of the Sawyer in your other thread. Too bad I am 1500 miles away as it would be nice to see these old gems all apart and what makes them tick! Clyde and Lyle worked on my Goold Shapley & Muir tractor that I got from John. It arrived home last month (some of the other chin-waggers that show up on this forum put a thread on about it!). I look at the Goold every day and am amazed at the quality of work that Clyde does! He had to recreate the entire water pump/fan/idlers/etc assembly and it is just a wonderful piece of work and so close to accurate (and works like a charm!). Any work he does is first class and the Geiser should be in fine mechanical condition when it leaves Fillmore.
Keep sending in pictures of that great old Prairie iron. All the best,
Rick.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:37:57 PM
Subscriber

Yes I remember seeing your Gould engine there. I am glad it turned out the way you wanted it.....Clyde does do quality work!

Kelly T
Old 01-14-2006, 04:10:44 AM
Subscriber

The engine in the Geiser 25-50 tractor was in tough shape, at one time in its life it had a bad smashup and they did a good job of repairing it at that time but we doubt if it ever run much if any after that, and that was many years ago. Clyde found several cracks that hadn't been fixed also had to grind the crank and pour new bearings, bore and sleeve the cylinders, bore the belt pulley hub and build up the shaft it runs on and a lot more things on the engine to fix. Worst was the fellow I got it from had filled two cylinders full of water trying to use pressure with a grease gun to get them loose but when it didn't work and it couldn't have worked he didn't take the water out and when it got cold froze and pushed the top of the combustion chamber up so being a blind cylinder Clyde had to cut open the side of the water jackets and get in and weld the cracks then weld the water jackets back up in two cylinders Gearing in the tractor is good and outside of the engine rest is better than average condition, it will make a find machine and am happy to have it and to get it in good running order again. John Tysse Jr
Old 01-21-2006, 02:49:26 AM
Registered-II

Clyde and I have been making progress on the Gieser. Here are some photos of some of the castings we have welded. The combustion chamber was split off the top of two of the cylinders, so we had to cut the jacket off to gain access. We then could vee out and cast weld together. There was alot of broken castings on the tractor, but at least the pieces were there. The crankcase had a connecting rod come through the side at one time, it had been welded up many years ago. They did a good job for what they had to work with, although they did miss some cracks. We hope to have the tractor running for the Crosby show, hopefully there will be no surprises.

Lyle Stomp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0419.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	6480   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0420.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	6481   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0421.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	6482   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0422.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	6483  

Old 01-21-2006, 10:26:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Lyle

Now here is the right man for the updates! Lyle works with Clyde Hall on a daily basis doing many tractor restorations. I will leave it up to you Lyle to keep us posted. Thanks in advance!

Kelly T
Old 01-24-2006, 12:44:56 AM
Registered-II

Just wondering if anyone has any pictures of Geiser tractors. We are particulary looking for pictures of the radiator, but any would be a help. We noticed there are about three different types or radiators used. We believe they are evaporative cooling systems, since there is a reserve tank on the platform. We're not sure which radiator we need but, maybe some pictures would give us a clue as there are other differences in the tractors.

Lyle Stomp
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43:51 AM
Subscriber

Here is some information that I found about the Geiser Gas Tractors. Looking through my Geiser gas engine serial number book, I found this is where they listed their tractors. There are no dates of when they were built They built 64 total units. 2 - 35HP tractors 6 – 45HP portable units 29 – 45HP tractors and 27 – marked 7x7 or 7x7 45HP I don’t know if they are tractors or portables. All serial numbers were 4 digits the lowest 1897 with the highest 2714. I do not know what the tags look like. Geiser like using brass or bronze tags. One would like to thing that they used the same tag as on their gas engines BUT I can’t say for sure.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:52:24 AM
Subscriber

I am waiting to have copies of my blueprints for the gas tractor made. I have some that are on the radiator. As soon as I get them I will put them in the mail to John.
Mike
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49:50 AM
Subscriber

Here is the only factory I have on the Geiser Gas Tractor. It's one of the engine.