Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Geiser Update

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 14235 times

Old 01-13-2006, 12:00:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,214 Times in 384 Posts
Default Geiser Update

I have attached some photos of the Geiser owned by John Tysse. I stopped in at Clyde Halls to check things out last week. In the photo of the connecting rods, the one in HIS left hand had been broken and had been forged welded back together at one time. This also had caused some extensive damage to the crankcase but had been repaired. Clyde had to do some more welding to the Crankcase to repair cracks as well as make a complete new rod. He also has done extensive repairs to the cylinders and other engine compontents. Once Clyde has completed the engine work the tractor will be hauled back to Crosby to have the "other work" done, radiator and piping etc.

The plan is to have the tractor running for the 2006 Crosby Threshing Bee (July 21,22,23 2006).

Kelly T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	6264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	6265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-4.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	6266  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2006, 02:10:51 PM
Rick Mannen

Default Re: Geiser update

Kelly,
Great pictures of Mr. Tysse's Geiser and also of the Sawyer in your other thread. Too bad I am 1500 miles away as it would be nice to see these old gems all apart and what makes them tick! Clyde and Lyle worked on my Goold Shapley & Muir tractor that I got from John. It arrived home last month (some of the other chin-waggers that show up on this forum put a thread on about it!). I look at the Goold every day and am amazed at the quality of work that Clyde does! He had to recreate the entire water pump/fan/idlers/etc assembly and it is just a wonderful piece of work and so close to accurate (and works like a charm!). Any work he does is first class and the Geiser should be in fine mechanical condition when it leaves Fillmore.
Keep sending in pictures of that great old Prairie iron. All the best,
Rick.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:37:57 PM
Subscriber

Yes I remember seeing your Gould engine there. I am glad it turned out the way you wanted it.....Clyde does do quality work!

Kelly T
Old 01-14-2006, 04:10:44 AM
Subscriber

The engine in the Geiser 25-50 tractor was in tough shape, at one time in its life it had a bad smashup and they did a good job of repairing it at that time but we doubt if it ever run much if any after that, and that was many years ago. Clyde found several cracks that hadn't been fixed also had to grind the crank and pour new bearings, bore and sleeve the cylinders, bore the belt pulley hub and build up the shaft it runs on and a lot more things on the engine to fix. Worst was the fellow I got it from had filled two cylinders full of water trying to use pressure with a grease gun to get them loose but when it didn't work and it couldn't have worked he didn't take the water out and when it got cold froze and pushed the top of the combustion chamber up so being a blind cylinder Clyde had to cut open the side of the water jackets and get in and weld the cracks then weld the water jackets back up in two cylinders Gearing in the tractor is good and outside of the engine rest is better than average condition, it will make a find machine and am happy to have it and to get it in good running order again. John Tysse Jr
Old 01-21-2006, 02:49:26 AM
Registered-II

Clyde and I have been making progress on the Gieser. Here are some photos of some of the castings we have welded. The combustion chamber was split off the top of two of the cylinders, so we had to cut the jacket off to gain access. We then could vee out and cast weld together. There was alot of broken castings on the tractor, but at least the pieces were there. The crankcase had a connecting rod come through the side at one time, it had been welded up many years ago. They did a good job for what they had to work with, although they did miss some cracks. We hope to have the tractor running for the Crosby show, hopefully there will be no surprises.

Lyle Stomp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0419.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	6480   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0420.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	6481   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0421.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	6482   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0422.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	6483  

Old 01-21-2006, 10:26:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Lyle

Now here is the right man for the updates! Lyle works with Clyde Hall on a daily basis doing many tractor restorations. I will leave it up to you Lyle to keep us posted. Thanks in advance!

Kelly T
Old 01-24-2006, 12:44:56 AM
Registered-II

Just wondering if anyone has any pictures of Geiser tractors. We are particulary looking for pictures of the radiator, but any would be a help. We noticed there are about three different types or radiators used. We believe they are evaporative cooling systems, since there is a reserve tank on the platform. We're not sure which radiator we need but, maybe some pictures would give us a clue as there are other differences in the tractors.

Lyle Stomp
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43:51 AM
Subscriber

Here is some information that I found about the Geiser Gas Tractors. Looking through my Geiser gas engine serial number book, I found this is where they listed their tractors. There are no dates of when they were built They built 64 total units. 2 - 35HP tractors 6 – 45HP portable units 29 – 45HP tractors and 27 – marked 7x7 or 7x7 45HP I don’t know if they are tractors or portables. All serial numbers were 4 digits the lowest 1897 with the highest 2714. I do not know what the tags look like. Geiser like using brass or bronze tags. One would like to thing that they used the same tag as on their gas engines BUT I can’t say for sure.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:52:24 AM
Subscriber

I am waiting to have copies of my blueprints for the gas tractor made. I have some that are on the radiator. As soon as I get them I will put them in the mail to John.
Mike
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49:50 AM
Subscriber

Here is the only factory I have on the Geiser Gas Tractor. It's one of the engine.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:59:53 PM
Registered-II

Hi there, We have been making alot of progress on the Geiser. We built the new connecting rod to replace the one they made. We then rebabbited the con rod bearings and made new wrist pin bushings. We rebabbited the main bearings and are ready to line bore. The pistons are remachined undersize and trued up the wrist pin holes. They were crooked and oval shaped, no wonder the cylinders were scored bad. We have the valve guides built and the valves roughed out. The new camshaft is installed in the upper crankcase half. We almost have the water and oil pumps rebuilt, they are quite unique since they are vane pumps. I started on the lubricator on thursday, it is a six feed Mccanna lubricator pump built in Chicago. After I cleaned out what some squirrel left behind, I started to carefully take apart. It was stuck solid but it wasn't as bad of shape as i thought. With some penetrating oil and heat I got it apart. Now to clean it up and make it work again will be some fun, I don't think it ever was a good pump but I'll do what it takes to make it work. Chat at you guys another time. Lyle Stomp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0001.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	7031   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	7032   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	7033  

Last edited by Craig A; 02-12-2006 at 10:15:26 PM. Reason: rotate and edit pics
Old 02-18-2006, 11:12:27 PM
Subscriber

Here are some fresh pictures of the the Geiser. I rode along with John Tysse today to visit Clyde Hall and Lyle Stomp. I have attached photos of John and Clyde discussing some of the details. Also of the trans, water pump and the pistons and rings. The transmission is constant mess with sliding gear clutches to shift gears. The engine uses a vane type water pump and oil pump. As well as the vane oil pump it uses a mechanical lubricator for the end main brgs as well as other points not supplied by the pump. Clyde has welded up one of the pistons and machined them all to fit. As well he has made new rings, camshaft (old one was bent, lobes were removable), babbited all the internal brgs and is ready to line bore the mains. He has repaired the water and oil pumps and is in the process of relining the clutch discs and repairing other engine accessories.

Kelly T
Old 02-18-2006, 11:16:02 PM
Subscriber

Let me try the pictures again.

Kelly T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	7129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-4.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	7131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	7132  

Old 02-20-2006, 11:23:51 PM
Rick Mannen

Kelly - Great pictures of the Geiser project; hope you will keep us updated all along. That sliding gear set up is very interesting. Amazing all the different things these companies tried - they all make this old iron that much more interesting Good picture too of a jolly pair of gents. Makes you think they may actually know what they are talking about Have not seen either one in a couple of years and it looks like they are both doing well. Now, if you could just get ol' Lyle to not be so shy and get a shot of him in action!
Rick.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:15:36 PM
Subscriber

Here is one of Lyle taken the same day. He is not that shy!

Kelly T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lyle.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	7179  
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59:23 PM
Subscriber

Here are some photos of some of the things I find odd or different about the Geiser engine design.

In the attached photo of the main brgs you will notice they are attached to the lower half of the crankcase. I guess once you have the crank in you would lower the top half of the crankcase (housing the camshaft) on and then install the cylinders with the rods and pistons already installed. The back surface of the engine is a machined surface to match the front of the transmission.

In the next photo you will see this again how the crankshaft is in the lower half. Also you can see a gear that will mesh with one on the crankshaft at a 1 to 1 ratio. This shaft goes through the crankcase to another gear to drive the cam shaft with a 2 to 1 gear train. From the cam shaft a chain drives the Mag and also gear driven from the front of the engine is the accessory shaft that drives the water pump and the governor. But along this shaft is a slip cluth in case the water pump were to fail. If the clutch slips the governor would also slow down and cause a run away! The silp clutch can be seen in Mike Rohrer's photo of the engine it is just behind the Magneto.

Kelly T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crankcase front.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	7182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Brgs-2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	7183  
Old 03-19-2006, 01:22:22 PM
Subscriber

This is how the engine and tractor looked as of March 11. I have attached photos showing the front and side of the engine. In the front view you can see the arrangement to drive the accessory shaft. The brackets and shaft are being prepared to have the babbit poured. The side picture shows the mounting of the governor and water pump. Engine assembly is coming along nicely!

In the next two pictures you can see the progress made on the assembly of the tractor as a whole. One photo shows the right side of the tractor and some of the gearing coming off of the transmission. The gear protuding from the front of the Transmission case does not drive anything it seems to just have been to big for the case. The back of the engine has a recess for this gear to fit into. The engine and transmission both have machined surfaces where the meet.

The next photo is of the transmission shifter. Quite unigue! The block is slid along the bottom to select the gear and the lever on the right (clutch lever) is pushed ahead. When the lever is moved ahead the gears are shifted by the angled portion of the slot then the further movement of the lever engages the clutch. To quote Clyde and Lyle they said "the shifter mechanism reminded them of a repeater mechanism in a rifle".

I have a more photos taken the same day but will post them in a few days. They show some of the other unique features of this tractor.

KellyT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine front.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	7692   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine rear.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	7693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans right side.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	7694   Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	7695  

Old 03-22-2006, 09:10:46 AM
Registered-II

The roller cahin driving the counter-shaft on the front of the engine appears to be stainless steel in the picture, is that correct?
Mark Schleppi
Old 03-22-2006, 10:51:44 AM
Subscriber

Just regular chain.

Kelly T
Old 03-25-2006, 11:41:11 AM
Subscriber

I have attached the photos that promised in my last post.

The first one is of the Differential. This is an odd one. Clyde told me what type it was but I can't remember what he said. Maybe someone can help me out? When the gear covers were removed it was discovered that a tooth was missing from the main differential gear. Luck would have it though the tooth was imbedded in the years of dirty and grease in the bottom of the gear cover. It was welded in and dressed up and looks as good as new.

The second photo is of the adjustable front wheel hub. The outer retainer has three progressively deeper slots where the pin can be inserted. To adjust the endplay of the wheel you would remove the pin and rotate the outer retainer to the next depth of slot and reinsert the pin. I guess this was for keeping the furrow straight during those precision plowing contests!

That's it for now! Clyde and Lyle are making excellent progress on the Geiser! The tractor is expected to be running for the Crosby show July 21, 22, 23.

Hope to see you there!

Kelly T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diff.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7842   Click image for larger version

Name:	front wheel.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	7843