Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Fairbanks-Morse 1936 37D14 7 Cylinder Marine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2882 times

Old 03-08-2015, 01:36:26 PM
Registered

Default Fairbanks-Morse 1936 37D14 7 Cylinder Marine

I am contemplating restoration of the above engine and need any information I can find on the engine. Any manuals, parts, pictures, etc. would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2015, 02:01:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fairbanks-Morse 1936 37D14 7 Cylinder Marine d

http://www.oldtacomamarine.com/fairbanks/manual.html

There are links to some information about that engine at the bottom of the page the above link will take you to. There are probably more resources out there, but that's all I know of.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtbikePilot For This Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 12:22:16 PM
Subscriber

As above you can find a copy of the 37E14 manual from 1952. I have a 1942 copy that I can copy bind and send if you like, which will also have a copy of the 36A manual in case you happen to have one as a generator. I am currently involved working on a 5 cylinder version in a Tugboat and you can see/hear it running here.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
I also of course have pictures on file and I'd be happy to help anyway I can. Parts are still around, Striegel Supply being one of the usual suspects and it is always worth giving Hatch and Kirk or Mid Continent Manufacturing a call.

What's the story with the engine in question, application location etc.
Cheers
Nobby
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobby For This Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40:48 PM
Registered

Cool Video! Do you have a operation or parts manual for that engine?
The engine is in an abandoned yacht and has been scavenged a bit. This is still at the very early stages of just figuring out if anything is out there to restore the engine. Hopefully, I can find pictures, manuals and parts to put it back into service. Anything will help. Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 12:49:24 AM
Registered-II

This wouldn't be the Celt/Sachem/Sightseer/Circle Line V would it?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:13:15 AM
Subscriber

I was thinking the same thing Chris, only so many 37 - 14 Fairbanks lying around. What's interesting about the remains of the Celt/Circle Line V is that it from the pictures looks as though she had a Mule for her final power plant. You can just make out the exhaust manifold and top water jumper of a 6-71. So even before her final layup I'd reckon the Fairbanks was not running.

Swaim yes I do have a manual it's the 1942 version that I mentioned in the prior post. PM if you want to arrange for a copy, like I said though it is an earlier version of the one you can download from the site that was listed in post 2.

Cheers
Nobby
Old 03-10-2015, 07:59:05 PM
Registered-II

Nobby, I read somewhere that she had been stripped of anything of value before the last trip so it wouldn't surprise me if the engine had been cannibalized too. Yeah, the Harbormaster on the stern was her only propulsion on that trip.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:47:09 PM
Registered

Yes I was contemplating a purchase/restoration, but before I got serious I wanted to find any information to check on the viability of the project. I have a couple of other similar boats I am looking at to restore and the decision will be based on the viability of the availability of plans and parts for the final selection. I have the original construction drawings of the boats, including the Celt, but not the engines. The owners son says " they are going to start he restoration any day" but he also said he was going to set up a donation site on the Internet to raise money for the project and asked if I wanted to donate. I have read this about the boat for over 30 years and still nothing. You are right the engine has had a lot of parts stolen over they years, but I have talked with several people who think they can get parts.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:23:42 PM
Subscriber

If it were me, I'd start with verifying the crankshaft is good and take any opportunity to get a spare crankshaft if any ever surface. There was another old boat with a different model Fairbanks Morse, the John Cobb, that broke its crankshaft back in 2008. That's the kiss of death for any antique engine in my opinion.

I'm not an expert, but I think I know some stuff. Here are my thoughts. A strain gauge can show bad main bearing alignment. I'd first use a strain gauge. If that shows the crankshaft is flexing any at all, get the crank magnafluxed or just run away. I think it can be magnafluxed with the crank in the engine. If the strain gauge shows zero, make sure the crank has contact with all the bottom mains. If it is in good alignment, not flexing, and it has contact with all main bearings, it's probably good to go as long as you keep it that way. Good luck. It's always nice to hear of somebody trying to save old iron.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:33:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbikePilot View Post
If it were me, I'd start with verifying the crankshaft is good and take any opportunity to get a spare crankshaft if any ever surface. There was another old boat with a different model Fairbanks Morse, the John Cobb, that broke its crankshaft back in 2008. That's the kiss of death for any antique engine in my opinion.

I'm not an expert, but I think I know some stuff. Here are my thoughts. A strain gauge can show bad main bearing alignment. I'd first use a strain gauge. If that shows the crankshaft is flexing any at all, get the crank magnafluxed or just run away. I think it can be magnafluxed with the crank in the engine. If the strain gauge shows zero, make sure the crank has contact with all the bottom mains. If it is in good alignment, not flexing, and it has contact with all main bearings, it's probably good to go as long as you keep it that way. Good luck. It's always nice to hear of somebody trying to save old iron.

i sailed in the engine room of that ship in the early 1970s and know that most of the smaller usuable parts of that ship were removed before circle line got rid of her after 1976 the main engine was partially stripped
There was a stationary version of the same engine with identical internal parts in a power plant in watchula florida which may still be there. The problem with restoration of the sachems engine would be the corrosion caused by years of being submerged in water. The ships hull is also in very poor condition