Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Mickey Mouse Newsreel

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 5077 times

Old 09-08-2012, 01:54:28 AM
Registered

Default Mickey Mouse Newsreel

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=361408143938998
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 02:37:53 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Mickey Mouse Newsreel

Mark, that's one of your best.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Smokin Bob For This Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 06:44:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

Thanks for the video.

There is also an Rumely in it, and sure also like Mickey Mouse.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32:18 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,122 Times in 922 Posts

Walt Disney was a steam fan.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,970 Times in 2,453 Posts

Thanks for the video.very interesting to see those two young fellas running that Case engine on their own.John
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 08:12:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

I watched it multiple times but I didn't see or hear the year the footage was taken, did anyone else observe the year? Also, are the children in the video engine owners now?

Thank you
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07:10 PM
Registered

the face book page that this is linked to is the young lad steering the engine. funny he is not on the stack. but what a memory to have from your child hood steam and disney history
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Neumann jr For This Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 11:19:57 PM
Registered

Linden Lucas; posted it on Facebook
"Here is a video taken in 1957 at Rushville by Walt Disney Studios and used on the Mickey Mouse Club TV show. Thought people would enjoy seeing."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markcorson For This Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23:24 PM
Subscriber

I would guess that Judy Maple is the daughter of Rushville elder, Jack Maple. It's interesting that back in the day, that the Rushville reunion was the go to steam gathering that Disney knew about.

I like the bare foot Roy Lucas, firing the engine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K.O'Connell For This Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 11:44:57 PM
Registered

At the Pioneer Engineers Club of Indiana, Inc. of Rushville, Indiana we can easily have 3 generations working side by side at the show, and have had 4 generations working side by side at the show.

Be very careful who you talk about at the Rushville show. You my be talking to their cousin, uncle, aunt, grandfather, nephew, niece, etc, etc
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markcorson For This Post:
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15:57 PM
Registered

The facebook it is linked to is the lad running it. It was in 1957 At The Pioneer Engineers Club of Indiana, Inc. steam show. And Walter yes it is a great memory to have, I'm the 7 year old brat in the video.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Linden Lucas For This Post:
Old 09-11-2012, 07:29:25 PM
Registered

do you still have the engine, and what happened to the other young ones in the video are they still active in steam and are they on the stak as well
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14:27 PM
Registered

Walter, dad sold the engine in the mid 60s his health was getting bad. The two girls in the video are still members of the club as far as I know. As for me I still go to the show every year, but after all these years it is hard on me with out an engine there. I feel like a kid looking in to a toy store. I tracked down dads engine but it broke my heart when I saw it sitting in a field rotting. I have pictures of it on my facebook.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linden Lucas For This Post:
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57:57 PM
Registered

so any story of why its sitting in the field.looks like it was parked there and left.did it fail inspection or break,how many owners after your dad had it, no chance or intrest in geting it back. lots of questions it just seems like an interesting story over all.oh and how did they pick you and your brother as stars for that film and any benifits from it like free tickets for disney park etc. the whole thing amazes me
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28:47 PM
Registered

Walter if you really want to hear the story you will have to give me some time to put my thought's together, it's been a very long time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linden Lucas For This Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 06:28:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden Lucas View Post
Walter if you really want to hear the story you will have to give me some time to put my thought's together, it's been a very long time.
that would be supercool.its a almost a where are they now story, and a awsome memory, im almost jelus.the more detail the better
Old 09-13-2012, 06:18:49 PM
Registered

OK Walter here it is, hope it don't make me look to dumb.

I will try to answer all of your questions to the best of my ability. It has been 55 years since that video was taken. Hell I’m 62 now and have problems remembering what I did yesterday let alone 55 years ago. LOL. Your first question of why the engine is sitting in a field. Dad sold the engine in the early 70’s when his health started to deteriorate. I pleated with him to let me have it, but he refused with the explication that we had been cleaning the scale out of the boiler for the past 13 years. Back in those days it was not as easy to check the thickness of the boiler as it is today. He was afraid I would blow myself up. For the next 40 years I heard rumors that the new owner was not taking very good care it. Then I heard that it was sold to a gentleman in the Columbus Indiana area that had plans to use it in a sawmill. In 2008 I changed jobs and started driving a delivery truck which took me to that area. I was driving down the interstate one day when I saw two engines sitting beside a barn and one of them looked like a Case. So I stopped and check on them. I though that since it was the same area what was the chance that it was Dad’s engine. Well needless to say it wasn’t. But it did start the desire in me to find it. After the engine was sold it was hard for me to go to the steam show with out an engine, I felt lost so I stopped going for a few years. When I got the desire to find it I started going back to the show and looked up some old friends and started asking questions about the engine because I know the first gentleman that bought it took it to the show the first couple of years. So after asking around I found a member of the club that worked on it and said the whole top part of the engine was worn out. So one person lead to another till I found one who knew where it was and gave me the address which was right on my route. One day I stopped to see the owner. After I explained who I was and what I wanted he said I could drive back in his field to see it, (very nice man). After talking with him he told me he was retired from Caterpillar and loves to collect junk. He has a couple of portable sawmills and an upright boiler and his intensions was to take the engine off and use it to run his sawmills. He also said he understood the sentimental value it has to me and that he would be willing to sell it, but wouldn’t give me a price. All he would say is that I would not believe how much he gave for it so I didn’t push the matter any. As for interested in having it back, yes would love have it for no other reason than to keep it from ending up in the scrap pile if the gentleman should pass away, Yet I have to face reality, I don’t have a place to put it, and as you know a person would have to own or have access to a machine shop. It would be a monumental undertaking to restore. Don’t know if I would have the money or life time left to do the job. I always said if I won the lottery I would buy it and set it over Dad’s grave as a head marker. LOL, Hope this answered your questions about the engine. Now for the video. There is no one left alive that can truthfully answer the question of how Disney and the Pioneer Engineers Club got together. I’m going to take an educated guess of how it happen. At the time this video was taken it was one of the first years the club mover from one of the founders sawmills to the Rushville Conservation ground. The club had a gentleman serving as secretary by the name of John Menchofer. He did an outstanding job of promotion for the club in the newspapers and steam engine magazines. I am very sure he had something to do with contacting Disney and it is a known fact that Walt had a fascination for steam engines, and if a memo crossed his desk about steam he would more than likely jump on it. To my best recollection there was a meeting that morning between the Disney crew, the club president which was a gentleman by the name of Ray Jones, and the club directors. Disney explained what they was looking for which was things featuring children. And I imagine Dad told them about his 7 an 9 year old kids which was capable of operating his engine. Disney then meets us at the engine where they instructed us on what to do. They filmed us and many other things on the grounds. When they left no one know what was going to be in the film which would be taken back to the studios to for edited. There were other kids just out of camera range wanting to get in to the move. As far as why me and my brother was picked all I can say is we were at the right place at the right time and at the right age. When they left they gave us a date it would be aired on TV. Dad made them promise to send us a copy of the film which they did. As far as receiving any benefits we did get a certification saying we were honorary Mousekateers.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:03:46 PM
Subscriber

Linden,

That Case engine needs a new owner! It's just rotting away.
It looks complete. If you could buy it and find someone trustworthy who has a place to store it out of the rain for you, that would be half the battle.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10:33 PM
Registered

That is true. I will be making another trip to talk to him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linden Lucas For This Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 07:45:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,825 Times in 872 Posts

That is quite a story! So you have the whereabouts, and are part of a nice little piece of history.

If you can't restore it, it could be interesting to find someone in your area who does have the resources to. LIttle doubt having part of the history on board would be as much of a bonus as a finders fee.

On the negative, if it needs a new boiler as well as all kinds of machine work, it could take more in repair $ than it's completed value - but then not every engine comes with a historical video either!

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Not to prod you into a venture you can't afford [says the guy with no steam in his own shed either], but the only way you can top the story you just related is by concluding it with "boy and engine reunited."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreasyIron For This Post: