Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > Other Vintage and Antique Collectibles > Antiques and toys for the Home > Vintage Toy Railroading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Railroading All scales G, O, HO, S, N, plus Lionel, American Flyer and Marx

Vintage Toy Railroading

Regner Max Live Steam Loco

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 550 times

Old 11-25-2018, 05:52:37 AM
Subscriber

Default Regner Max Live Steam Loco

Slightly modified Regner Max from a friend in Florida. Long video, but lots of camera angles... pulling 8 Mamod rail cars and a GoPro, lots of wheelslip and my floor must be uneven near the kitchen sink as it always slowed down in the same spot...

(watch in HD and please subscribe)

If you only have time for the short version and want to take a ride, check this one out instead:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Severson For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2018, 09:49:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Re: Regner Max Live Steam Loco

Great videos, Nick!

I used to live in an old farmhouse and the floors were so uneven I think I would have needed a trestle to set up a track like yours!

I wonder if the loco would get more traction if you rubbed a piece of rosin on the rails. I’m not a model railroader, so I don’t know all the tricks, but that thought jumped in my head while watching your videos.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 10:03:27 AM
Subscriber

Would definitely be worth a try and would have to be better than all the oil and water these things drip onto the track. The biggest problem with getting traction is the Regner is far too lightweight and of course I had just taken all my spare lead to my dad's for bullet casting. Will have to bring back a few spare ingots for future "playing"... I barely had the steam regulator open and I think if I had some weight in the right places it could pull twice as many cars, problem is that's all I have in the collection.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:51:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

I can see where some weight would definitely help. I also noticed the bolts you had on the loco for weight, but I think you’re right about some lead being better.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 11-25-2018, 01:57:04 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,900 Times in 842 Posts

Some lead would help certainly. Also keeping the track clean is vital for traction. Atleast you don't have to worry about electrical continuity.

Robert
Old 11-25-2018, 02:07:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist View Post
I can see where some weight would definitely help. I also noticed the bolts you had on the loco for weight, but I think you’re right about some lead being better.
Yep, steam was up and I was in a hurry to find anything with a little weight that wouldn't fall off... put a steel plate and washers on the back which immediately eliminated the wheel slip, but that made the front very light so I quickly set a few bolts wherever there was room. Will definitely have to look into a better fitting solution using lead.

---------- Post added at 12:07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroads View Post
Some lead would help certainly. Also keeping the track clean is vital for traction. Atleast you don't have to worry about electrical continuity.

Robert
At least this one "spits" the exhaust off to the side of the track, but engine itself still drips water down onto the gears so there is some water/oil mix dripping onto the track. I chased it around with a rag between all the video shots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Severson For This Post: