Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Mickey Mouse collects old iron!

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1945 times

Old 03-22-2006, 07:20:02 PM
Registered-II

Default Mickey Mouse collects old iron!

I just returned to my 28 degree home from sunny Florida where I let a dang mouse take all my money. Anyway, while walking around Disney World I noticed that they have a lot of interesting old iron being wasted (oops, I meant used) for decoration. I saw several hit and miss engines, steam engines, half breeds and related equipment just sitting out rotting away. The one that really caught my eye was a Vertical Fairbanks Morse Hoisting engine that was totally complete including the hoist. It was even set up on an abandon mine to look like it had always been operating there (the mine is a roller coaster ride). I found it a bit sickening that they would waste a high end engine like that for a stage prop when I was probably the only one in the park that day that knew what it was. Of course, when I figure how much I spent there times the other half million people that visited last week then I guess they can afford to let the stuff rust. At least I had something to look at besides flowers and Disney characters!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2006, 08:05:42 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Mickey Mouse collects old iron!

CWC , STOP YOU BELLY ACKING, AT LEAST YOU GOT AWAY
FROM YOU YOUR BOSS, THATs worth it, well your back know ,So go
buy that 2 hp aircooled upright IH on stak, i know you did not,spent that
much money down at mickey mouse land. because was no iron to buy. lol

melon
Old 03-22-2006, 09:55:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,175 Times in 1,102 Posts

Mickey also has a 30-60 'E' Rumely stashed somewhere.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:46:24 PM
Registered-II

Unhappy Re: Mickey Mouse collects old iron!

You'd think with all the money that mouse is makin' they could afford to make a fiberglass model of an engine and leave the real stuff to us guys that really appreciate them. Ta.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:11:38 PM
In Memory Of

Ain't jealousy a wonderful thing?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:16:40 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs down Re: Mickey Mouse collects old iron!

Yes....I saw the engines at Di$ney World too. It is a shame to see them just sitting there, but you gotta remember that to most people, they are just old rusty junk. That greasy little rodent is too busy with his hands in your pockets, to care about preserving some old iron.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:14:50 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,584 Times in 4,241 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Mickey Mouse collects old iron!

I first visited DW soon after it opened, and saw the engines then. I went to EPCOT, and there they have a center where you can access the DW archives. If you can't get the info you want, someone at DW will contact you with the info requested eventually. When I first went to DW, they used to take you to the park on a live paddlewheel steamship (oscala class vessel - was rated a ship by 5/8" length). The ship ride was neat, and at least you could get to the park when the monorail broke down (first time there, it was broken down more than running! ) Anyways, On my next visit, 10 years later, the steam ships were no longer there. I went to Epcot"s info center and I had asked where had the steam boats gone, and where did they get the engines that are there at the park. This was their reply:

1) Soon after my first visit, the steamships were scrapped out and broken up. The Feds had changed the licensing parameters, and made it very difficult to pilot and maintain the ships. I was told it was too expensive to transport them to another location, and be sold, so they were broken up. At the time, they were only 5 or 6 years old!

2) the old gas engines were obtained at several local auctions, before the park was even built! Disney actually began buying materials to be used at the park, as early as 1964, and actually began buying florida property in the late -50s, even though Walt announced the plans in 1966.

3) the park has no plans to make any of the engines operational, they are static display only. Some ran when they were purchased though!

4) at the time of my last visit (1996), I counted at least 13 steam and gas engines on display. Does anyone know how many are there now?

Andrew
Old 03-23-2006, 02:33:07 PM
Sky

so is that why some of us liked mickey mouse when we was little, becouse he collects old iron?