Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Lucas 4VRA Magneto. MG XPAG Engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 438 times

Old 05-25-2018, 12:13:14 AM
Registered-III

Photo Lucas 4VRA Magneto. MG XPAG Engine

I recently purchased the above Lucas Competition Magneto for a MG XPAG engine. I would like to get some spares for it if I can find a source. Mainly a new coil cover and distribution cap, rotor, condensers and point sets and lastly a coil. Again these items are for spares in the event they are needed in the future. A Google search didnít offer much. Is their a good supply source on either side of the pond that anyone can recommend?

Bill Chasser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59236036-A2D3-4D20-BC8B-47C68C6C9456.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	311184  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2018, 11:58:34 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Lucas 4VRA Magneto. MG XPAG engine

Hi Bill,
Firstly at the top of this page there I a list of short cuts and on the right hand side is a "sponsors" link click on that and start making contact with one that is closest to you.
Secondly I am not completely certain but your magneto 'looks' similar to what was used on early David Brown tractors made in the UK. Try using Google again and look for a Company listed as David Brown Parts UK. They have a comprehensive list of parts for electrics and I have dealt with them from here in Australia and found that they are extremely helpful and patient with identifying parts.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:15:24 AM
Administrator

Thanked 11,705 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default Re: Lucas 4VRA Magneto. MG XPAG Engine

I used to work on MG sport cars, TD and TF. My brother had a TC and TD.

Here are your suppliers: https://mossmotors.com/ Also: https://abingdonspares.com/
Old 05-26-2018, 09:10:37 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Lucas 4VRA Magneto. MG XPAG Engine

4VRA coils, condensers and points are available at www.magnetoparts.co.uk. They may have the other parts although they are not listed, worth contacting them.

Dave
Laoag City
Philippines
Old 06-05-2018, 04:54:39 AM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Lucas 4VRA Magneto. MG XPAG Engine

Thank you every one for your responses to my inquiry. Sorry for the slow responses. I donít frequent this site as much as I used to. I do use Moss and AS regularly but they donít offer parts for magnetos as they are truly a specialty item beyond the normal MG products. The car this is intended for was a factory built competition car that my dad special ordered direct from Abingdon in early 1951 and has a few rare options that were said to not exist on any regular production TD or TD/c. The biggest and most noticeable were the factory installed bucket seats. I know of only three other such cars all of which went to factory backed racers in early 1950 and are well documented in period articles. Most notably the Dec issue of AutoSport magazine. Dadís car was a US market car and likely is one of two LHD cars so equipped. The other car was also a local car owned by Bud McCormick and these two cars were run as a team effort in local SCCA rally and road course events. Buds car has been lost to time after his death 20 years ago and its whereabouts are unknown. Dadís car was also lost until I rediscovered it through chasing parts for another TD/c project in southern Ca. The gentleman who was the owner at that time made it his mission that the car be returned to the family (me). Itís under going a ground up restoration including new timbers and Iím presently getting bogged down in the details and prepping the car for paint. It has been a labor of love and recently the engine breathed new life after a 60 year deep sleep. I can post pics if interested

I will look into the UK suppliers mentioned above for Lucas parts. Currently the mag has been sent to Joe Hunt magnetos in Sacramento Ca for inspection and a tune up. Yes you are correct that this style Magneto was used commonly on tractor applications.

Again many thanks and Iíll report back with my findings

Regards

Bill Chasser