Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairmont engine info needed

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 462 times

Old 11-08-2018, 02:53:50 PM
Registered

Default Fairmont engine info needed

Hi. I am new to Smokestak and stationary engines. I acquired a Fairmont ROC Speeder engine for $75 and an old seized Johnson LT 10 Outboard. I am trying to get it to fire using a Ford model T Buzz Coil. I believe I have it wired correctly however I cannot get it to fire. I bring the engine around slowly to the compression stroke but cannot get the coil to Buzz or produce a spark. It does Buzz if I take my finger and slightly lift up the points to create a gap. Do you think the timer might be the problem on the engine ??? Does anyone have a detailed wiring schematic ??? Also would it be better to make a newer Buzz Coil from a automotive Coil and relay ??? Need Help. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikesMarineAndDeli For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2018, 03:17:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fairmont ROC Speeder Engine

lots of good info on buzz coil operation can be found here...

https://www.old-engine.com/magbuz.htm

Also, the moderators will probably be moving your thread in the near future to the "antique gas engine discussion" section. Since you already know it's a Fairmont, it doesn't really belong in the "unidentified engines" section.

Good luck, Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to ScooterBob For This Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 04:14:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,182 Times in 3,997 Posts
Exclamation Fairmont engine info needed

I have moved this thread to the proper forum.

Which engine are you trying to time? if the Fairmont, There were 2 types of timer. On the earlier the timing cam forces 2 contacts together to complete the ignition circuit. you need to adjust the points so that they close when the timing cam comes in contact with the rubbing block on the points. if the block is broken, the points wont close. With the timer lever straight up, the engine should fire at roughly TDC - a few degrees either way. As long as the points are closed, the coil will get power to fire. On the later, the cam made the circuit complete to ground. On both, the original Fairmont coil did not have a vibrator or condenser. The condenser was mounted on the timer. On a T coil, the condenser is internal. The original coil acted like a modern auto coil - the coil made spark when the points opened. If you use a T coil, you have to wire as follows: Early - Battery positive, thru a switch, power to coil, coil ground side to one lead on points, second lead from points to engine ground. Engine ground to battery ground. When the points close, the coil will vibrate. You do not have to use the timer mounted condenser. On the 'newer timer', battery power to a switch and then to the coil, coil ground to timer, engine block to battery ground. The timer grounds the coil making spark. To start the engine, you put the timer at 45 degrees TOWARD the direction you want the engine to run. Open the throttle full open. Turn the fuel adjuster 11/2 turns out from lightly seated, and roll the engine thru the compression stroke 2 times with the choke full on, Ignition OFF. Turn on ignition, release choke, close throttle to 1/2 way open roll the engine against the compression stroke, BACKWARDS from the direction you want the engine to run. As it comes up on compression, it should fire way early, and start itself. Advance timing to TDC (straight up) or advances, and adjust throttle to slow engine. Adjust mixture for best running, if you do not load the engine. If you plan to load it, set mixture slightly rich. You should not run the ROC any faster than about 1500 RPM, no load. Normal fast speed was around 1200 RPM. 16:1 SAE 30 NON-deyergent or TCW-3 OIL only, no modern lubes or cutting the ratio of oil to fuel. I have heard of many people cutting the ratio to 20:1, but although the engine runs great, they have ended up with con rod bearing problems. NEVER run the engine without water in the hopper! Doing so will cause cracks in the cylinder or hopper due to expansion.
Andrew
Old 11-11-2018, 10:49:06 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Fairmont engine info needed

WOW. Thank you so much for all your valued information Andrew. That will help me out immensely. ����

---------- Post added at 08:49:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47:18 AM ----------

Thank you very much Bob
Old 11-18-2018, 11:08:16 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Fairmont engine info needed

Ive got quite a few fairmonts that i run of various models. These engines are touchy about air leaks and where the mixture is set, especially running without a load. If you get it started babysit it a long while till your sure the mix needle is set where it needs to be. I use to run model t coils and have switched to 12v round automotive coils. Much better spark with alot less problems.