Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco Light Plant

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2395 times

Old 11-27-2001, 11:46:57 PM
Kevin Parks

Default Delco Light Plant

I have a Delco Light plant that I just bought and got running. It seems to be complete except for a few holes in the gas tank. I was wanting a manual for it but I can't figure out what model it is. According to some pictures on a web site, it looks like a model 600. The only thing I can find on the engine is a tag that says "delco light" and the serial number. The engine will run as long as I hold up on the starter switch. But if I let go it will run a few seconds and then the switch will let go and the engine will quit. Is the starter switch supposed to be made all the time while it is running or is it supposed to let out after it starts. I just cranked it this weekend and was afraid to let it run very long because I don't know what is right and what is wrong for a Delco. Thanks, any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2001, 07:54:58 PM
Gus Simms

Default Re: Delco Light Plant

I'm not the Delco expert, but the ones I have need to have a purpose(a reason to run), that would mean a load on them, and I don't mean letting the wife sit on it. Try putting a few hundred watts of resistance on the line side and see what happens. They are meant to be automatic in that they will shut down when they have no reason to run. A good source of load, lacking 32V stuff, would be some 110V light bulbs(they will glow a bit) or just some resistance wire salvaged from an old electric heater. The starting lever should stay up. Most of my automatic plants are reluctant to stay running with a 30 volt battery set and some don't like my 36 volt set that I normally use. I have a 600 watt model Delco and it won't stay running at all without a "load".
Old 11-30-2001, 09:49:18 AM
Kevin Parks

Default Re: Delco Light Plant

Thanks for the information, I will try these things out and see what happens.