Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Predator Generators

this thread has 168 replies and has been viewed 117774 times

Old 07-11-2017, 10:48:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Predator Generators

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2017, 11:19:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,949 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84prerunner View Post

back from the dead bump! did you ever get that thing back up and running? how many hours?
Gosh, didn't think anyone here cared!
Yes, got it repaired. Was just what I thought (bad brushes). Got 3 sets for $5, shipped from China by slow junk. Hours about the same. I just have it as backup.

As to your little gen... looks like a "molex" connector. My absolute least favorite electrical connector. Had one that burnt up near identical on one of my surplus diesel gens. Rather than hard wire I'd reccomend "eurostyle" barrier strips. (Screw crimped from each side. Easy use and mount. Easy dissasembly if needed.)
Doc
Old 07-12-2017, 12:48:15 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
Yes, got it repaired. Was just what I thought (bad brushes). Got 3 sets for $5, shipped from China by slow junk. Hours about the same. I just have it as backup.
Doc
I read your posts, and I read anything about small generators. Nothing to say, so no comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 02:31:09 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post

As to your little gen... looks like a "molex" connector. My absolute least favorite electrical connector. Had one that burnt up near identical on one of my surplus diesel gens. Rather than hard wire I'd reccomend "eurostyle" barrier strips. (Screw crimped from each side. Easy use and mount. Easy dissasembly if needed.)
Doc
haha i ready everyone one of your posts throughout this thread today. ran across it while trying to find anyone else who has reviewed the generator i have, no such luck though which is part of the reason i posted.

I can go back and add a connector of some sort later on if i decide i want to but for now there is enough wire to pull the front plate off and lay it aside with the wires still connected.
The Following User Says Thank You to 84prerunner For This Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:32:35 AM
Registered

I figure this one pic will show how the weekend went lol

The Following User Says Thank You to 84prerunner For This Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 03:19:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,244 Times in 649 Posts

From my experience with Predators they are not worth repair as cheap as parts are online. When they break just scrap them and buy another. I had a perfect running 8500 watt one just 2 months ago a friend gave me that had a leaky carb. Bought a new carb online for $20.00 shipped and a brush set for $12.00 because they were worn low. The thing ran perfect and generated perfect when I got it. I replaced the carb and had it running sweet. Replaced the brushes and it was all set. I tested it daily for a week before I listed it on Craigs. When the guy came to look at it it was DEAD. I tried everything to make it generate but no luck. I finally said he could take it because I was scrapping it. He didnt want it because he was shipping it overseas and it had to work. To the curb it went minus carb and brushes. As luck would have it I fell into the best Honda deal of my life a month later and sold my China Honda knock off for $100.00 more than I paid for the Honda.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:59:43 AM
Registered

little update...soo the stark tools generator i posted above suddenly quit putting out power middle of the weeked so i rushed out and bought the honda so i would have something reliable for the next 10+ yrs. Anyways got the stark tools one working again, ended up being a bad AVR. $2.29 and its back in business, i know have a backup for the honda (which i honestly doubt ill ever need, VERY nice unit).
Old 09-30-2017, 09:28:33 PM
Registered

Could use some help or direction. Sorry couldn't make my own new post so search related thread. If any help would be nice thank you.
So I did some work in exchange for a 7000 watt predator. Was told it ran don't produce power. So got it home looked it over and found brushes were not making contact. I then replaced them new and now I find when fired up I can only get 1.3 ish volts starting coming out of brushed and stays that way all the way thrift the receptacles. That's where I'm at. Researching how to test ohms or checking stator windings. Thanks !
Old 09-30-2017, 10:06:41 PM
Subscriber

Output is not through brushes, rather from stator windings. The brushes feed exciter field in rotor. Should be an aux winding that feeds the AVR, which feeds the exciter field through brushes. But sounds like you may need to flash field winding. Take a 12v battery and with gen running (and avr disconnected from brushes) momentarily connect battery to brushes. Then stop gen and reconnect things. Start again and check output.
Doc

Oh, forgot to mention you can download a manual, usually with wiring diagram from the Harbor Frieght website. Just search on model number.
Gosh, I stand corrected. Just looked at 7000w manual and NO WIRING DIAGRAM. You might have better luck searching on model number, maybe older models still show diagram.

Here is link to a pdf diagram on my gdrive. For 6500W but should be close. Does have diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1p...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by Thaumaturge; 09-30-2017 at 10:46:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thaumaturge For This Post:
Old 09-30-2017, 11:19:43 PM
Registered

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I thought that might be the issue I read after pulling the stator but got looking and it has two perm magnets along the stator a couple inches so I don't thing exiting will do much but I could still try. And I might have worded it wrong but yes the brushes are a only utput for the avr. I pulled the avr and tested brushes and got that voltage. And I'll look around for the wiring diagram thanks for adivce! Others input would also help clear the waters. Self teaching with others willingness to explain. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2017, 03:34:43 AM
Subscriber

Just click on link in my last post for diagram. I found I had an old pdf that included drawing. Should be pretty close to yours. I put it up on my gdrive for whoever might need a Predator diagram.
Doc
Old 01-31-2018, 02:27:40 AM
Registered-I

Question Re: Predator Generators

I have a question, my 4000 watt predator generator has several times recently had the power drop low, so the light bulbs just a dim glow, then go back to normal. The engine runs fine doesn't miss a beat while this happens. It will do it several times or more in an 'episode' and varying durations from momentary to several minutes of low power. Lately these 'episodes' happen more frequently, sometimes right after startup, other times after its ran several hours, no pattern. I recently read a thread where the breakers were the culprit. They did not trip (mine don't either) and are the thermal type, 13 amp. I went out and pulled the button out manually (they are the push button reset only type) and pushed them in, several times each. The problem seemed to have went away for couple days but it started again, which is pretty much what it did before when I pulled end cover & control panel and checked all connections, (that seemed to cure it for a couple days to). Much as I look I cant find much on these thermal breakers dropping power, only cutting it out when they go bad. Anyone have any similar experience with a problem like mine? I have an avr & brush set ordered as that seemed to be the general consensus of whats wrong. Wondering if I should add breakers to the order, or does this indicate a bigger problem not worth fixing?
I know there's more 'bad' reviews than good on the predators here. I must have gotten a good one. November 25th, 2015 I bought at HF the predator 4000 watt peak generator. I live off grid and have used it virtually every day since, many times well into the early next morning, with only a few days here or there when I was out of town or gone camping/hunting that it hasn't run atleast some. I can only guess how many hours are on it, but it would be alot, way alot! It only runs the lights and TV, also a small fan during the winter for the wood stove. A 700 watt microwave or a coffee maker but not together, and only a short time in the morning. Lights are all the low wattage twirly bulbs and its only a 24 x 20 cabin so not a big load. Ive never tripped a breaker, or used the 220v plug. It has started first pull all this time (except the -20+ days it takes a couple pulls). I've always changed oil every weekend need it or not, cleaned air filter and spark plug. I cant say a bad thing about them for obvious reasons! This old girl doesn't owe me a dime so if its in the generator itself I can retire her with no regrets, and go back and buy another one.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:39:50 AM
Subscriber

Does indeed sound like brushes to me. (You said engine speed remains constant during dropout.) Have had no problems with breakers, while it is certainly possible you got some bad ones, I think it unlikely.... How are you tapping power? 120 outlets or the 240 RV connector? As I recall the breakers are separate, one to each 120 outlet. Should be easy to eliminate the breakers with just a lightbulb load. Very unlikely both would go intermittant at same time. The link I posted above to the 6500 should be same as 4000.
Doc
Old 03-07-2018, 11:44:59 AM
Registered

A few years back, my parents got me a backup generator as a gift. It was a Predator 4000 from Harbor Freight. I set it up and tested it, and it ran and I even plugged a light in it at the time and it lit up. I then followed the instructions for draining fuel and whatever to store it.

Over the weekend, Northeast PA got hammered by that blizzard, and we got 20 inches of snow and lost power from 10am Friday to about 4:30 PM Tuesday.

I pulled out the generator, gassed it up, check oil, etc. I wheeled it outside and started it up, and she fired up on the first pull. I thought everything was fine. I let it run for 5-10 minutes, I then moved the choke to the run position.

I ran an 100 foot extension cord from the generator, through my basement, up into my first floor kitchen. First thing I plugged in was a name brand surge protector power strip. I laid it on the floor, and a few seconds later I heard it make a pop sound, then it very quickly started crackling and spaking, and a small flame came out the outlet. I unplugged that power strip and tossed it in the yard.

I looked over the power generator. Everything seemed ok, and I went back upstairs and found a cheap lamp with a new CFL bulb. I plugged it in, and it lit up and I thought the power strip was a fluke. The bulb quickly burned out, and I noticed the white plastic on the bulb was all browned.

I tried another bulb, same thing.

I shut down the power generator, wheeled it back in the house. And over the next few days, my whole freezer thawed out and I lost everything in my fridge and freezer.

Lesson learned: cheap Harbor Freight knock-off generators should never be trusted in an emergency situations. And Thank God I did not plug my fridge into that thing.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:05:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,249 Times in 2,663 Posts

Certainly glad you were savvy enough to test it with simple cheap things.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 03-07-2018, 12:14:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Certainly glad you were savvy enough to test it with simple cheap things.
Hopefully, I will have power this weekend. I couldn't take being in a cold house with no power after 4 days (I have electric heat, electric stove/oven,etc..). I dumped out my fridge and freezer food contents into the woods for the animals and put the wrappers and plastic/paper/glass stuff in the trash. Winterized the place, and headed out to stay with family for a few days. I'm supposed to be getting another 16-20" again today. I know the power is back on, so the house is set at 69 degrees, water lines drained and off.

If the power if still on when I get home after this storm ends, I will look for an electric tester and see if the 120V lines are putting out more power/amps then what they are supposedly rated at.

Next step will be to find someone that can work on the electrical components of the generator. The engine fires right up and purrs, however, the power it puts out seems to set stuff on fire.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:12:02 PM
Registered-III

iíve been reading nothing but good reviews from one of the predator new models the 3500i inverter model

itís suppose to be as quiet as a honda eu3000i , a bit more watts, and iíve seen it on sale for 649.

i saw some guy got 3000 hrs on his so far.
anyone here buy one? if so iíd like to hear how many hours yours has.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:45:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,244 Times in 649 Posts

In defense of the Predator generators Ive seen many with many many hours on them. In the part of New Haven known as Long Wharf there is a road that runs along side I-95 that has parking on both sides if you want to sit and eat lunch etc while looking out Long Island Sound. There are dedicated lots where dozens of Spanish food service trucks park serving up food from any one of the countries south of the border, and 99% is damn good food at great prices. They park here every day all day, they arent a brick and mortar business. The trucks are all long wheel base bread truck style and most Ive seen have a Predator 8500 watt generator mounted to the front bumper on a platform for power. They get run all day every day. They seem to last quite a while and Im sure most people just toss them when they develop an issue because after only a couple months of use they've paid for themselves. They usually last a year most guys told me there. Not bad for made in China but I agree the quality leaves some to be desired at times. They do run pretty smooth and quiet though compared to domestic brands.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:12:52 AM
Subscriber

My current 4k (non-inverter) model has over 1900 actual hours on it and is still going strong. Only maintenance done has been regular oil changes and replacement of stock carburetor after choke detent failed around 1500 hours ($22 off Amazon). Previous of same model lasted up to 3000 hours. Not bad for junk.
Doc
Old 03-22-2018, 10:21:43 AM
Email NOT Working

If it is a copy of a Honda it shouldn't be that hard to get it to last like a Honda. 3000 hours is not that great but it is getting pretty close. So long as they don't throw a rod or do something terrible and last until they gracefully wear out, that is what I would call good quality.