Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

No not another Delco question

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 2357 times

Old 01-22-2001, 12:51:32 AM
Jay Leeper

Default No not another Delco question

Well the good news is I can finely post here legally because I picked up a Delco. The bad news (for you guys) is I donít know squat about it. I think it is a 752 I went back and read all the posts on Delcoís. So see if I am right so far. Itís red so it must have been back to the factory at some point. The flywheel has the #ís 3-4 and in another spot 200152 cast on it. On the block there is 99281 and 4-20 cast in to it and under the points is stamped 332684 I assume this is the serial #. So would you say 4-20 is the date of manufacture? I found this gas tank close by is it the original? Also in the same shed was this 3-legged stool (looks like a tall milking stool) on the back of it is a label that say Delco light plant stand. Itís about 2 foot tall and the legs are 1-inch pipe. Anyone have an idea what this is? I have a lot more question but I will space them out. Jay

http://aircooledengines.homestead.com/delco.html
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2001, 05:36:14 PM
Don C. Wiley

Default Re: No not another Delco question

Jay, starting around 1928 Delco started painting different models different colors. They still used black on the Model 850s and 600s until the end of manufacture. They painted some of the later "L" head series 8AE,8AB, etc red and some of them blue, so if it is red doesn't mean it was re-done at the factory. If it was black when manufactured and then was sent to be re-built it was then painted red,(maybe). I have a Model 752 with original re paint and I have one with original black paint. The red one is dated 1928 and the black one has no cast dates at all. GO FIGURE.

I will have to live another 60 years to get this all straight. I am providing you folks with information I am currently aware of, and I would suppose there are others out there in cyber space that are more knowledgeable than I am, but they may be too shy to talk to you.

I would bet that if you truly have a Model 752 it was painted red from the factory. As far as I know all Model 752s had a semi-automatic control panel on them. If yours has a control panel the model number was printed on a paper on the inside of the panel door, if the paper is still intact. You could operate up to about 7 to 10 amp load and that load would work off the battery alone. If you added more load than that pre-set load the generator would start automatically.

Delco bought the control panels from an independent supplier and they used some of the semi-automatic panels on various other models. They also used several different styles of control panels. Some would start the generator after the battery voltage dropped below 29 volts, some would start only after an excess load was applied, and some would even start when you applied any load. They were known as fully automatic.

The gas tank could be original. Delco made a five gallon can with two pipes attached to the top, one was a pick up tube and the other was far a return. Most delcos with a fuel pump recycled the gas. I guess they hadn't discovered the float bowl as yet.

The three leg stool was for a utility motor. It was a small 1/6th to 1/4 HP back geared motor which was used for any thing you wanted to run with it, grain grinder, butter churn, corn sheller, or what have you.

I have a lot more answers but I don't want to take up ALL of Harry's space today.

"DELCO DON"