Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco Model 8C3

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 2187 times

Old 01-30-2001, 01:49:54 AM
Bob Kelly

Default Delco Model 8C3

I am new to the hobby (1 year/7 engines) and am going to purchase a Delco Model 8C3. I have several questions and hope someone can help. First there are no batteries with this unit. What would be the best route to take to get 32 volts worth of batteries hooked in series? Cost is a factor as I have limited funds. Next, the light plant came with a copy of "Delco-Light Service Manual--Models 778and 786". Is this manual OK to use with my model 8C3? Third, has anyone created a list of "common" problems that are encountered when dealing with the relay panel and/or engine. Can I burn unleaded gas? Well that covers the high points. Hope someone can help. I'm really excited about the hobby and showed at all but one of our club's events last year--great fun. Thanks Harry for the site!

Best,

Bob Kelly--Lompoc, CA
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2001, 07:09:38 PM
Don C. Wiley

Default Re: Delco Model 8C3

Bob, my information indicates that the 8C-3 and the 778 and 786 are very similar. I would think you could use the 778/786 manual to do the standard maintenance. If you get into more in depth repair you will need more help. I assume yours has a control panel with (I think) five relays in it. There is a reverse current relay in there that probably is bad, and if it doesn't work your motor won't run or won't run right.

You have several options on the batteries. I have used three 12 volt lawn and garden batteries in series. The best is to use two 12 volt deep cycle and one 8 volt deep cycle.

I burn unleaded with 10% ethenol and mine have been running for several years at shows. Some of those generators had an A-C fuel pump on them and some did not. If you have a fuel pump the modern gas will disolve the diphram. You will need to change that. I have some material I got out of some old propane regulators and that seams to work alright.

If you need further help, e-mail me and I'll try to provide it.

"DELCO DON"