Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

GEM mag light plant

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2817 times

Old 02-06-2001, 09:15:45 PM
Frank DeWitt

Default GEM mag light plant

The March ishue of GEM has a Lister light plant on the cover. Wow. Light plants have made the bigtime. It is owned by Gus. Gus has a light plant web page at It has a great old engine line. " To most novices, generators (commonly called light plants) may appear to be heavy, complicated, ugly and loud. But, any accomplished generator man will assure you that they are just that!!" Nice article Gus
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2001, 10:03:47 PM
Guy (GUS) Simms

Default Re: GEM mag light plant

Oh, Gee, Gawrsh, 'Twern't nuthin'. If you hear a popping sound, it's just my buttons. Thanks Frank!
Old 02-13-2001, 09:28:52 PM
Loren

Gus, finally received my March GEM today and gosh it definitely was worth the wait. I'd seen your Lister-Bruston on your site, but had no idea just how great the genset really looks!! You did a fantastic job restoring, painting and shinin' the complete unit!! Kinda' makes me jealous. That is one very,very beautiful genset and I am quite sure you're very proud to be the owner and that it was well-worth all the time, work and finances involved. The story wasn't a bit shabby either, very interesting and informative. Maybe your cover picture and story will help to inspire more of us lightplant/generator collectors and restorers to also send in pictures and write stories to GEM or E&E or Farm Collector about our plants. I haven't sent in an article since October, 1997 when I wrote about my Johnson Motor Wheel, so its time for me to "get goin'" again!!! I have nearly all the GEM issues and unless I am mistaken, your Lister-Bruston is the first Lightplant or generator or charger unit that made the front cover since the March-April, 1973 issue which had a Delco plant (placed in a homemade tractor). If there have been more, I apoligize for missing them, but I do know for certain that there have been very few stories on plants over the years. We can't brag to EVERYONE if we don't send 'em in!!! Gus, great genset and great story!!!!!!!!

Loren
Old 02-14-2001, 01:31:16 PM
Don C. Wiley

I concur Loren. Most folks don't understand or know too much about the "electrics" in the old generators, nor do they want to. I talked to some folks around my Delco trailer at a couple of shows this last summer and I was showing them how I could burn four 50 Watt light bulbs off of my battery and when I started my Black and Decker 32 volt drill, the generator automatically started, they said; Why I have a generator on my camper that does the same thing. I said; Yes but your's wasn't made in 1928. That's fairly high tech stuff for 1928.

Not many "non" generator folks check this site out, but there will be a lot of folks that will see Gus' genset on the cover of the GEM.

Hang in there Gus "we" may convert some people yet.

I have an interesting story about why I got into Delco Light generators. I think I'll take a little time and compose something and send it off to GEM.

"DELCO DON"