Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Lalley Light Plant

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2701 times

Old 03-25-2001, 12:37:09 PM
Larry Hendel

Default Lalley Light Plant

I have awuired a Lalley Light Plant that apears to be fairly complete. It is type H U, and has two switches one switch has CH printed on it that I take to be charge control and the other has nothing on it but appears to be ignition control as it has electric (points,condensor,coil) type ignition, Which way does it turn? Being a 2 cycle engine could go either way butwhen connect batteries tendes to want to turn reverse to the crank position that is on gen end. Any ideas, information would be much appreciated. Thanks, Larry
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2001, 07:49:19 PM
Guy (GUS) Simms

Default Re: Lalley Light Plant

The only Lally info I have is for a model F, which is evidenly different from yours. The CH switch is most likely a Cutler-Hammer charging regulator/reverse curent relay, which was popular on a lot of light plants. Some have the start and stop contacts built in. My info says the engine turns opposite a normal gas engine, that being "anti-clockwise". Chances are it is a 32 volt DC, but don't hold me to that
Old 03-27-2001, 11:31:33 PM
Don C. Wiley

Larry;

I have only seen one Lally Light plant and didn't pay much attention to it, but I just restored a "Tiny Tim" for a friend and I had taken it completely down to bare frames. When I got it all slicked up and painted and assembled it ran backwards. I discovered when I replaced the brush plate I got it 90 degrees out. When I turned it back 90 degrees It turned the right direction.

Gus probably knows more about your Lally than I do. It might just be that it runs counter clockwise.

Get the engine fixed up ready to run and crank it and if it starts and/or intakes and exhausts properly you will know which way it should turn. You might want to check to see if the spark occurs at the right time as well.

I hope we have helped you some.

"DELCO DON"
Old 03-28-2001, 02:05:49 AM
Frank Eddy

Hi Gus, I have sent some copies of a model L Lalley Light manual to Loren Erwin of Carthage, Mo. He has some info on the model HU. He is looking for a manual for the F. Maybe you can trade information with him. His e-mail is engines@ipa.net Good luck.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:53:15 AM
Larry Hendel

Thank You all for your responses. It is 32-40 volts and fires as if will run counterclock wise. I only primed as fuel system needs work. also tks Harry for the site! Larry