Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Dayton Fan

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 940 times

Old 06-02-2018, 10:02:35 PM
Registered-I

Default Dayton Fan

My shop fan has a Dayton 6K406 motor on it and last summer the rear bearing had finally failed. I have been looking on the net trying to find a rear bearing for it with not any success. thought about buying a new motor until I found out they are around just under 200 bucks. My fan is on a heavy duty roll around stand and I hated to not fix it. Everything about the motor was good except for the bearing. I am not much on yard and garage sales but the missus insisted that I go with her today. Got to keep the peace in the family so I agreed. The last garage sale had Dayton fan on a wooden stand with a 6K406 motor. I asked the owner what he wanted for the fan. He said it was burned up and if I wanted it I could have it. Got it home and checked it out and found that the inline switch in the cord was bad. Put a whole new cord on the fan and now I have my shop fan back. I am still not too fond of garage/yard sales, but now not so much.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2018, 10:55:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,592 Times in 691 Posts
Default Re: Dayton Fan

I consider most of them a waste of time too. Like you, from time to time I find unbelievably good deals, then I'll go for a spell finding nothing of interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 06-03-2018, 02:22:20 AM
Sponsor

Hmmm.....what's that old saying about dark clouds with silver linings? Nice score on the fan!
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Dawkins For This Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51:25 PM
Registered-III

Wondering why you cannot just remove the old bearing and mic it for size?

if you cannot cross the ID number on the existing bearing.

I would also replace the front bearing because they are usually the first one to wear out cue to the load.