Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

25 hp Fairbanks Morse Type N Model

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 681 times

Old 08-26-2018, 07:27:42 PM
Registered-I

Default 25 hp Fairbanks Morse Type N Model

Picked up this model from Portland last week and I am having some issues with the igniter. The model will start and run for a minute or so and then stop, if you then take your finger and trip the igniter once or twice it will then start and run like before.
Is there anyone out here that has any drawings for this model? Has anyone encounter the same situation with theirs? Do you need to run a spark saver?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBMmodel.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	317176  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,651 Times in 461 Posts
Default Re: 25 hp Fairbanks Morse Type N Model

Sounds like you are just getting carbon in the points. Clean out the cylinder and valve chamber and you will probably be good for a while.

Kelly T
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly Tytlandsvik For This Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 11:09:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,950 Times in 1,530 Posts

What type fuel are you running it on? Use some Coleman fuel and you may no longer have a problem.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:43:55 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,190 Times in 4,003 Posts

Also, use SAE 10 or thinner oil. 20 or 30 wt tends to gum things up on these engines. DO NOT over oil the igniter! Excess oil will gum them up!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:44:57 PM
Registered-I

Thank you all for your input and ideas, I will try to answer or reply to the comments the best I can
First, I do believe that I have an igniter issue, wether it is carboned up or are the points shot? This I will not know until I can inspect a little further.
Second, Tommy I am running Coleman fuel and would really like find a builder of one of the Fairbanks models to speak with.
Third, I agree with the lighter weight oils out there today for these models, all I had at Portland was heavy oil so that is what I put in, so that is that.

Thank you, Jon
Old 08-28-2018, 07:35:32 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,190 Times in 4,003 Posts

I would take the igniter off and clean uo with electrical contact cleaner. BE careful with the paint! After cleaning up, spray the working side (outside) with WD-40 for lubrication. place a white card between the points and make sure they are clean, then make sure the points are operating (closing and opening). After installation, use a 12 volt test light and a small battery to make sure they close and open at the proper time (should be in the area of 10 to 15 degrees before TDC compression) once you have that set, you should be good. what kind of coil are you using for ignition? Sure your battery is in good shape? Dry cells do not make good ignition batteries - not enough capacity for long term use.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:31:29 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfoley View Post
Picked up this model from Portland last week and I am having some issues with the igniter. The model will start and run for a minute or so and then stop, if you then take your finger and trip the igniter once or twice it will then start and run like before.
Is there anyone out here that has any drawings for this model? Has anyone encounter the same situation with theirs? Do you need to run a spark saver?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you Jon
Other posters have some good suggestions. Another thing to consider is the coil and battery combination you are using. Too much current through the ignitor can oxidize the contacts depending on what material they are made of. For instance a "car coil" is a really bad choice. A current draw of one to three amps is a reasonable target. With a good coil, you'll get a fat, snappy spark without undue wear and tear on the contacts.