Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Ready To Run (Maybe...) Chinese Model Hit & Miss engine

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1604 times

Old 09-14-2018, 01:22:01 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ready To Run (Maybe...) Chinese Model Hit & Miss engine

I also bought one of these Chinese knockoffs of the Kerzel design model engine. I thought it was missing the pushrod too but I found it loose in the box. It is 5.5cm in length and has a rounded tip on one end.

Iím actually impressed by its construction. It is a very good looking CNC machined assembly constructed mostly of anodized aluminum. It has a steel cylinder liner, roller crankshaft bearings (a bit rough), and what I think are heavy stainless steel rims on the flywheels.

I run mine on Coleman fuel with some 2 cycle oil mixed in. I can adjust the height of the fuel tank mounted in a hole in the base to get the optimal fuel pressure. I added a check valve to reduce double sucking with mixed results. I also added a cylinder oiler and crank throw grease cup. I havenít hooked up the little generator in the pic yet.

For such a small model it (eventually) runs pretty good. It came with a nice small ignition module but it stopped working after a couple of hours operation. Banggood would not send me a replacement so I had to build my own.

Its a great price for a fully machined and assembled model h&m engine. I could have built the Kerzel design with the very good instructions he has made available. And there are other model engines that I lust after, like a 1/4 scale Rider Ericsson. I have the equipment and basic skills but lack the patience required to see a model project all the way through to completion. So I wonder why someone canít send off a bunch of casting kits to China and have them machine up all the parts real cheap. This little engine shows they now have the expertise and quality control to do a decent job. Maybe its only a matter of time before we see some larger models from China.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ch2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	318746   Click image for larger version

Name:	ch1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	318747  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boris For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 09:07:23 AM
Registered

For such a small model it (eventually) runs pretty good.
.[/QUOTE]

Hi all, first post. So glad I found this forum! New to H&M but have always loved these engines. I live in Indiana and have been going to the big show in Portland for several years. Planning to get a full size engine this spring or maybe next fall.

So I too ordered the Chinese H&M. Itís very hard to start. Iíve watched the YouTube vids and those start with a couple of flips of the flywheel. Itís run about 5 times for maybe a minute each time. Iíve even tried either and it doesnít seem to help. Itís got a healthy spark and Iíve got the bottom of the fuel tank about even with the carb. The needle valve is adjusted close enough for it to run once I get it started. Any suggestions or tips? Iím afraid Iím on the verge of getting some sort of ďflywheel flipper elbowĒ.
Thanks, Gunther
Old 10-28-2018, 03:21:57 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman, Jr. View Post
Found this little engine while searching one of my favorite Chinese sellers.
If you read the reviews, it seems that sometimes they don't remember to include all the parts.
But, for $220 US dollars, it looks pretty good.

https://www.banggood.com/Full-Metal-...r_warehouse=CN
One of my friends has one of these engines. It is a great little runner and starts easily.
He told me he wants to take it to a rally. He has a big covered in trailer. Just for a laugh he will back up to his site drop down the ramp and unload it with the winch. he should get a few comments.

Merv
Old 10-30-2018, 11:53:48 AM
Registered

Update for anyone else that might happen across this subject looking for hints and tips for getting their Chinese Hit and Miss engine going.
Mine starts and runs good now. I was flooding it badly, fowling the spark plug. I did two things. I moved the gas tank down so the bottom of the tank is about 2” below the carb inlet and after reading Kerzels plans and info I switched from Coleman fuel with 2 cycle oil to Coleman fuel mixed with WD40. The WD40 provides some piston lube but seems to keep the plug much cleaner. Now I prime it by putting a finger over the carb and giving it a good flip. Usually starts with just a flip or too after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeeZee For This Post: