Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Any one recognise this generator?

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 12790 times

Old 08-28-2005, 11:09:31 PM
Registered-I

Default Any one recognise this generator?

I cant seem to figure out who made this generator. It has a tecumseh hm801552 88h engine serrial #60340. on the plate it says mod. m4000a se 88186 m86 on the generator in stamped large letters about 1/2" size reads ED54173. It is orange but it looks as if original color was red.
Thanks,
Tim

Heres the pics, It took me a few trys to figure it out sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2029s.JPG
Views:	791
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	3526   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2030s.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	3527  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2005, 12:14:02 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,596 Times in 4,249 Posts
Exclamation Re: Any one recognise this generator?

Not sure about the numbers, but the color says Generac
Andrew
Old 08-29-2005, 12:18:05 AM
MarcLucy

Cool Re: Any one recognise this generator?

Generac with a thecumse engine
Old 08-29-2005, 05:25:36 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Any one recognise this generator?

It kind of resembles an old Winco design. I think they used to mount the output receptacles in the generator end bell housing on some models. Winco's signature color used to be dark metallic blue, but they may have done some red units also.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:36:04 PM
Registered-I

Aloha and Mahalo, for the input it had a carb problem, fixed that started up , only 23 volts, figured out one of the brushes was stuck inside the holder, fixed that then while reassembling a hornet bit me right on the nipple ,ouch and the shock made me break two brushes ill post a couple more pics and see if this helps Im in need of brushes,. Also what is the litte rond thing next to the brush holder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brus.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	3534   Click image for larger version

Name:	brush s.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	3535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2047s.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	3536   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2036s.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	3537  
Old 08-29-2005, 07:42:08 PM
Registered-I

Steve you are the Winner, this is the email i just received from techumesh....
"The engine you listed was made for a company named Winco which is located in Le Center, MN. The phone number we have on file for them is (612) 357-6021. Hope this helps. " now lets see if any one has parts....
Old 08-29-2005, 10:01:16 PM
Registered-III

We've got a set just like that. The boss bought it in 1984 from a magazine ad. This set was painted red and the nameplate said "Fairbanks Wards." I don't know if this was a knockoff of the name "Fairbanks Morse" or what. It wasn't sold by Montgomery Wards, either. The gen end is a Winco.

The little round device to the right of the brushholders in your picture is a bridge rectifier. This is used to provide excitation current. The bigger cylinderical device to the left of the brushholder is a capacitor, for (electrical) noise suppression.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:41:47 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,058 Posts

With the three brushes, this generator is what I call a backwards/ upsidedown unit. Some generator pull the main load ( 120/240 volts ) from the stator and the field is the rotating part ( the rotor ). On this unit the stator is the feild and the 120/ 240 volts come from the rotor.

Kent
Old 08-30-2005, 08:24:41 PM
Registered-I

Thank you all for the information, I have emailed winco with no reply yet, i did read an interesting thing at there web site about exciting the magnitizem with a 9vt battery, ive done it before with a car batt. because some one told me to and it worked. untill a coulple months ago, I didnt even know what that was. I will paste a copy to the forum if any one is interested . Ifany one knows where to buy brushes please let me know.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:15:39 PM
Registered-III

Some of the better stocked hardware stores (such as ACE)have brushes. They are usually found as an assortment in a pull-out drawer at the back of the store along with the various oddball fasteners and fittings. Otherwise you could try an auto parts store or shop that rebuilds auto starters and alternators. If you have to give "year, make, model" as for alternator brushes for a 1970's era GM car. You might have to file and trim the GM brushes but they should be close.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36:58 PM
Sponsor

Take the good brush to a motor rewind shop or an electric power tool repair shop. They might be able to match it up or fabricate new ones for you. If Winco contacts you, they may be able to direct you to one of their distributors/dealers for parts. I spoke with them recently about a Winco generator that one of our customers purchased for a home standby unit. I think that I might have a phone # or e-mail address at the office for someone in tech support. Let me know if you want it, and I'll send it to you via personal message.

Sorry to hear about the hornet sting. Sounds pretty darned painful!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37:04 PM
Subscriber

Hello, I have a winco 4PTH 3m/J10 that looks identical to that and it is powered by a TEC HM 80. Winco service dept can be reached at 507 357 6821. They are helpful ( in my search for brushes the service guy told me that the brushes will outlast 2 engines ) but have yet to fax me wiring diagrams for a much older model. Parts for the newer model (1984 or so) model are still available . Good Luck, Clyde
Old 09-02-2005, 09:34:53 PM
Registered-II

Another place to get brushes from is helwig, I beleive their websight is
www.helwigcp.com

I too have a generator that looks almost identical to your unit. Same techumseh engine, muffler, plastic fuel tank, carb/air filter and gen. I bought mine from COMB (the liquidator place) back in the mid 80's. Mine has a white sticker with red lettering on it that says Fairbanks Ward. The generator / engine is still painted it's original red color.

They (COMB) had a showroom in Davenport, IA and at the time they had several units to choose from. I looked over their selection and chose one with the long oil fill / dipstick to put oil in the engine as well as electric start. All the 4000 watt units were priced the same. The start button is similar to the old foot operated dimmer switch (why did they ever do away with those, I hate having the dimmer switch, windshield wiper/washer, cruise control, etc all on the turn signal lever) with really heavy contacts. Starting battery charging is regulated by a resistor and nothing else.

Mine has the 3 slip rings and each are double brushed (in parallell, two brushes on each slip ring) as well as a segmented commutator with 2 brushes. Mine is a 3600 r.p.m. unit and is pretty loud, the muffler is basically a tin can with no baffles in it. It has 2 field poles 180 degrees apart and the stator (as mentioned earlier) is the part that spins.

The reason I bought the one with electric start, I know how hard and stubborn air cooled engines can be to start in cold weather and I bought the generator mainly to run the furnace in the winter if the power ever went out for an extended period of time from an ice storm or the like. Thankfully I haven't had to use it for that purpose.

At the COMB liquidator place they had the 4000 watt unit like yours and mine, as well as some 8000 watt units, all with the Fairbanks Ward tag on them. I chose a 4000 watt unit as I couldn't pick up one of the 8000 watt units. Also price was a factor. Mine still has the price tag on it, as I"m at work right know and don't remember the exact price, I do know it was around the $450 dollar range.

I run mine every now an then to make sure it will work when I need it. Have been doing some google searches and have stumbled on a web sight that has a quieter muffler for the techumseh engine, again as I"m at work (after work) and didn't have the spec numbers for my engine, so I don't know if the quieter muffler will bolt up to my engine.

Good luck on getting your generator running, with mine I also made up an interface box with amp meters and 15 amp circuit breakers on it as the generator has no self contained privisions for such protection or monitoring.

The 220 plug that is on my generator has the common (ground) hooked to one slip ring and the two flat prongs are each connected to the other two slip rings. That is where I plug the interface box into. There is also a lug to attach an earth ground as well as the battery connection.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianTim View Post
Heres the pics, It took me a few trys to figure it out sorry
Hello fellow piston collectors
I have this exact genny mine is all red with a black tank can anyone figure out the date it may have been made from this "HM-80 155288H " is on the motor , on the business end the only code I can find is a small stamped set reading "66676" ,

My brother calls it "Satan's Generator" being all red red and all then finding those numbers he was taken back "I told you it was EVIL!!! Get rid of it"!! he said LOL
Also Tim what did that beautiful looking intake carb and filter cost ya if you do not mid me asking that is?
Thanks
Richie
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58:26 PM
Registered

I will post the numbers on the genny part later i didnt notice them till after these were taken
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21:24 PM
Registered-III

I did not read all of this thread, but if you don't have a service manual for that 8 HP tecumseh you might try this link of google search asnd download a FREE L head service manual.

http://www.smallenginesurplus.com/se...-reference.pdf
I review tecumseh /peerless parts and review illustrated parts diagrams at m&dmower.com

Several parts are still available for that engine on ebay and at m&d, but the crankshaft is hard to find because it's most likly the tapered output type.

seems little strange that they have a 8hp engine on a 1KW gen when a 5hp would have been ok. I have a similiar 1.6kw unit with a 5hp tecumseh engine. those gen's were consertavely rated. Mine will do full 1500 out with no problems. Mine is not the uoside though, it's output is on the stator windings instead of the brushs.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14:02 PM
Registered

I was under the impresion this was a 4K watt genny same as the orange one above and the other red one
I saw on here that was a 4k? How did you figure out it is a 1k? I'm curious I'm not saying it isn't a 1k It may very well be however the other two with the exact numbers are 4k I just cant find the year it was made!

p.s. THANKS FOR THE SURPLUS PAGE ON THE Tecumseh!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23:23 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpa View Post
I was under the impresion this was a 4K watt genny same as the orange one above and the other red one
I saw on here that was a 4k? How did you figure out it is a 1k? I'm curious I'm not saying it isn't a 1k It may very well be however the other two with the exact numbers are 4k I just cant find the year it was made!

p.s. THANKS FOR THE SURPLUS PAGE ON THE Tecumseh!
You are correct about it being a 4KW at 240v @ 16.6 amps. I just glanced at the nametag in pic 3 at pst #4 and mistook the first digit 4 for a 1 due to the mutilated first digit.

That explains why its a 8hp engine for the 4kw gen.

When that gen unit was built the gen was actually built for a full 4kw whereas most nowdays are intermittent duty rated and not built as good!

I've converted those 5 to 10 hp tecumseh generator engines to 12v elec start for less than $100 using used parts from ebay. Kinda surprising that it usually takes a group 24 battery to crank the 8-10hp when the engine is cold.
This link will give a few hints for such.
http://perr.com/tip18.html
Make sure the tecumseh engine block is drilled and tapped for a starter. (It has raised threaded bosses and the air cowling will have to be relieved at the bendix starter area usually if it's not a cowling for a starter.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:24:38 PM
Registered

I too have one of these Fairbanks Ward generators. The model number is: 4PTH-3E/L39. In addition to the ability to run on gasoline, it has a regulator similar to one used on a propane or natural gas system that is connected to the intake manifold. How do I determine which gas is to be used. I did notice that there was a slight difference in the model number from the one mentioned above, mainly L39 instead of L9.

Thank you
Old 08-02-2017, 10:51:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

There isn't really a lot of difference once you get the supply pressure down to whatever the regulator can handle. Will need to do some adjusting to get either one dialed in.

Probably should advance the timing for LP gas to save the exhaust valves. If you run dual fuel with gasoline you cannot do that though and they will still run.

Do you have any pictures of the regulator and other components of the fuel system?