Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

won't run right...troubleshoot

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1278 times

Old 05-24-2004, 01:37:50 PM
Jeb Lloyd

Default won't run right...troubleshoot

Hey again; I'm still trying to troubleshoot my Taylor. I think I may have finally gotten the engine timed right as per the manual specifications and the mag is generating a good hot spark and will jump a 1/4" gap no problem. However, my engine is harder than ever to start and is generating excessive carbon build up on the plug from running rich. If I try to lean it out, it dies on me. I'm thinking about taking the mixer apart and checking it for any blockages. Any other suggestions? It will run for about 30 seconds and die. I put in a new condensor and new rings so spark and compression shouldn't be a problem. I have also timed the exhaust valve as per the manual and made a new fuel line. When I try to start it, i do see gas coming out of the air inlet at the bottom of the mixer, so it's getting gas to the mixer. Is there anything internal I need to check?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2004, 03:57:51 PM
Andrew Mackey

Default Re: won't run right...troubleshoot

sounds like its flooding - does the fuel line go up to the level of the mixer, or does it loop back down? If it loops, it may be syphoning the fuel line to the high point, temporarily flooding the engine every time it coasts. If you lean it out, there is not enough fuel for the next power stroke. If the fuel line is not looped - check condition of the fuel adjuster needle - it should not be pitted and or bent. Also - check oiler - no more than 5 - 8 drops per minute, make sure vacuum section is operating. If it isn't, the oil will build up between the cylenders. Andrew
Old 05-24-2004, 06:02:17 PM
Jeb Lloyd

Well, the manual says to adjust for about 15 drops per minute and I think i'm just under that right now. Since the piston is two different diameters, the oiler really only lubes the vacume pump portion of the piston (larger diameter) and doesn't really get to the smaller dia drive piston. The fuel line comes from the tank in the base and goes out, and upward to the mixer. I put a loop in the line when I made a new line to act as a trap and keep it from running dry, but the end of the line is still a good inch or so above the loop. The vacume pump valve assembly is working fine.

I have a gut feeling that the too rich mixture is carbon fouling my plug and the fouled plug is keeping it from running right. But with a good hot spark, a new plug, new rings, new fuel line, and what I'm assuming is proper spark timing, what else is there? This is driving me nuts! I double checked the cam gear and it is properly oriented with the line-up marks. Are there any diagnosis proceedures that I could try to eliminate this or that? Thanks for the help.

Jeb
Old 05-24-2004, 06:46:37 PM
Tom Gosciminski

Hi Jeb, Have you checked the muffler axd ex. port for restrictions.?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:57:37 AM
Dave Showerman

Jeb, You said something about new rings. Is the compression in fact where it should be? Carburation is also affected by all those elements that provide good compression. Maybe all it needs is more running. Just my thought. I'm watching this thread to learn the answer. Keep us posted. Dave in Holt.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:48:33 AM
edurand

Did anybody mention checking out that pesky check valve?

If it's leaking, gummed up or missing, the engine can be started but, in the coasting cycle, fuel runs back to the tank making it necessary to really open up the mixture needle so it can suck the fuel back fast enough to not quit.

Free advice is worth whatcha pay for it.

Take care - Elden
Old 05-27-2004, 12:00:54 PM
Jeb Lloyd

I remember opening it up to see what it was because I had never seen anything like that before. I do believe that it was free but leakage I had not considered. I'll double check it this afternoon as well as taking apart and cleaning the mixer.