Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Construction Equipment Graders, Shovels, Dozers & Crawlers, Pay loaders & Fork lifts

Vintage Construction Equipment

Old Buda Forklift

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 302 times

Old 08-19-2019, 08:14:47 PM
Registered

Default Old Buda Forklift

Hello out there, I have an old Buda Forklift with a flathead four. Iím having trouble finding information about this old gem. It has one info plate riveted to the body that information is as fallows.
FB. 20 24. 10683056. 12 12 02. 52455. Iíve been told itís a Continental engine. Iím looking specifically for a firing order. But any information on it would be much appreciated. The distributor rotor rotates counter clock wise. This my first time posting anywhere hop I got it rite. Thanks Gerrit
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2019, 08:55:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Old Buda Forklift

There are only 2 firing orders for 4 cylinder engines. They are 1 2 4 3 or 1 3 4 2. Can you find # 1 cylinder and turn it with the plugs out till it is at top dead center. Then see where the rotor is pointing. A half turn later the rotor should be pointing at #3. The next half turn will be #4. Questions send me a private e-mail. Continental's fire 1 3 4 -2.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:15:20 PM
Registered

Thank You John for your reply. I have tried twice to post a reply. As I said before Iím new at this. I set the plug wires at the firing order you suggested 1342. But it still will not start. I have a weak spark now I canít figure why. I have replaced the points, condenser,cap,rotor, coil,plug wires and the plugs are fairly new. Itís gotta be something Iím doing wrong. I tapped the points at 20 thousands. I made sure the points are not grounding on the housing. I pulled the number one plug put my finger in the hole and turned it over till I felt compression push past my finger and the rotor is at number one possession. I have the hot wire from the ignition switch to the resistor from the resistor to the positive side of the coil then to the distributor then tested for voltage. 12 volts to the resistor around 7 volts to the coil. I put a spark plug in the coil wire and it seems to be a strong spark but the spark at the spark plugs seems weak. Itís such a simple ignition system Iím stumped. All my old Flat Head friends are gone now and there not helpin out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If you would like to email me my email is gerritroze@ yahoo.com. Thank you again, Gerrit
Old 08-27-2019, 09:18:46 PM
Registered

Hi John. I ran a wire from the negative side of the coil to the post on the distributor.
Forgot to add that to the last post.
Cheers Gerrit
Old 08-28-2019, 12:29:25 AM
Subscriber

Make sure your spark plug wires are really wire and not the carbon stuff commonly used in newer applications. The new type wire can cause trouble in older systems.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:30:04 AM
Registered

Thank You Gene. Iíll check the plug wires tomorrow.
Cheers, Gerrit