Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Motorcycles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Motorcycles All about finding and fixing old motorcycle engines and vintage bikes.

Antique Motorcycles

Smith Motor Wheel

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1615 times

Old 02-12-2016, 08:58:47 AM
Registered-II

Default Smith Motor Wheel

I'm rebuilding a SMW ,rebored the cylinder and made a new piston to suit ,made new rings ,two compression and one oil scraper. I made a new inlet valve cage and valve [ atmospheric valve] and fitted a suitable compression spring. Put it all back together and set it up with an electric motor to run it in . After an hour or so still no compression ,checked everything ran it again ,no compression ........I had a think about this and I reckon that the inlet valve spring [ atmospheric] is too strong . The valve is not opening enough and I am running a partial vacuum ,hence no compression ....am I correct. there is one way to find out but I've not got around to changing to a much weaker spring yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2016, 09:38:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,608 Posts
Default Re: Smith Motor Wheel

You will definitely have a lack of compression if the intake valve will not allow air in. Can't have compression if there's no air to compress. Some air compressors unload the compressor this way by not allowing any air to be taken in.

You can check your engine out by simply removing the spark plug and turning the engine over until the piston is at BDC between the intake and compression strokes. Put the plug back in and turn the engine over. If everything is ok and there are no leaks, there will be compression as soon as the piston starts to go up the bore. If your intake valve spring is too stiff, there won't be any compression after that. The intake valve should also be making a snorting or rattling noise if it is working properly.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post: