Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Motorcycles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Motorcycles All about finding and fixing old motorcycle engines and vintage bikes.

Antique Motorcycles

Working on this neat little bike

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2567 times

Old 08-07-2016, 08:37:34 PM
Registered-II

Default Working on this neat little bike

I am working on this little homemade machine for a friend who wants to see it running again but doesn't have time to work on it (He has quite a collection) I am working on the carb currently needing to dig into it to free some sticky parts from 20 years of slumber that being said I am having a dickens of a time trying to figure out what kind of tires to put on it!! As the photos show it has kind of a board track racer look so I found some Bell white walls that have that old school look then I began thinking since it will be running on gravel sand and grass maybe I should look for something old school but more rugged looking then I found these though they are for schwinn's and this is a Wards it has that look. So....thoughts? Who knew picking out tires would be this hard! Friend isn't too picky but my OCD is in gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-20-2014 070.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	259837   Click image for larger version

Name:	a5e1b4ce-c9ea-4518-bfd3-6d1cb4aa7dcd_1.b89400b9f66500f0c6a82f682276610a.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	259838   Click image for larger version

Name:	71RGoEEgxcL._SL1264_.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	259839  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SteamfanMN For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2016, 09:20:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,424 Posts
Default Re: Working on this neat little bike

That thing looks pretty cool... Is that a Briggs WM? Hmmmm, I've got one of those..... And it has the same little fuel tank mounted next to it..... Hmmmm.....

Not sure about the tires. Personally I like the white walls. Don't know what they might have used in schools back then. If that is a WM, I wouldn't imagine that it would do too much offroading. Think they're something like 1/2 or 3/4 hp... Would be cool for cruising around on pavement or hard pack trails though.

Keith
Old 08-07-2016, 09:39:05 PM
Registered-II

It's actually a I not really much more power but at least the throttle can be used, it won't be used for any offroading as I am afraid to wipe out trying that.

Mostly gravel some sand and grass at low speeds for grounds cruising. I like your thinking though I got a few of each sitting out back that could be fun
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12:37 AM
Registered-II

Check out this site , if you haven't already , lot's of info and help there , I'm sure someone would have good advice on tire style and search the pic's . love the look of that bike .
http://thecabe.com/forum/
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveHC For This Post:
Old 08-08-2016, 09:50:32 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,191 Times in 4,003 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Working on this neat little bike

From the looks of the reductions, it's not a speeder. It probably will mope along as a nice transport though. I rode a bike off road, with a REO 404, and although it ran and rode well, I couldn't keep tires on it. Grass and smooth trails OK, but gravel??? I would take turns VERY slowly on gravel! What does it use for a clutch?

Your little B&S probably turns around 1800 RPM tops, and probably will be comfortable at around 1200, so the bike will not go that fast. The reductions should make it a hill climber though! I would go for the most robust tire you can get. If the white walls are of heavy construction, go for them. If you can get a heavier tire (thicker, more robust sidewalls and good traction surface), then go for them. The better the tire, the better the chances of getting home if you happen to hit a big root or stone in your path without getting a flat.

Have fun!
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,273 Posts

Aah memories! When I was about 14 I put a Clinton A490 2 stroker in a 20 inch bike and zoomed around the neighborhood. Man was I cool. Wanting more speed I laced a 3 speed hub into it and it went about 35. Brakes were however pretty poor and I burned up a few sets of pads. After the cops brought me and it home in the squad a couple times, dad made me take it apart.

Speaking of brakes, does this bike have them?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:14:52 PM
Registered-II

Haha I love these home made bike ideas!

As far as a clutch there is only a lever you push forward to engage the belt and I believe it has a two maybe three speed hub never got far enough into running it to figure things out and the owner has kind of spaced out the features. The foot pedal runs to the rear wheel and the lever sits right by the ahem "family jewels" not a good spot should you stop fast

As far as brakes, hope you have good soles on your shoes! I don't see any kind of indicator there was ever brakes either. My friend has a whizzer maybe we could have a little "race" when I see what it can do

need to figure out a air cleaner though as this doesn't have anything attached was thinking maybe something basic that has a set screw like a Maytag would or just some foam something to catch the dust.

I am excited to get it ripping again, me excited to get my doodlebug (a new cheaply made one) repowered with my ZZP Briggs and modify the frame to make it a putt putt car.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:07:45 PM
Subscriber

How do I delete thumbnails so I can post them where they are supposed to be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaaaaaaa 088.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	261102   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaaaaaaa 089.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	261103   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaaaaaaa 090.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	261104  

Last edited by John Hamilton; 08-24-2016 at 03:16:24 PM. Reason: should be a new thread. want to close and move pix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Hamilton For This Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 06:02:15 PM
Registered-II

That is so neat- So cool - So nifty ED
Old 09-04-2016, 08:41:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamfanMN View Post
Haha I love these home made bike ideas!

As far as a clutch there is only a lever you push forward to engage the belt and I believe it has a two maybe three speed hub never got far enough into running it to figure things out and the owner has kind of spaced out the features. The foot pedal runs to the rear wheel and the lever sits right by the ahem "family jewels" not a good spot should you stop fast

As far as brakes, hope you have good soles on your shoes! I don't see any kind of indicator there was ever brakes either. My friend has a whizzer maybe we could have a little "race" when I see what it can do

need to figure out a air cleaner though as this doesn't have anything attached was thinking maybe something basic that has a set screw like a Maytag would or just some foam something to catch the dust.

I am excited to get it ripping again, me excited to get my doodlebug (a new cheaply made one) repowered with my ZZP Briggs and modify the frame to make it a putt putt car.
Think you can climb the hill on Co 24 headed East out of town toward #3?

Jeff