Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Motorcycles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Motorcycles All about finding and fixing old motorcycle engines and vintage bikes.

Antique Motorcycles

1962 Harley-Davidson Panhead

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 1760 times

Old 02-10-2018, 10:31:48 PM
Registered-I

Default 1962 Harley-Davidson Panhead

Hello all,
As hard as I tried to outrun it, a 1962 Panhead followed me home today. I'm already into old bikes. I own a 1944 WLA so I know a few people in the old bike world. One of my antique bike buddies (who is a bit of an antique himself) has a couple of Indians also has his dad's '62 Panhead and since I'm also a '62 we've joked over the years about my birth year bike. Our discussions have turned more serious recently and today I went to his house just to look at the bike (which I've not seen in years) and chat a bit about things. He made me an offer which I couldn't refuse so I loaded a pickup load of spare parts and went back home to get my trailer. I had no intention of buying the bike today but the time turned out to be right for both of us. It was a Daytona Beach PD bike that his dad bought sometime in the 60's. At some point Pop converted it from hand shift to foot shift, boosted the compression and converted to 12V so he could add a starter. Fortunately he saved all the parts. It got ridden very little until Pop died and my friend brought it down to NC from MD. It was last on the road in 2013. I intend to convert the hardware back to 1962ish and ride it unrestored. Does anyone have any good advice on repair/maintenance of the Panhead?
Thanks,
Kevin in NC
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bartlett0815 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2018, 10:53:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,487 Posts
Default Re: 1962 Panhead

I was riding a 58 Duoglide before I was born.Literally in moma's belly.
To this day when my dad cranks it and it sits there idling with the timing retarded a bit,it about lulls me to sleep. At 84 he is having a issue kicking but still can crank it if it doesn't flood.
It to was a police bike until my dad got it in 1964.
The hand-shift is on the opposite side from a Indian.post a pic when you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 12:38:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,500 Posts
Default Re: 1962 Panhead

I have had my 59 pan since '86 and I am a '62 model myself.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:45:42 AM
Administrator

Thanked 11,700 Times in 2,024 Posts
Default Re: 1962 Harley-Davidson Panhead

For us under-educated folks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley...Panhead_engine
Old 02-11-2018, 02:56:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,234 Times in 2,114 Posts

At 15 dad wouldn't let me have a bike. I later found out that this was based on his first and only ride in 1936 on a friend's new knucklehead. So the story goes he endoed it into a corn field on the west side of Dubuque.

But, nothing was said if a trans case, a wheel, a frame and so on came home based on my meager earnings from after school $1/hour jobs. After a couple years of scrounging, a panhead chopper left the garage under it's own power. I wanted it low and it had a '46 knuckle fame and as a Harley purist knows, a pan won't fit in a knuck frame as the top end is a bit too tall. But putting a jack in between the lower rails and the backbone then heating the seat post joint until the braze joint softens allows you to lift it 1/4 inch to swedge the pan in. Oyeah I was hell on wheels burning off $5 used tires with hair below my shoulders.

It all came to a rationalized halt a couple years later. After riding it all day (prolly a whoppin 200 miles) , one night I was heading home and I actually got off it and walked that torture rack across a set of railroad tracks. A couple weeks later I sold it. edit: Well so much for the KC plant. I know three engineers there that will be out of a job.

I bought a Honda. What a revelation. Starts on one kick, doesn't leak and doesn't leave ya stranded. I never looked back at that primitive junk called Harley. Yeah, Harley has been good to me as I put a couple million dollars of equipment in Milw, York ,and KC.

After 640,000 miles of riding bikes periodically I get nostalgic and ride a Harley. And it quickly hits me. They're still the same primitive crap I once walked across a set of tracks.

Last edited by I like oldstuff; 02-11-2018 at 03:29:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:13:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,487 Posts

There are motorcycles, and there are "bikes". A big difference!
My dad built his first harley at 14 out of peach baskets and has rode them every since. He is 84 now and when he hit 65 he bought a small Yamaha. he says it is far easier to ride at his age.
But it sounds like a moped with a tater in the tail pipe.
I can't ride a 2 wheeled object,I don't have the balance for it.But if I ever do get to put a trike kit on my dad's 69 Electroglyde I am going to ride the wheels off it.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 12:26:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,500 Posts

tater in the tailpipe...ugly that is so funny and true!
I been calling I like oldstuff, I really like newstuff for a long time now and he knows it.
Hey oldstuff how bout posting that pick of you wearing your raybans sitting on your chop in Moms garage?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:42:13 PM
Administrator

Thanked 11,700 Times in 2,024 Posts

My only contact with motorcycles was that my older brother had two Harleys in the late '40s and early '50s. The first one was a black 1945 (knucklehead?), one of the first civilian models after WWII. That one was wrecked by my #2 brother because it had a habit of front wheel shimmy and he took the trip up and over the handlebar and on down the road surface. When he got home, he looked like a bulldog came after his ass and his leather billfold had saved him from deeper wounds. All that gave me respect for being careful on two wheels. The '45 was traded in on a blue 1951 (panhead?) model and that one became my older brother's prime mode of transportation until he was drafted and ultimately got married, a life changing event. Later on in the '60s I had a nice drive on a friend's rice machine and I liked it, but my wife ruled the roost - no motorcycles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClarenceAgnes.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	302998  
Old 02-11-2018, 12:57:26 PM
Subscriber

Well she's hard to get started always so cold. In the mornings I find her she's looking so old. So many miles we been down that road once or twice. She's not much to look at when we ride through town, but I know when the chips fall she won't let me down. She's a high flying lady takes me where I want to be. There's no other woman standing between her and me. I'll always be faithful I'll keep her till the end of time. God knows I'll always love that old panhead of mine.
DAC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt L For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:26:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,507 Posts

I could say I have a '48 Harley Davidson with a '55 Pan Head motor, but I would be kinda lying.........
What I have is a kit I bought (through Ebay, actually) that in the end, makes the above mentioned bike. There is only one part on that is genuine Harley Davidson - The gas tank emblems (does that count as 2?). The engine is a brand new S&S motor that has the oiling system improvements that make it like the '55 version. The bike is currently about 90% finished, but I have not been able to find / afford the correct gas tanks for it. The ones that came with it are too modern to be from a '48. If I could acquire the tanks I want, I could get the fenders painted at the same time as the tanks and wrap it all up.
I currently have 2 new in box unpainted sets of Fat Bob tanks. One has bayonet caps and the other screw caps. Would gladly trade both sets for the 'right' ones.
Its been covered with a tarp for a long time now... Really need to think about finishing it up this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan Head 01.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	302970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan Head 02.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	302971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan Head 03.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	302972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan Head 04.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	302973  

I Can Probably Fix That

Last edited by John Newman, Jr.; 02-11-2018 at 08:58:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman, Jr. For This Post: