Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

New Book on Steam Engine Indicators. Free on The Internet!

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1762 times

Old 01-14-2009, 11:49:38 PM
Registered-III

Default New Book on Steam Engine Indicators. Free on The Internet!

My friend John Walter of England is completing his latest book, The Engine Indicator, and has uploaded most of the chapters to allow free access to information as ‘work in progress.’ The book is published by the Canadian Museum of Making of Calgary, Alberta.

If you have any interest in the history of steam engine indicators, or if you simply enjoy fine historical engineering instruments, you will appreciate this book. The book is easy to read and is generously illustrated. (Some of the photos are of indicators in my collection.) Many of the photos are of extremely rare instruments that you may never see anywhere else.

John’s has spent years researching the history of these instruments. This book includes information on almost every manufacturer of steam engine indicators from 1796, when they were invented, to the present time. (Engine indicators are still being manufactured by at least one European company.)

The book can be found at:

http://www.archivingindustry.com/Ind...ontentback.htm

Click on “More Information” and then select the chapter desired. The Preface is not yet available.

Sincerely,

Bruce E. Babcock
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41:00 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: New Book on Steam Engine Indicators. Free on The Internet!

Interesting story about the Steam Indicators, and the Museum of Making appears to have a very good collection. It doesn't appear to be a public museum though.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:48:02 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: New Book on Steam Engine Indicators. Free on The Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanscoot View Post
... the Museum of Making appears to have a very good collection. It doesn't appear to be a public museum though.
While the museum is not public, Ian MacGregor tells me that he is happy to arrange tours for interested people, and that if any one is traveling to Calgary he can always make time to show them around.

I experienced Mr. MacGregor's hospitality last year, and I found his museum to be outstanding. In addition to his vast collection of steam engine indicators, I was fascinated by the large number of antique machine tools, the large steam engine from a British textile mill, a few amazing old cars, a whole gallery of ancient African metal artifacts, his 65 HP Case traction engine, and more. All of the displays are comparable to what you would find in the Smithsonian or in the Science Museum in London. In addition, Ian is a gracious host.

I will also mention that the museum, which is two stories tall, is in the basement of his cottage. You have to see it to believe it.

Sincerely,

Bruce E. Babcock