Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Help Me Identify this Air Compressor

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1222 times

Old 04-24-2018, 10:22:25 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Help Me Identify this Air Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Sears Craftsman paint sprayer. See pix I just took.
60 PSI means just that! Shortly out of warranty, had pressure switch contacts stick. Relief was factory set around 75- 80 PSI, and crankshaft broke just where yours did second time it hit relief. Sears gave me new pressure switch contacts, crankshaft with rods attached, gaskets. I was to do work myself.

Original 3/4 HP motor had trouble starting compressor. Unloader is on bottom of pressure switch, and just unloads head and tube to pressure switch. Motor would turn a bit, and them be working against tank pressure. It would stay on start winding a long time, pulling huge amps, hence welded pressure switch contacts. I changed motor to 1 1/2 and oil to Mobil 1. No issues.

Have painted a few houses, run air tools on it. I spoke to a Sears engineer, who told me design was 65 PSI. over that, excessive torsion on crankshaft would cause failure.
I remember those compressors well. My father in law sold tools for Sears for 32 years before retiring. They had a stack of them in back when they actually used to repair their equipment with a guy whom worked in the service center. They repaired tools, appliances, and a lot of things sold through the store and returned. After repair they were sold at a discount. Were a lot of those compressors around when I was a kid but haven't seen one in ages now.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2018, 11:37:22 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,664 Posts

We got it by chance. Originally purchased a 2 cyl model with same size tank capable of 150 PSI. The grid was not very robust back then, and when it ran, it made lights in neighborhood blink in time with compressor.

After it ran a while, we had a bunch of angry neighbors over, telling us to shut it off, and never run it again.

We took it back to Sears, and they suggested this 4 cyl lower pressure unit.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,010 Times in 1,554 Posts

Petenpole,
If you are wanting in a parts unit, here is the one I have available.
P.M. me if interested.
Couple of broken fins on the head. I think a few of the rings are broken, too. No pulley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CH 4 Compressor 01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	309769   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH 4 Compressor 02.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	309770  

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 05-05-2018, 12:40:03 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,664 Posts

John, you amaze me. Seems like almost anything someone needs, you have at least one!