Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Ram Wood Planer

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 1199 times

Old 06-10-2018, 05:38:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,114 Times in 2,086 Posts
Default Ram Wood Planer

I'm calling on the collective brain trust with knowledge of the workings and hopefully a manual for a Taiwan made planer.

The back story:
A friend has a Ram Machinery 15 inch planer that needs the blades sharpened.
I have a guy that does sharpening so I offered to visit and take the blades out.
He got the blades out and I had them sharpened for a reasonable price. Today I went over and Put the blades in. Aah yeah but what height are they set at. As he doesn't have a manual I set them at .010 above the roller height.

But it seems he took the chip deflector apart to get the blades out and now the anti kickback fingers won't work. Fortunately I checked them before testing a board in it. We can't figure out how to get them to actuate correctly after three hours of tinkering.

Anyone have or can recommend finding a manual for this thing?

Ram Machiney
Model 102 15 inch auto planer
Mfg date 1986.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2018, 05:27:18 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ram Wood planer

I don't know that make of planer. But the principle of setting planers is much the same. I have an old English built Wadkin 18 inch planer so I will explain how I do it. I have my own sharpener.

I have machined two blocks of hardwood that they are 150 mm long and exactly 50mm square. I set the gauge on the planer to 50mm and place the blocks on either side of the bed across the line of and under the head, then I place one of the knives in the holder and tighten finger tight so the knife will stay in place. rotate the head down to the bottom and adjust the knife until it just touches the blocks on both sides, If it too much rotate back to the top and lightly tap it down. At this point a little trial and error is required, then tighten just enough so the knife won't shift. depending on the type of head will effect on how you will adjust the knives but usually tapping down or levering up will do the job.

Repeat the procedure on the other knives then tighten them right up. Rotating the head the knives should all just touch the blocks. Check for tightening again. Take out the blocks and do a test run at the desired thickness. That thickness will be the same as the gauge.

Some planer heads have adjustment screws built in which makes the job easier but the procedure is the same. Instead of the blocks, a bridge over the top works well on some machines, but care has to be taken when making it so the depth corresponds with finished thickness.

I hope this works for you.

Merv

---------- Post added at 09:27:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01:43 PM ----------

I can't tell you about your other questions as I don't know the machine. I assume you have the anti kick back the right way round and the right way up so the the fingers lift when the board is fed in. I would have thought the chip deflector would only fit in the correct position and wouldn't affect the anti kick back and would not have to be removed.
I don't have an anti kickback on mine but I have worked machines with them. I do have an extraction system in my workshop.

Merv
Old 06-11-2018, 06:57:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Merv.
Yeah these Chinese machines are sold under many names around the world.

Setting the knives at this time seems fairly straightforward and I bought these magnetic setup tools for my friend as per the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk-5J6DkIHY With no manual we set the blades at .25mm proud of the roller diameter. Not having the anti kickback thingies working we haven't made a cut on it.

I reckon we'll just have to swear more as we try to get them put right.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:50:04 AM
Registered-I

I use this business for sharpening my Belsaw planer knives. They do a quality professional job: Lancaster Knives, Inc., 165 Court Street, Lancaster, NY 14086, PH. 800-869-9666.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:33:36 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,311 Times in 982 Posts

Can you match it up by a picture to some unit you can get a manual for?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:04:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ram Wood Planer

After a couple hours of searching I downloaded three manuals that are similar. Unfortunately none of them even mention the anti kickback assembly other than be sure the fingers move freely.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:44:36 PM
Registered-II

While many people consider the anti kickback a safety requirement, it really is not essential. My Wadkin does have provision for one but doesn't have it. I have had two other machines over the years without them as well. We have run tens of thousands of meters through them without any issues. The feed roller effectively stops anything from being spat out. I suppose if the machine has them then they should be left on it.

The magnetic tools would be useful for some jointers. For mine I just set the back table at zero and use a straight edge to set the knives That head has adjusting screws so it is easy.

Merv.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:41:33 PM
Registered-II

Do you have any pictures of the planer?
I have a (probably) similar one that I bought new over 30 years ago and I do have the manual somewhere around here.
Mine is labeled "Astro Machinery" from someplace in California.
It came with some wrenches and a fixture for setting the blades, by the way.

My anti kickback fingers have never had a functional problem. Actually, they create more problems than they solve, IMNSHO. If I set the height a bit too close and the board has a hump in it once it's an inch or two into the planer, then its a bi*&^ to get it back out.

Mine is a 2HP model that runs on 220 and it came with a stand.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 06-11-2018, 09:58:28 PM
Subscriber

Sent a txt to my buddy requesting pics.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48:41 AM
Subscriber

Piccys of the planer