Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Ram Wood Planer

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 1687 times

Old 06-12-2018, 11:00:28 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ram Wood Planer

Yup, that's the planer that I have. Mine has a few minor accessories, like rollers for feeding stock back over the top, but it sure looks like the same one.
I just finished scanning the manual. After I got done and was saving the images, I realized that my scanner cuts about a half inch off of these oversize pages. But most of the info is there.
I scanned at the best resolution I could get, so each page is from 2 to 4 megabytes. I can send it to you 3 or 4 pages at a time in a private email if you want it.
If you find that you need any of the missing info, I can re-scan any pages you need.
I think I may have attached the manual page that has the exploded view of the parts.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------Click image for larger version

Name:	Image15.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	312372
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 07:28:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,537 Times in 2,213 Posts

Thanks Pete. It's hard to see in there but take a look at the kickback fingers and try to determine in what position they're mounted. ** Don't try to take the chip deflector plate out as that has something to do with the multitude of the kickback fingers and that's where my buddy got into trouble.

My buddy forgot what the tool was for setting the blades and tossed it years ago. Can you give me an estimate of how far the blades stick out from the drum? We just made a guess and they're set to .010".
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36:56 AM
Registered-II

Okay----

I just uploaded the manual to my website.
Here's the link:
https://spaco.org/WoodShop/15InchAsianWoodPlaner.htm

The images are huge, so you should see all the detail you need.

There are some pretty good pix in there and good detailed instructions on setting knife heights, etc..

Let me know if you still need me to peek into my machine for additional insights.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Spaco For This Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 12:00:44 PM
Subscriber

Mega thanks for the work putting the manual up!

If you could, take your vacuum hood off and see if you can determine the height of the blade tips above the spindle. Dang I wish he hadn't tossed the factory setting tool.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:10:17 PM
Registered-II

I think the little home-made wood blocks on image8 will give you what you need.
I don't have time right now to take my hood off. I am loading up to demonstrate "using a jeweler's saw" to make precision cuts in steel" at a blacksmith meeting.
But, If you still need the numbers, contact me at spaco@baldwin-telecom.net.
I can get at it tomorrow.

If you live close to western Wisconsin, I could loan you my knife setting jig.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 06-13-2018, 02:08:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Pete, I'll bug you on Friday. Thanks for the offer of the tool but I'm 30 miles west of Milw.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30:52 PM
Registered-II

In post 5 in response to my post you mentioned that you set the knives at .25mm proud of the head I think you meant 2.5 mm. I would probably have them a little more possibly 4mm.
If there is a gauge on the in feed side of the machine for setting the cut, setting the knives using the method I described will give you the correct position. I couldn't see one in the photos.

My brother had a very similar planer but I don't remember the detail of it. It was a good planer and it had a lot of use before he sold it. I never used it.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:26:24 PM
Registered-II

Live and learn. I have never yet seen a planer with kickback fingers. What do the fingers attach to? If they attach to the frame but do not contact the wood then you will probably have to reset the height of the infeed roller and most likely the knives. If the fingers are somehow attached to the front of the chip breaker or something then some more cogitatin' is called for. There are very defined relationships between the infeed roller, the chip breaker, the pressure bar and the outfeed roller. Varying one will wreak havoc with the others. The best thing to know is the proper true cutting circle of the cutterhead. With that information you have a place to start and can set everything else to that. But without that, the prior poster's method, of using two precisely sized blocks, is an exceptionally good starting point because it lets you return the knives to the height they were at before sharpening - assuming the height gauge was set properly and also assuming the machine worked right before.

The diagram shown in an earlier post is small but from what I could make out I could not see where the fingers were nor did I see any evidence of a pressure bar. Odd.

Aha! I was skimming the manual scans and read that the outfeed roller should be set 1mm below the true cutting circle of the cutterhead. So if no one has monkeyed with the outfeed roller, you should be able to make the gauge block as shown in the manual and use that (or a planer gage if you have one) to set the blades so they are 1 mm above the outfeed roller, then work your way forward, although I did not see any mention made of setting the infeed roller height.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:16:09 AM
Subscriber

s100, post 11 first pic.
These look like umpteen saw teeth that are on a shaft and hang vertically. As the board passes through they are just going for a ride against the board surface. If the board kicks back they'll dig in and stop it from being spit back at you.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58:16 PM
Registered-II

Yes but what do these kickback fingers attach to? Is the shaft they are retained by mounted rigidly to the machine's frame, is it adjustable, or is it mounted to something that floats in position based on the amount of cut that has been dialed-in? If the kickback fingers are fixed in position (yes I know they move on the shaft in response to the wood but I am talking about the shaft right now) is the infeed drive roll's at rest position adjustable? If everything else is making proper contact with the wood then one of two things must be true. Either the fingers are too high or everything else is too low.

Generally speaking everything in the drive train is set based on the true cutting circle of the cutterhead. Why? Because that is the one thing that is really fixed - in the planers I have seen the cutterhead bearings are mounted directly into the main body casting. So there's no hope of adjustment there - note I said TRUE cutting circle, you can vary that by adjusting the knives up or down, changing the cutting circle, but that is not a good thing to do. So with the cutterhead fixed, again, one of two things must be true - three, actually. One, everything else must be adjustable to conform to the cutterhead, two, other components must be designed and built in such a way that they will always be in proper relation to the cutterhead (which makes proper knife setting of paramount importance) or else the manufacturer executed a shoddy design and simply hoped for the best or that no one would notice.

This is an extremely odd little planer and I have no idea which of the above three explanations are true for it. The manual pages don't say much about adjustments, just the outfeed roller if memory serves so who can say.

Another question, it is possible that the kickback fingers only come into play when taking heavier cuts. So if you shove a board in there then bring the table up until the knife touches the board, the kickback finger may not be contacting the board, by design. Try rotating the cutterhead so that the knives are not in contact with the wood, then bring the table up until the wood is nearly contacting the surface of the cutterhead itself (or until the thing won't go up any more). See if the kickback fingers are contacting the wood then.

Just had a thought, If the fingers are retained on that shaft, and if the shaft is mounted to the body of the planer, check and see if you can loosen then turn the shaft. If it is mounted on an eccentric then some range of adjustment should be possible.

Again, good luck!