Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Shed Addition (construction)

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 9284 times

Old 09-13-2008, 07:58:56 PM
Registered-III

Default Shed Addition (construction)

I'm getting real close to adding on to my "tool shed". My builder told me he thinks it would be cheaper to build a new 24X48 building than to put the same size addition onto my existing building. He talked about the span being so long that I would need "I" joists, or put a beam through the middle with additional posts. My existing building has 14' side walls so the shed addition should still give me enough room to store tractors, mowers, stump grinder etc. there, and I'm going to remove/reuse the steel from the west wall. Any suggestions comments?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2008, 09:31:40 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default Re: Shed Addition

I'm sure there is something to what he says. Nothing wrong with getting 4 walls instead of 3 I guess.
My only suggestion is if you are going to be working in it- put down insulation and tubing so you can have infloor radiant heat.
Get a guy who knows what he is doing and will do a complete heat loss analysis and system design. It will cost more up front than a hanging furnace or tube heater, but will be light years more comfortable and probably 40% more efficient forever. Furthermore, you can heat the water in the tubing with anything. Solar, wood, gas, LP, electric, corn, nuclear (someday) or whatever you have.
Kevin
Old 09-21-2008, 11:45:51 PM
Registered-II

I'd start hunting around the scrap yards for I beams. One big building seems like it would have more usable space than two smaller ones. Less wall area to lose heat from as well, if you will be heating.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,208 Times in 567 Posts

The only thing I dont like about the tube heating that kevin mentioned is that it does not heat up fast, it pretty much has to be left on all the time, but it is a very good heat source if you are going to keep it heated all the time. I use a hanging gas furnace, I only heat the shop when I know I will be working in there. In about 20 min. to an hour depending on tempature it heats up fast enough to work.
Steve
Old 09-23-2008, 07:26:43 AM
Registered-II

Roof slope, rafter span and local snow load will be factors in roof construction. Your local building dept. will give you all the information you need (free) to help plan it's construction.

Renee
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40:38 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Shed Addition (construction)

As things are moving forward I found out that my place is no longer zoned agricultural but has been changed to business. To complicate things further my homestead is deeded separate from the farm and they say I already have too many buildings on my 2 1/2 acres, there are 4, for that I need 10. So, my only option is to add onto my non-conforming building (or ask my in-laws for more land).

Here is my Barn (shop & garage) and Shed (farm equipment storage).

This is the south side of the Shed showing the west wall that I will be removing for the addition.

The structural guy said I can support the roof with 2X10's if I split the span with a LamBeam supported by a couple of poles.

Thanks for the heating suggestions but this is only a storage building. I'm only putting insulation under the roof to keep sweat from dripping off of it.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:29:00 PM
Registered-II

Nice looking structures, and they are nice and big. I quite like the doors on the end of the shed, with the gate type hinges.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:23:47 AM
Registered-III

Got the zoning resolved, township will let me add on the way I wanted. Still negotiating some details with the builder, then two weeks for the steel to arrive, might be November before we dig the holes.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:54:57 AM
Subscriber

I put a similar addition on my building 24x54. My existing building was 30x54 with 15 foot sidewalls and 6x6 poles on 6 foot centers. I sawed a bunch of 26' 2x10's for rafters, and bolted a rafter to both sides of each pole. I wish I had taken pictures (pictures are worth a thousand words). Then I wanted a 10' ceiling height next to the original building, so I came out with 2x8's horizontal from the poles, and tied them into my rafters, making a sort of top chord and bottom chord to my truss. Since everything was 6" apart, I boxed them in by nailing 2x6 between everything and made a half truss out it for strength. I used 2x4 purlins on 2' centers over my rafter arrangement, then sheeted with osb, covered with felt, then roofed it with tin.

When I do the other side of the building, I'm going to bolt a 4x10 timber to the side of my poles down the whole length of the building. It will be bevel cut for my 4/12 pitch, and I'll spike the rafters to that and put them at 2' centers. This will be simpler than my previous method, and eliminate all of those purlins. I still would come out with a horizontal 2x8 to every rafter for strength, plus do some trussing to keep it from sagging. We get snow (300 inches annual snow fall), and if the roof has sag to it, you'll play heck trying to get the snow to slide off.

Any questions, pm me and I'll give you my number. I'll be glad to help If I can.

Rick
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34:53 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Shed Addition (construction)

Well the lumber showed up yesterday and got the holes dug. Today was our first real day of construction. I think it went pretty good.

To start we removed the west wall of the building...

Then the end walls and center beam.