Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Ouch! Them flywheels can sneak up on you!

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1134 times

Old 01-31-2002, 08:41:36 AM
Wayne Z.

Default Ouch! Them flywheels can sneak up on you!

The bench where I'm working on my 3hp M is located next to an elevated floor(9"). I conveniently set one of the flywheels there between my cleaning vat and some junk. The thing wanted to roll off towards me so I chocked it with an end wrench. While moving things around,I accidently knocked the wrench out the way and turned to the workbench. The next thing I know,the flywheel lands on my foot! I was lucky that nothing broke('specialy the flywheel) as the bottom hit the dirt floor at the same time it hit the bridge of my foot. Just have a sore foot. So be careful with them flywheels! Wayne Z.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2002, 02:02:28 PM
Mark Congden

Default Re: Ouch! Them flywheels can sneak up on you!

Ouch!!!!! Mark Congden
Old 01-31-2002, 02:42:16 PM
Tom Winland

Had a bad episode myself with some flywheels a couple of weeks ago. I had the rod cap off and was bumping the rod in hopes that a stuck piston would come loose and took my eyes off what I was doing for a second and wham, I smashed my thumb between the rod and crank. Nail turned black instantly and blood everywhere. Guess I learned not ever to lose my concentration any more.

Tom Winland
Old 01-31-2002, 03:04:58 PM
Steve Gerot

I remember some one gave me the bright idea to start my Fuller & Johnson NC by turning the flywheel by hand. Lets just say when your finger gets between the engine and flywheel the flywheel does not stop. Luckily it had enough room for my fingers to pass in one piece but it was a tight squeeze. I lost 2 finger nails on that one. Worst of it is I did not learn my lesson, I still sometimes start it that way, making sure my hands are in a different position
Old 01-31-2002, 04:31:12 PM
dick from Ct

i noticed that when you lay them flywheels down flat that they dont roll very good
Old 01-31-2002, 09:12:50 PM
Tanner Remillard

yeah Tom, I did the same thing with my John Deere, smashed my finger between the crankshaft and the piston rod. Not just ouch, but a few other choice words to complete the process.

Also as many of us have in common, I had engine parts scattered from hell to breakfast and while working up on our bench I stepped down to fast and managed to misplace my foot on some John Deere flywheels, fell down, and came about an inch from cracking my head open on the corner of our welding table. That REALLY scared me. 2 accidents in a row, dang John Deere's anyhow!
Old 01-31-2002, 10:16:22 PM
JEFF B

I used to listen and read about you guys smashing your fingers and hands and think how careless.Also kind of ironic that this thread is running tonight. Just brought home a new engine tonight and it wasn't unloaded 5 minutes when I was turning over the flywheel to check the govenor operation.You guessed it,SMASHED THUMB! Nice way to get acquainted with a new engine. Jeff
Old 02-02-2002, 12:11:54 AM
Carl Mehr

Last spring I got away from the flywheel stuff long enough to rebuild my truck engine. In the process I cut my thumb and the three stiches cost my insurance company $1,500!!!! $500 for the doctor, $500 for the use (?) of the hospital, parts, etc; and $500 for "Hospital Administraative costs" (????).It appears smashed fingers are much cheaper. Carl
Old 02-02-2002, 08:15:36 AM
Bob Brown

Hey Tom, that will feel real good when it stops hurting. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. Bob Brown