Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 45.0EM Starter Ring Gear

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 688 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20:44 PM
Registered

Default Onan 45.0EM Starter Ring Gear

All,

A few months ago, I posted about buying a 45.0EM for use to power my hobby needs, and for a backup generator for the household. The road to get to where I'm at has been a bit long, and I have not reached my destination yet, for a variety of reasons. One thing after another....

The latest is that the starter ring gear has came off the flywheel. I'm assuming that the ring gear is heat fitted to the flywheel, as it would be on a standard Ford flywheel. I've not pulled the engine yet... Pulled the starter to confirm the diagnosis. Was a bit frustrated, so I let it be for a week. But, I obviously need a new ring gear.

My question is this... Does Onan use a standard sized Ford ring gear, or is it specific to Onan? I looked in one of the parts manuals and found part # 104-0723 seems to be the Onan #. But if it's a standard Ford sized part, might be easier to find it from a standard parts house. I'd like to go ahead and order one and get it shipped in so I can perhaps separate the head and engine this weekend, and get the ring gear fitted.

Next hurdle will be realigning the rotor and crankshaft.. Better start researching that procedure now, while I wait for a ring gear to be ordered and arrive.

Appreciate any info in advance.

Thanks!
Brad