Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Need Kohler / Waukesha Engine Ring-Gear Starter setup

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3263 times

Old 12-30-2009, 12:36:45 PM
Registered-II

Default Need Kohler / Waukesha Engine Ring-Gear Starter setup

Folks,

I have a Kohler 15RH82-67120C, S/N 279322, gen-set with manual crank/24VDC armature battery starting system on the armature.

I'm looking for information and/or parts to convert the engine flywheel to a ring-gear start (the present flywheel is smooth-edged; i. e., no ring gear - all other engine cast fittings are already machined for starter application).

The engine is a Waukesha 180 GKB Gaseous (propane).

Can anybody help with information as to parts numbers, parts, etc?

Thanks, JLB
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41:32 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Need Kohler / Waukesha Engine Ring-Gear Starter setup

This topic came up once before on here. Is your flywheel machined for a ring gear? Are you in farm country. The 180 Waukesha was used in the 4 cylinder Oliver tractors but there are at least 3 different ring gears with different tooth counts.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:34:59 PM
Registered-II

John,

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I'm not in 'farm' country; but, some's not too far away.

I do not know whether the flywheel is machined to a ring gear or not: That's why I put this query here: To try and get further information, drawings / part no.'s of various available flywheels, etc., for the Waukesha 180 GKB.

What further suggestions might you have?

Anyone else?

Regards, JLB
Old 12-31-2009, 02:13:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,146 Times in 906 Posts

Don't have anything on 180 gas; have a 180D parts book, which says, for flywheel: "variable-send engine serial #", so would assume, from John's comment, a 180G book would say the same...
You didn't say whether you checked with your area Wauk dealer to see if factory parts still available, but too expensive...
arrowengine.com is supporting some Wauk engines; 180's weren't on their list last time I looked, but it said to ask...
If 180's no longer supported by Wauk/Dresser the Wauk Eng Hist Soc may have parts #'s etc (wehs@me.com); they're all volunteer, only deal with engines that Wauk no longer supports, have no parts, just info.
If you contact them, I'd pass on John's comment (he's the expert) to make sure ring geared flywheels will go on the crank start engines; they should, but you never know...you'll also want to ask if there were different Bendix units for the differing tooth counts, or whether completely different starters were required...
I don't know what 180 engines go for, but one possibility might be to swap a whole engine, if that's not getting into more work/expense than it's worth...
If you'll advise which old/obsolete parts places you've checked, (email) I may be able to suggest others; from John's comment, Ag wrecking yards might be a source. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:39:20 PM
Registered-II

Hi

I have a 12KW diesel Waukesha with a 32 volt starter integrated in to the generator for starting. (there's a thread detailing the installation around here) When I first got it I too was concerned about having no traditional external type starter. However time has proven that the integrated starter is reliable and doesn't pose any real problems. Ok... It was kind of expensive shelling out for 4, 8volt batterys but probably far less trouble that trying to convert. I never checked to see if my fly wheel has teeth but there is clearly a place for a starter to bolt on the bell housing. At least in your case you'll get of relatively cheap, two 12V batteries and your done!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45:44 AM
Registered-II

Left-Lane,

I appreciate the thoughts.

We're 'Off-Grid' and I want to avoid the 24 V armature starting system.

I really do want to convert to a regular engine starter, if at all possible, however.

Anyone else have any information on flywheels, ring-gears, etc???

Thanks, JLB
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46:09 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Need Kohler / Waukesha Engine Ring-Gear Starter setup

Being a belt-and-suspenders kinda guy, I can understand wanting to equip a machine with ring gear and starter unit... however... why would you want to 'avoid' the 12v armature?

The advantage to armature start... is that you'll be able to crank the engine without having to overrun the bendix and chew-heck-out'a the works if the engine starts before starter disengages...

The next aspect, is that the auto-start controls all work around the armature starting system... converting to auto-start via ring gear is a totally different situation, so you'll be tearing the controls apart and re-engineering to make it auto-start with ring-gear.

If you're having problems getting it to start from the armature starting system, there's clearly something wrong. I went through this with mine (a FC140 Waukesha flathead) and the solution was actually pretty simple- give it TLC 'till you can hand-start it by stepping on the crank twice, and it'll start off the armature in the worst of the worst conditions.

And of course, being the belt-and-suspenders guy, I'm setting up my (three) gens up so that if any one of 'em is running, and I wanna switch to another, I can clutch the new one to the previous to flip it over... and if none of 'em are running, I can pull the recoil-start of a 5hp Honda and crank 'em with small engine power...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:11:48 PM
Registered-II

dkamp,

I appreciate the thoughts; but, I want to convert to a stand-alone 12 VDC starter motor system for it's commonness, as the armature-start is 24 VDC (not 12) and my off-grid homestead electrical system is 48VDC storage into a 120VAC inverter system. I'm really trying to minimize the 'mix' of systems (read that 'simplify') here so that my wife and grown sons can operate it in case of my not being 'available'.

I'm simply looking for flywheel options (O. D., ring-gear measurements, tooth-count, etc.) to take advantage of a standard 12 VDC starter. My Onan 12.5 JC's prestolite 12 VDC starting system beats the pants off any armature-start I've seen so far. "That's my plan, and I'm stickin' to it!"

Other thoughts? Anyone else?

Regards, JLB