Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

1/3 Case-Reduction Engineering Begining in Califonia

this thread has 88 replies and has been viewed 11072 times

Old 02-27-2018, 09:39:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1/3 Case-Reduction Engineering Begining in Califonia

Other project got canceled so I was able to get back to the slicer today. Cut the 1/2 by 24 ,it went pretty well. Took about 45 minutes per cut . What did take more time was that because the piece was much shorter the cutting had to happen over the casters and the saw had to move and be set up each time instead of just moving the work.I made a partial cut in the middle and came back after the end with the pivot was cut off. Once there was a good groove started the pivot was not needed . It only took a little less than 2 14" abrasive blades to make all 4 wheels . They are the Diablo brand from Home Depot , seemed to hold up well.

Some after thoughts:
The self feeding thing was very helpful that I hadn't foreseen. These casings are both in pretty good shape but I could have cleaned them up while in the slicer with a belt sander on the outside and wire cup wheel inside using it.

The foot switch was awesome but I was very conscious of it and kept it underneath the beam and unplugged it in between operations . If I was going to do very much of this I would build a guard for it.

I have had quite a bit of experience with portable gas chop saws. I got a great deal on this Makita and it did a great job on the slicer . It came with a diamond blade for concrete . I used it one time . The saw is underpowered for this purpose compared to gas , and because it is it has a tendency to climb out of the cut . I only lost a pair of pants . I don't recommend it for concrete . It is also slow for that purpose .Rent!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	304233   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel8.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	304235  

Last edited by sjkhouse; 02-28-2018 at 06:35:41 AM. Reason: added comment
The Following User Says Thank You to sjkhouse For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 11:05:20 PM
Subscriber

I haven't been able to get to the case with any regularity lately( and probably won't till fall) so I have tried to work on some side projects related .I am going to use the boring bar built by b7100 to bore the hole in the engine frame for the cross head. Check out 1/3 scale case boiler page 8 - 11-15-14. I want to take advantage of the "T" slots on the carriage of my Jet 1340 to hold the frame . I'm not sure when I"ll actually do the bore . I built the bottom piece to fit in the middle slot with adjusting bolts so that I can avoid shims . Frame in last pic is being held in place with shaft and washers that I made to get a center line for the bore and used them to set up the mill to do the top and bottom of the frame
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tslot1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	312662   Click image for larger version

Name:	tslot2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	312663   Click image for larger version

Name:	tslot3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	312664   Click image for larger version

Name:	tslot4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	312665  

The Following User Says Thank You to sjkhouse For This Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 11:54:11 PM
Subscriber

Be very careful with the setup to get the bore in the correct location in relation to the bearing. There is no room for error. Also make sure the cylinder end is perfectly square with the bore. This is one of the most complex setups of the project. Do you have a completion date scedualed?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:25:18 AM
Subscriber

when I started I thought 5 years was a goal . The amount of time I have had on the case recently that is in serious doubt. One thing is likely you and I will both be older!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07:48 AM
Subscriber

I sincerely hope you will be able to complete it. I try to advise people to think very seriously about what it takes in regards to resources, time and skill level before taking on this project. If your goal is to have an engine you may be disappointed. If you enjoy the building experience and the knowledge you aquire then that is a different story. I know of a few engines that have been started years ago and will never be finished due to lack of funds, equipment, time among other things in life that get in the way. People look at these engines and have no idea of what it takes. Some ask (how many have you built?). It can be a very rewarding hobby. It just depends on what your goals are and how much you want to invest in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08:56 PM
Subscriber

I got this dividing head from a friend . It needed some clean up but otherwise seems to be in good shape. I have a rotary table that has an oil fill and sight glass to indicate the level that the oil in the case . I removed the magnifying glass,on this dividing head to see in the gear case and expected to see some oil but there was none.
Other than screws on the main shaft I can't find and place to put any lube.

Anyone have any input for me about lubing this head ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dividinghead.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	313542  
Old 07-03-2018, 11:24:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,148 Posts

They don't use lube. Take it apart and grease it up and it'll be good for the next 25 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 10:24:38 AM
Subscriber

Bored the frame using the b7100 boring bar, worked great .Had Gary's Mitutoyo bore indicator came out within 1/2 thousandth .Drilled the spoke holes in the wheels. I cut a block of 4x6 with the spoke angle on it,(pressure treated happened to be what was available , not worried about termites !) At first I tried to clamp the hole thing , but then I lagged to the block to the table and lagged a metal stop on the block. With the lags I could have put the stop at the bottom, would have been better. The front wheels were pretty easy but trying to move the big ones one block was hard , so I sanded to corners of the block and greased them.The big rims are pretty heavy and because of the weight they wouldn't keep the angle of the block I put a "guide on the bottom using v blocks off the drill press post . I used a 1/2 H.S. center drill which got the 60 degree countersink and made a pilot hole at the same time . 21/64 went through very quick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boringframe.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	315562   Click image for larger version

Name:	drillingwheels1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	315563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drillingwheels2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	315564  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjkhouse For This Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 01:18:57 PM
Subscriber

Visited the grandchildren in Minneapolis and took a side trip to 2 shows in Iowa.
AT Charles city They had a 3 cyl Fairbanks Morse diesel . Pictures shows warming up the glow plugs before air start. Next picture is yours truly at my duty station almost 50 years ago in Vietnam . This engine was on a 100' tug at Qui Nhon harbor. It had 6 cylinders, a 16" bore and 20" stroke, was higher compression so no glow plugs , fired at top dead center because it was direct reversing. 300 rpm .Also at Charles city an original James Watt engine . I had a great time and met some of the people I have been messaging with on the smokstak including chrsbrbnk and seeing his beautiful 1/3 in action. Gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from him , thanks Chris.

Last pic is Mt Pleasant - I had no idea that there were this many operational traction engines!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fairbankscharlescity.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	317985   Click image for larger version

Name:	fairbanksviet  nam.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	317986   Click image for larger version

Name:	watt.jpg
Views:	37