Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

How noisy is an Onan 6.0 DJB

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 2614 times

Old 04-29-2014, 01:11:57 PM
Registered-I

Default How noisy is an Onan 6.0 DJB

Guys
I was doing research on a Onan DJB 6.0 as I am saving to snap one up the next reasonable price that I can find. Was doing some research and found a conversation between two gents on a forum of sorts regarding the DJB. Is there anyone who has one or who has worked on one can speak to its noise levels ? Thanks

And I am NOT trying to start anything........ (Well Maybe I am)

TomC:I have an Onan 6.0kw Air Cooled Diesel 2 cylinder DJB that uses vacu-flo cooling so you can install it in a sound proof cabinet. I have it at the house in a 3/4" plywood box with 1" lead foam insulation, a long 14" duct for the hot air exhaust, and a large muffler. The noise coming out of the hot air exhaust is minimal, the exhaust you can't even hear, but the combustion and engine noise reminds me of a Cummins truck engine running. Needless to say you can still hear the genset running 100ft away. And even with the rubber isolators, vibrates the concrete pad it sits on and transmits that vibration into the house. My opinion-WAY to loud and vibrates too much for bus use. Look for a nice 3 cylinder water cooled. MUCH quieter. Good Luck, TomC

gus:Good luck with that Onan. I had a gas air cooled one that was so noisy, heavy, hot and shaky that I gave it away. That thing drove me nuts. It was 1800 rpm too, so much for that myth!

Replaced it with a sweet little 3600 rpm liquid cooled Honda that was almost invisible. Best investment I ever made.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2014, 01:38:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: How noisey is a 6.0 DJB

I don't have a running DJB, but I do have a militiary MEP-002a which shares basically the same engine block, and loud is an applicacable word. It is an 1800 rpm generator, so the tone to the ear is more pleasant than a 3600 rpm screamer. It is probably overall as noisy as typical large portable consumer generator, I would say more mechanical noise because it is a diesel and less bite to the exhaust note though. So much more of a roar and less of a machine gun sound.

Otherwise there is a lot of truth in what they said a water cooled diesel will be quieter than an air cooled diesel, and Honda makes some incredibly quiet, light inverter units, I have a little Honda EU-1000i (950 watt rating), weighs 29 pounds, sips gasoline, and is so quiet I have to walk over to it to see if it is still running if I am more than 15-20 feet away the background traffic noise near my house drowns it out.

Ike
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21:26 PM
Subscriber

I have a MDJB 6 it is installed in a small enclosure and being watercooled the radiator is in a shed right next to it, with the top of the enclosure removed and the sides slid out of the way it is loud but with everything in place it is pretty quiet there is a good muffler on it and the exhaust is 14 feet in the air.
Bob
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36:55 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,502 Posts

there a little noisey, or alot to some.. go stand next to a dodge diesel truck thats a few years old at idle and youll get the idea.. it depends on where its running.. inside a shed will actually make it much louder in the open door direction.. only way to run one and not hear it is to have it underground.. unlikely for most people to do... in a closed shed or gurage with lots of air being faned inside to keep it cool it might not be so noticable but youll hear it..

im sure if dw onan was around today they would have something like those hondas.. maybe even better
Old 04-29-2014, 03:54:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: How noisy is an Onan 6.0 DJB

Pretty much what everyone else says. I had an MDJE (water cooled) and it was not quiet. I found it a very pleasant sound, but it was about as loud as a gas 3600 rpm unit. I have a Honda inverter now, and it is almost unnoticeable inside the house.

Still, if I had a choice, overall I'd rather have the MDJE.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27:46 PM
Registered-I

I am pretty sure that how loud it is ir relative to each individual user. I am currently using a 6.5 NH propane unit that is located 5 feet from my living room wall in a little storage room that I have the door open on while in use. I have to pretty much turn the tv way down just to hear it. I was hoping to install the DJB (once I get one) in the back yard about 50' away in an insulated, glorified dog house, with an opening on each end for intake and exhaust air.

I think that i can live with a little noise, besides I love the sound and the smell of diesels.

I guess I can make a more informed decision after I personally hear one run.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:38:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 914 Posts

There certainly are enough of them around that I am sure you can find one to listen to. If your ever in SW Louisiana you are welcome to listen to my MEP-002a, or my DJB if I get it going by then, I still need to get a starter for it as the next step.

Ike
Old 04-29-2014, 04:49:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,976 Times in 7,067 Posts

Well gus is full of it. I have heard some of those 3600 water cooled Honda's run. They make a droning noise that will drive you nuts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy J Shafer For This Post:
Old 04-29-2014, 05:11:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,482 Posts

Music to my ears folks when the grid power is down and I got to run one of my onans it is music to my ears. do not have a diesel onan but if I did I would not think to much of the loudness long as I got power the wife is happy and I am happy. years back we been out of power for a couple days and the neighbor had said something a bout my generator running at that time which was a 3600 screamer he was just jealous of me he did not have one to run well long story short he called me and said he needed to wash clothes and if he could borrow mine I said you sure it is noisy any how I loaned it to him and he got his clothes washed.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:33:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,027 Posts

Relative to what a person would consider as loud or noisy.

I work around multiple Jenbachers 420s running at full load all day long. Walking into the engine room without hearing protection will give you a headache in very short order. Wearing a good quality set of muff is OK if you are going to be in there for a short while, else you wear earplugs and muffs, still get a headache after 10 or 12 hours. They are noisy. My DJC, not so much in the overall scheme of things.