Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

IHC Corn Sheller

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 10711 times

Old 07-27-2013, 08:55:27 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: IHC Corn Sheller

There are a few places where this information can be gotten. Original owners manuals contain some part number information, but no dates. The best bet is the Master Parts Catalog...there was a MPC for all of the corn shellers, a different one for the feed grinders, etc. The MPC contains all of the casting numbers and what years they were used. You can pick these things up on eBay fairly regularly. I think original manuals go for around $20 and MPC's for $30-40. I like looking through the MPC to see what sort of optional equipment was available, such as a special electric flywheel that had a V-belt groove machined in it to be powered by an electric motor, and the "popcorn special" picker wheel inside the machine...

Jeb
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34:50 PM
Registered-II

I've added more pictures of the corn sheller to my flickr set. It seems like enough patina color is coming through that I'm not going to paint it. I removed the flywheel and wooden pulleys and put the flywheel back on. Do I need a bushing between the flywheel and frame to keep the shaft from sliding around?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9900611...7634809628604/

Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-28-2013, 08:08:18 AM
Registered-III

Nope, no bushing. The flywheel "clamps" the bearing between it and the stripper wheel inside the machine. Just slide the flywheel up against the bearing while pulling out on the shaft (to remove as much slop as you can) and then tighten the set screw. IHC made some good, durable, well made machines that work well and hold up. Should run like a champ for years and years!

Jeb
Old 11-18-2013, 04:14:51 PM
Registered-II

Jeb, any idea what I can do for a worn shaft housing? I have an IHC one hole sheller. I took off the handle and put a belt pully on the flywheel. It seems that the end of the shaft opposite the flywheel has worn through the housing (got too hot I guess) and now there is play in the shaft. Is that housing on the outside a piece that I can replace? I think I need to put grease zerks in the housings now that I am running the sheller on a belt pulley.

Thanks,
Darrell
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57:16 PM
Registered-III

Depends on how worn the bearing casting is. The options I see are:
1) bore it out larger and put in a sleeve to get it back to the original size
2) weld it up and re-machine it back to original size
3) remove the casting and send it off to have a new casting made

All 3 would require machine work. #1 would be the easiest, but there isn't much material left to machine out. Many of these machines have worn bearings and continue to work. Lack of lubrication was the problem as most people don't oil the bearings like they should. I would sleeve it if I could. If not, i'd go option #3 unless you can find someone who is familiar with welding cast iron....
Old 11-18-2013, 10:37:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,688 Times in 526 Posts

If you find where to get the round fan belt let me know. I have looked around here and no

one has the right diameter. I have set it up using an old Singer Sewing Machine belt and it works. However, I would like the correct belt.

Also, what is the correct color to paint it. Mine is pretty well rusted all over.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:53:49 PM
Registered-III

I believe some of the advertising suppliers on this site have the round leather material for use as these belts. Whether it is exactly 'correct' to original I don't know as I've never seen an original or OEM corn sheller fan belt.

I used a round rubber chain tightener band that is used on vehicle tire chains. It stretches to perfect length, does not slip and is readily available at any parts store. I just removed the half dozen or so metal chain hooks and slipped it over the flywheel, gave a half twist and put it over the driven pulley.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50:48 AM
Registered-III

I'm pretty sure it's 3/8" diameter round leather belt. I got mine from Hit-and-Miss enterprises, but other vendors on this site carry it as well. Remember that it needs to twist in a figure 8 in order to turn the fan in the right direction.

As for paint, the scheme did change slightly over the years, but not by much. Basically, the entire machine was IHC red. The fan pulleys and the hand crank parts were painted IHC blue. Stenciled on words were done in cream (IHC White).

When I restored mine, I left the side panels as unpainted galvanized metal, and I painted the flywheel spokes in Rustoleum Hammered finish black just for some contrast. I also painted the feed tray in the same Rustoleum Hammered Finish black that I did the spokes.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:13:11 AM
Registered

I was doing research on my IH sheller and ran across a tip that said you could take the rubber seal out of the lid of a five gallon bucket and use it as a fan belt. When my sheller is put back together I will try it out. Don