Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Adding Fuses to CCK

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1894 times

Old 05-20-2006, 08:39:42 AM
Registered-II

Default Adding Fuses to CCK

Have the portable version of the CCK. Would like to add some overcurrent protection to my genset.

First, was considering removing the two old style 220V outlets that I don't have a use for and adding fuse holders in their place. Want to use the household type screw in fuses. Any reason that this would be a bad idea?

Second, was thinking about fusing the field windings. Does anyone know how much current draw would be expected so that I could properly size a fuse? Looking at the size of the wiring, I'm guessing that a 20A automotive fuse would work, but don't have anything to actually measure the current to make a decision. This is a manual start only plant, so there is no high current draw for starting to worry about.

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2006, 10:00:40 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Adding Fuses to CCK

Good Idea

The high current draw doesn't have anything to do with starting up the generator, it happens when you start a motor connected to the generator.

Anyway, the edison base, screw in fuses can be bought in time delay and non TD types. The non TD would provide better protection if you don't have significant starting surge requirements. Either one will not reliably trip at the nameplate amps, and may go along for quite a while at something like 20% over, but the non TD should trip faster. Both will provide short circuit protection, which will be great to have.

For the field, borrow an amperage clamp meter and load the set to capacity and then measure the amps on the field. You may have trouble finding fuses in the amperage range you need for the field. Small glass fuses are available in a huge range of amperages, TD and non TD etc from industrial supply houses like WWGrainger.

One way to provide fuse holders is to use "outdoor" rubber mounted incandescent light sockets with pigtails and put in fuses instead of light bulbs.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35:15 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Adding Fuses to CCK

you don't really need the furzes cause when it's over loaded it gust stalls the motor but the way you want to ad fusees is gust fine but circuit breakers gust have to be reset
Old 10-20-2009, 09:36:59 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
you don't really need the furzes cause when it's over loaded it gust stalls the motor
That MAY be somewhat true for a balanced (240 v.) load, but not so for an unbalanced load. The CCK's engine will happily try to supply a full 5+ KW through a single 120 v. winding that is only rated for 2000 or 2500 watts. The result could be smoke.

I prevented this problem in my CCK by wiring it for 120 volts only. I don't know if this is an option for your unit since you did not include your full model number. (hint, hint)

I don't know if mounting your fuses where they might get wet is the greatest idea. Perhaps bolt on an inexpensive outdoor fused disconnect box?

Vaughn
The Following User Says Thank You to VaughnSimon For This Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 03:48:37 PM
Registered-II

Hi Dough,

It was ages ago that I posted about wanting to add over current protection to my CCK (May of 2006). I never got around to it. One of those projects that just fell by the wayside. Have used a amp clamp meter to measure what I am drawing at the transfer switch and have found that everything seems to stay within the limits of the generator. Only exceeded 20A per leg draw when the well pump or the sump pump starts, then drops back down.

Vaughn, only 3 slip rings. Can't re-wire it. Wouldn't want to anyway since I need 220 Volts for the well pump.

Funny that since I got that old CCK set working, we seldom seem to lose power any more.

Tim
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22:52 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
It was ages ago that I posted
Sorry, somehow your post got dragged back to the top of the pile and (since it was first thing in the morning for me) I failed to notice the date of your original post.

Vaughn
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50:39 PM
Registered-II

I have a 4.0 cck rated for 33 amps 120/240. I installed circuit breakers 15 amps per leg. One of the circuit breakers feeds a 20 amp rated duplex outlet, my other 120 volt circuit breaker feeds a second 20 amp duplex outlet and an additional 15 amp rated duplex GFI duplex receptacle. I usually place my largest load items on the single duplex and lighter loads on the dual (4 plug) circuit breaker.
I have run this unit for several days after Hurricane Dolly and it never missed a lick. I realize my breakers are a little lower than rated power but felt like it wouldn't make much difference.. Ben