Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Engine pattern?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2342 times

Old 01-06-2007, 06:31:15 PM
Registered

Default Engine pattern?

Hello World, I'm Russ Allen, a new kid on the block. Mike Rock mentioned this forum on a woodworking site I frequent. My main interests are pattern making and casting. I do have an engine related question I'd like to ask. I bought what was purported to be a fire hydrant pattern and put pictures of it on the web. Someone wrote to say that he thought it was a pattern for a single cylinder, two stroke engine. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has an opinion on that. The only marking is a single W. I was told that stood for Watertown, NY where the pattern was supposed to be from. I hope it's antique enough to mention here. http://www.nonesuchtools.com/hydrant/

I noticed that the steam show I frequent was not listed on your calendar of events. I added it and marked myself as an attendee. It's August 9-12 in Sycamore, Illinois. http://www.threshingbee.org/

And lastly, I've been searching the archives looking for an iron foundry that will do small orders. My thanks to those posters. The foundry I was using went out of business. I didn't see the non ferrous foundry I've used mentioned. It's the Batavia Foundry in Batavia, IL. http://www.bataviafoundry.com/ An iron foundry would probably be more useful to you guys but I thought I'd mention it. No financial interest- just a happy customer.

thanks,
Russ Allen
Rolling Meadows, IL (NW suburb of Chicago)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Engine pattern?

Russ- Welcome to the "Stak" !!! The pattern does indeed appear to be for a 2 cycle engine. For getting small orders of parts cast in iron, I have had many parts cast at a foundry in St. Anne, which is just a bit south of Kankakee. If you are into making foundry patterns and if you have an interest in making patterns for others to make some extra cash, have I ever got some projects for you!!! I've made some simple patterns before but now I need a core pattern made that isn't really beyond my ability to make as far as skills are concerned, but I'm just not really a woodworker and I do not possess woodworking tools. I'm a machinist and mechanic, but not a woodworker. Sycamore is a great show, but I sure wish they had a larger show grounds. I've exhibited at the show there for a good many years.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:53:00 PM
Registered-III

That appears to be a pattern for a single cylinder, 2-cycle marine engine of about 2 to 4 horsepower. That pattern would have been for the water-jacketed cylinder and upper crankcase half. Many such engines were made in the 1900-1920 era by a number of manufacturers. Detroit Engine Works was a major player.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:47:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,987 Times in 1,309 Posts

Here are photos of my 3 hp Watertown 2 cycle marine engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1665 (Small).JPG
Views:	125
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	15254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watertown3 (Small).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	15255  
Old 01-06-2007, 09:56:47 PM
Registered

Wow, that didn't take long. I guess I'll have to update my web page! I feel bad about having a guy drive around Watertown, NY looking at the hydrants.

thanks!
Russ
Old 01-07-2007, 08:56:05 PM
Email Not Working

Hi Russ
I don't know alot of the different engine types out there but my expertise on this site is casting and pattern making. I sell castings for a foundry and know many people in the business. I was a patternmaker for 15 years so I try to answer questions when they come up.
For cast iron foundry near you you might try State line foundry in South Beloit IL. There is also someone near Janesville Wi. I think it's a steel foundry I don't know them yet.
I checked out your web site. You have some intresting projects.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:41:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,793 Times in 193 Posts

I spent several hours a few weeks back in Batavia at a fellow's house looking at patterns that came out of the Shumway foundry in Batavia, IL. We were looking for engine patterns, but didn't find any at the time. He had more that hadn't been removed from the foundry old building as he didn't have inside storage space.

If you have all the pieces with a pattern, on a pattern board etc, the foundry in WI would be the best cost wise on multiple pieces. The foundry in St. Anne does a fine job with loose pieces.

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58:25 AM
In Memory Of

We went to State Line foundry in South Beloit IL. they did not even want to look at our paterns without a appointment. we did get them to look, but they were very rude and said the would not do our order.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:05:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barr View Post
I spent several hours a few weeks back in Batavia at a fellow's house looking at patterns that came out of the Shumway foundry in Batavia, IL.
Shumway's was a great place. They didn't mind small, loose orders. I was gloatably in their Rolodex. When I dropped off some patterns one time I asked if they needed my number. It was a proud moment when they said no, you're in the Rolodex. I nearly fell over. It's a shame they went under after four generations. The Batavia Historical Society has a page with some interesting stuff on them. Apparently they came into being after the Chicago fire created a need for castings. http://www.bataviahistoricalsociety.org/foundry.htm

I have had stuff cast in iron at the Plymouth Foundry in Plymouth, IN. It's got to be on a board as they have an automatic molding machine. It's a long story but I had just over a thousand pounds of door stops cast there. The salesman and foundry foreman were great. http://www.nonesuchtools.com/mwtca

I'm also having trouble finding machinists willing to do small runs of oddball jobs. Has anyone had success with this? Am I the only one here without a mill? Some of my castings are in the eight or nine pound range. I'd like to find someone local to avoid shipping them to and from the mythical odd job machining house. I'm slowly acquiring metal working tools. I hope to eventually be able to do the work myself. It's mostly just squaring up the castings, drilling and threading holes. Nothing as precise as engine work.

thanks,
Russ