Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Genset Marquis 7k Trouble

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 453 times

Old 06-06-2018, 05:20:45 AM
Registered

Default Onan Genset Marquis 7k Trouble

Hello,

I am new to thread and new to rv ownership. I have a a Fleetwood Bounder (92) with on board Onan marquis 7k. Genset will not start. Getting file but nonspark. Will spark once when depress starter switch. Please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600E9947-1E2C-4BBF-95A5-BA47AAA9CF68.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	311931  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2018, 06:38:10 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan Genset Marquis 7k Trouble

Has it ran before or is this gen new to you ? The experts will be along to help.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:00:30 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,453 Posts

Here is a little information to help out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7NHMFA26106C.pdf (31.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf 611-1196.pdf (269.3 KB, 9 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MBB For This Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 08:39:52 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,931 Times in 2,088 Posts

Download the manuals here: http://www.skilledcrafting.com/onanfiles/

965-0531 service
965-0631 install
965-0131 operator
940-0230 parts

---------- Post added at 08:39:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27:07 AM ----------

The most common cause of the symptoms you describe is rodent ingress into the generator section housing the ignition rotor. The rodent will build a nest which causes one of the ignition rotor arms to snap off when the generator is cranked, resulting in loss of spark. Read pages 6-10 through 6-12 of the service manual for a description of the ignition system and troubleshooting instructions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,951 Times in 4,333 Posts

Can take the ignition modual out and look down the hole to see if you still have 2 arms, there's a magnet at end of each plastic arm that triggers the ignition modual. Mouse nest or mud wasps can break off the arms.

One fan blade is shorter than rest so can remove modual, careful don't snap off an arm with modual while finding short fan blade. Other option is modual could be bad, check for 2 arms first.

Last edited by len k; 06-06-2018 at 12:24:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 03:30:18 PM
Registered

Does it have to come out of rv compartment to do so?

It is new to me. Acquired it as is. Previous owner says they were using it and it just stopped could not get it started. Turns over no problem.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:17:43 PM
Registered-III

Cover has to come off, and look down hole from top, cover bolts on from both front and backsides , plus 2 bolts on top . Possible also on left side (exhaust side)

Don't know your RV, but usually RV's don't leave any extra space in gen compartments for anything.

Here's a pic of mine with cover removed. In this pic you can see the 2 bolts and edge of bracket that holds the ignition modual. It's just to right of exhaust and intake manifolds and long spark wire that's running top to bottom in pic. (backet is bolted to aluminum genhead casting.)
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...0&d=1459232088

Ignition modual and arms are show in service manual 965-0531 on paper page #6-10

Also :
Ignition Modual is item # 9 on paper page 33 of parts manual 940-0230
Plastic arms that break is item #14 on same page

Last edited by len k; 06-06-2018 at 10:58:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 02:06:59 PM
Registered-I

I don't think you'll have to take the cover off to do this. At least, I didn't with my 4BGE. But you may have to remove the genset from your compartment. My RV has a swing-down platform that gives some access to the genset to work on it.

You can follow along my playing with my ignition control module here:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176987

This is the module (the thing in the middle on the bracket with the 2 bolts holding it in place and the white cable bundle coming out of it):

When you remove the two bolts (be careful not to drop them down into the genset! the ignition control module will come out. But it will only come out when you get the short fan blade lined up with the module. Remove the spark plus (so the motor turns easily) and then use a 3/8" hex wrench on the generator end of the genset to turn the motor until you find the one shorter fan blade. You'll have to peek around the loose control module with a flashlight to see it.

You can see here I did not know about the short fan blade and instead I dropped the module down into the genset and had to fish it out:

Here is what the short fan blade looks like. Once you get this blade to this position, the module will come out:

What you are looking for is the ends of the ignition control rotor. You can see one end of it down in the hole here:

The rotor has 2 ends, like a propeller. Each end has a magnet on it of opposite polarity. These pass under the ignition control module and tell it when to fire the spark. This rotor is made of plastic and can break off. As you can see in my picture, mine was fine.

They say critters can build a nest inside the genset, and then when you try to fire it up the propeller hits all the nest crap and breaks off.

It is a royal pain in the ass to replace, from what I can tell. You have to split the genset in half to get at it.

Hopefully yours is still intact.

Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maillemaker For This Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 05:59:53 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
I don't think you'll have to take the cover off to do this. At least, I didn't with my 4BGE. But you may have to remove the genset from your compartment. My RV has a swing-down platform that gives some access to the genset to work on it.

You can follow along my playing with my ignition control module here:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176987

This is the module (the thing in the middle on the bracket with the 2 bolts holding it in place and the white cable bundle coming out of it):

When you remove the two bolts (be careful not to drop them down into the genset! the ignition control module will come out. But it will only come out when you get the short fan blade lined up with the module. Remove the spark plus (so the motor turns easily) and then use a 3/8" hex wrench on the generator end of the genset to turn the motor until you find the one shorter fan blade. You'll have to peek around the loose control module with a flashlight to see it.

You can see here I did not know about the short fan blade and instead I dropped the module down into the genset and had to fish it out:

Here is what the short fan blade looks like. Once you get this blade to this position, the module will come out:

What you are looking for is the ends of the ignition control rotor. You can see one end of it down in the hole here:

The rotor has 2 ends, like a propeller. Each end has a magnet on it of opposite polarity. These pass under the ignition control module and tell it when to fire the spark. This rotor is made of plastic and can break off. As you can see in my picture, mine was fine.

They say critters can build a nest inside the genset, and then when you try to fire it up the propeller hits all the nest crap and breaks off.

It is a royal pain in the ass to replace, from what I can tell. You have to split the genset in half to get at it.

Hopefully yours is still intact.

Steve
The marquis is more incased than the bge.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:12:34 PM
Registered-III

Pics in these links compare cover of NHE and NHM. Cover for NHM is lot larger.
But once you get NHM cover off the ignition modual is as shown in pics of post #8 by maillemaker.

NHM ----> http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...p;d=1419791732

NHE ----->https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FrOAHsDMQrY/maxresdefault.jpg