Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Microlite 2000 KV remote wiring help!

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 240 times

Old 10-13-2017, 10:43:42 AM
Registered

Default Onan Microlite 2000 KV remote wiring help!

Hi folks,
I have an Onan Microlite 2000 KV. Model # 2 KVFR33742E, Serial # 5197U1G1RA that I'm restoring. It was fitted with a remote switch (which I don't have) but the previous owner just cut the wires I have the 'engine-side' connector (six-way plastic P5 in the wiring diagram and switch side connector J5) but can't find a wiring diagram that gives me the connections to a remote switch.

I can't get a remote switch in the UK and buying one from the US costs a fortune in postage and tax so, I thought I could make up my own using a decent momentary On-Off-On switch. Most switches have 3 connections so I'm trying to establish which of the coloured wires from P5 I should connect to the switch and also, if it would be possible to incorporate a light that was on when the Onan is running?

Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Colin

The wires from the engine side are connected to a connector (J5) and numbered 1,2,3 and 6 (numbers 4 and 5 are blank)

The switch-side connector (P5) are also numbered and correspond to connector J5. Number 1 is black, 2 is brown, 3 is yellow, 5 is orange and 6 is red - number 4 is blank.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2017, 02:39:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,285 Posts
Default Re: Onan Microlite 2000 KV remote wiring help!

Colin, Welcome to the Stak.. The Onan manual site that a lot of us rely on is presently down. I found this manual that might help you.
http://b190.com/files/Onan-Cummins%2...e%20manual.pdf

This covers several of the Microlite series sets. Look on your generator data plate where you got the model and serial number from. On the data plate they will say "Use wiring diagram XXX-XXXX" Look at section 12 of the above pdf I enclosed and find the wiring diagram that corresponds with your set. Sometimes, not all of the wires for the remote start apply to your particular set.
Here in the states, you can buy a various length wire loom that plugs into your generator remote start plug and directly into an Onan remote start switch assembly.
This is an example with the switch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onan-Factory...JT~l0G&vxp=mtr
"Ma" Bell.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:58:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,575 Times in 4,048 Posts
Default Re: Onan Microlite 2000 KV remote wiring help!

On your remote switch you want it spring loaded so it returns to off (center) when you release it .

The remote is just that switch and optionally a light , voltmeter , elapsed time meter.
What your paying big money for is the cosmetic plastic case. Functionally all you need fora remote is a $5 switch and 12V dash light bulb.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:28:20 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Onan Microlite 2000 KV remote wiring help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Colin, Welcome to the Stak.. The Onan manual site that a lot of us rely on is presently down. I found this manual that might help you.
http://b190.com/files/Onan-Cummins%2...e%20manual.pdf

This covers several of the Microlite series sets. Look on your generator data plate where you got the model and serial number from. On the data plate they will say "Use wiring diagram XXX-XXXX" Look at section 12 of the above pdf I enclosed and find the wiring diagram that corresponds with your set. Sometimes, not all of the wires for the remote start apply to your particular set.
Here in the states, you can buy a various length wire loom that plugs into your generator remote start plug and directly into an Onan remote start switch assembly.
This is an example with the switch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onan-Factory...JT~l0G&vxp=mtr
Thanks Motorhead! I've downloaded the manual and found the wiring diagram. Your help is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
On your remote switch you want it spring loaded so it returns to off (center) when you release it .

The remote is just that switch and optionally a light , voltmeter , elapsed time meter.
What your paying big money for is the cosmetic plastic case. Functionally all you need fora remote is a $5 switch and 12V dash light bulb.
Thanks Len K. This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. My concern is that I wire up a switch and light correctly. I've found a wiring diagram for my Microlite that shows the Onan remote switch/light (Fig1 in the picture). Then (in Fig 2 in the picture) I've sketched out what I think would be the correct connections/pinouts for my setup using a momentary on-off-on switch and light. Does this look right?

Thanks again for all your help.